Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Some positives to take (bowling first two sessions Day 2 and Malan/Root partnership) but the game was lost when we were bowled out for 147. Stating the obvious but we need to stop losing so many wickets in a session. Probably see Broad and Anderson back in for Adelaide - Leach will drop out and I imagine they’ll leave out Woakes (unless Stokes/Wood aren’t fit to bowl in back to back tests).

Wish BT had picked a different anchor this time around.

I think we all expected the inevitable collapse. Root and Malan batted well the day before but typical with England, they're out early doors the next day. Lack of concentration. Rest of the batting line up was dogshit, as usual. 

• Like 1

I wonder what the selectors would give to have someone like Jonathon Trott available ? Of course , quite a few in the media sneered at his slight eccentricity but I don't think England have anyone  with his power of concentration now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

I wonder what the selectors would give to have someone like Jonathon Trott available ? Of course , quite a few in the media sneered at his slight eccentricity but I don't think England have anyone  with his power of concentration now.

All we've got is a lot of brilliant explosive short form players.  None of them have the patience or concentration for a 5 day game anymore.  They've been purebred for whacking off a rapid 50 and have no idea what to do if the game plan doesn't consist of that. 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

All we've got is a lot of brilliant explosive short form players.  None of them have the patience or concentration for a 5 day game anymore.  They've been purebred for whacking off a rapid 50 and have no idea what to do if the game plan doesn't consist of that. 

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, veloman said:

Where is the incentive for players in England to become good long form players anymore?. The money is in the clown cricket. The county championship now is book ended at the start and end of the summer, with the short form stuff taking the prime summer months. 

• Like 1

Cummins out because he’s a close contact with a COVID case and has to isolate for 7 days. Smith back as active captain which is an interesting little story, no Hazelwood or Cummins really changes things and hopefully Richardson and Neser can come in and do a job.

Australia are all about this 2-3-4 batting line up - you can't let them settle in and bat for 60 overs, they'll wear you down and build a run rate.

That drop from Butler is a big one. 

England need to break this partnership soon before we find ourselves looking at 150-1.

Evening session is going to be massive.  England are already well down on the run rate I think and after being hit with fees last time around, Root is going to have bowl several overs as well, particularly if they want to use more overs with the new ball in the dusky period. 

Â