Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Just got Lollipop for the Moto G. First impressions: everything seems to run a lot slower.

Be prepared to do a factory reset sooner rather than later. As long as everything is automatically backup up to Google, it won't be painful. (Famous last words.)

qjFOmM0l.jpgBIu9ZmZl.jpg

Well shit. Gravity 1 - 0 Nexus 5.

The wife dropped her Nexus 5 last night. Digitiser is cracked, screen still works. I think they are glued together on the N5 aren't they? The camera housing is damaged too (I think the kids did that one) so it's time for a repair job on my part. Has anyone tried to do this particular job? I'm thinking of sourcing the parts from eBay and following a guide from iFixit or YouTube or somewhere. I could go to the local phone repair shop, but they seem like a bunch of clowns in there.

I've done it on mine. Thought I posted about it in here actually. If you want me to do it, just send it and a screen :-)

Not a difficult job and mines been perfect ever since.

Well, I did drop it again 2 days later and separated the screen from the body but it's fine :-)

• Like 1

Just got Lollipop for the Moto G. First impressions: everything seems to run a lot slower.

Be prepared to do a factory reset sooner rather than later. As long as everything is automatically backup up to Google, it won't be painful. (Famous last words.)
Back "everything" up to Google? How do you do that? I mean, my photos upload automatically, but apps, phone numbers, notes, etc.?

Your apps are automatic unless you've turned them off (Settings->Backup & reset).

All the contacts you've saved to your Google account will still be in your Google account and will appear by magic. Test by logging into your account on a desktop and clicking the "Mail" drop down in the top left and selecting "Contacts". If they aren't there you'll need to work out how to move them all, but it's usually easy. I don't think I've "lost" my contacts since my last but one Nokia feature phone.

I don't know what "notes" means. Could you put them in Google Keep and then they are automatically backed up? Or upload them to Google Drive?

I also don't know what "etc" is.

How do you back it up at the moment? In case of loss or whatever.

Don't know what notes app you use, but they normally have an export option so I would go for that to back those up.

MOst app data will automatically be backed up, as Limpid said, but when I did a factory reset my notes app lost everything.

Don't know what notes app you use, but they normally have an export option so I would go for that to back those up.

MOst app data will automatically be backed up, as Limpid said, but when I did a factory reset my notes app lost everything.

This means you would have lost it if you lost your phone too :( Did you change to a different app?

I'm pretty surprised that any "notes" app wouldn't automatically backup .

This means you would have lost it if you lost your phone too :( Did you change to a different app?

I'm pretty surprised that any "notes" app wouldn't automatically backup .

Yeah I've changed now.

I thought it was backing up, I can't remember the details but there was some sort of option on there that I thought was an auto back up, But either I did it wrong or it didn't work properly.

Edited by Stevo985

I don't. [emoji15]

Maybe I'll just stick with Lollipop. [emoji10]

After the reset you'd still be on Lollipop, just less glitchy (hopefully).

The new moto g looks good value at £150. 5" screen, good battery, dual sim, quad core, 8MP camera, micro SD card slot... What's not to like?

I don't. [emoji15]

Maybe I'll just stick with Lollipop. [emoji10]

After the reset you'd still be on Lollipop, just less glitchy (hopefully).

The new moto g looks good value at £150. 5" screen, good battery, dual sim, quad core, 8MP camera, micro SD card slot... What's not to like?

It'll be interesting to see it against an Xperia E4 though.

5.1 on the nexus 5. Seems to have cured the memory leak issue. Tweaked a few odd bits of lollipop too.

I need time to have a proper play but it seems to have brought my N7(2012) back to life.

Managed to drop my N4 and smashed the screen so its pretty much unusable. Good news is that it's an excuse to upgrade the phone. Any advice on a phone to buy outright which doesn't cost the earth?

Â