Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Got to work this morning.

Getting off the bus my phone was fine. I was using it to listen to music and check facebook etc.

Turned the music off and popped it in my pocket.

Get to my desk 2 minutes later and the power button is jammed. It's stuck in so the phone has turned off and I can't get it to turn on. If I plug it in it just goes into a reset loop.

So frustrating!

Got to work this morning.

Getting off the bus my phone was fine. I was using it to listen to music and check facebook etc.

Turned the music off and popped it in my pocket.

Get to my desk 2 minutes later and the power button is jammed. It's stuck in so the phone has turned off and I can't get it to turn on. If I plug it in it just goes into a reset loop.

So frustrating!

Quite impressed with Google's customer service.

Spoke to them on Tuesday about my phone. Then got sent an email asking for some details like IMEI and whether I'd dropped the phone etc

Wednesday they sent me a link to order my replacement Nexus 5, which I did, and I received it yesterday. Very quick turnarond. now just need to send them my old one.

Unfortunately my auto backup doesn't seem to have worked on Android so I'm starting from scratch :(

5.1 has a few nice improvements though.

Edited by Stevo985

Google and Amazon are awesome when something goes wrong with you've bought from them. Especially Amazon in my experience, they instantly send you a replacement/refund and give you 30 days to return the defected item.

Yeah pretty much what's happened.

My only trepidation is that you effectively get charged for the replacement, and once they receive your faulty device they cancel the charge assuming your phone hasn't been drowned or anything.

There is a crack on my Nexus 5, just below the sim card slot.

It's been there for a while though, and it really annoyed me because I've kept this phone so carefully. Always had a case, NEVER dropped it. Yet this crack appeared. So I guess it's a stress crack or something from being in my pocket.

So my fear is they'll see that crack, assume I've dropped it and blame the faulty power button on that. Even though I'm 100% sure that's not the issue.

Hopefully I'm being paranoid.

qjFOmM0l.jpgBIu9ZmZl.jpg

Well shit. Gravity 1 - 0 Nexus 5.

The wife dropped her Nexus 5 last night. Digitiser is cracked, screen still works. I think they are glued together on the N5 aren't they? The camera housing is damaged too (I think the kids did that one) so it's time for a repair job on my part. Has anyone tried to do this particular job? I'm thinking of sourcing the parts from eBay and following a guide from iFixit or YouTube or somewhere. I could go to the local phone repair shop, but they seem like a bunch of clowns in there.

I've done it on mine. Thought I posted about it in here actually. If you want me to do it, just send it and a screen :-)

Not a difficult job and mines been perfect ever since.

Well, I did drop it again 2 days later and separated the screen from the body but it's fine :-)

Just replaced my smashed Nexus5 screen. Bought the screen and digitizer off Amazon ages ago but have put off fixing it til now as worried about buggering the phone up. However, it was really easy by following youtube clips.

Seriously The_Rev just buy the screen/digitizer and do it yourself. Mine works great!

• Like 1

My only trepidation is that you effectively get charged for the replacement, and once they receive your faulty device they cancel the charge assuming your phone hasn't been drowned or anything.

It's been there for a while though, and it really annoyed me because I've kept this phone so carefully. Always had a case, NEVER dropped it. Yet this crack appeared. So I guess it's a stress crack or something from being in my pocket.

So my fear is they'll see that crack, assume I've dropped it and blame the faulty power button on that. Even though I'm 100% sure that's not the issue.

Mine has that crack too. Not sure what from.

They don't charge you for the replacement until after 90 days of not sending the old one back though.

Ok, I've still not ordered the parts yet as Mrs The_Rev has just been using my Nexus 4. I should get on it really. Which vendor did you use on Amazon?

So they send out advance replacements?

I'm assuming the take credit card details beforehand just in case you don't send it back?

Ok, I've still not ordered the parts yet as Mrs The_Rev has just been using my Nexus 4. I should get on it really. Which vendor did you use on Amazon?

I got mine from a seller on eBay with decent feedback. They're all around £40 now for the same OEM part so you're just looking for a decent seller from feedback.

Just search eBay for nexus 5 screen and you'll see loads. You need the screen + frame rather than just a screen.

After it arrives just set them down side by side and transplant the internals from one to the other. You'll need a small screwdriver set but that's about it. Took me half an hour ish.

• Like 2

Anybody got experience of Samsung Galaxy S5 and/or HTC One M8?

Through work I can get 20% off the network price so could get either of the above 1000mins, unltd texts and 1GB data for £20 per month. Tempted, reviews seem to have them neck and neck. Wondered if anyone has any first hand experience.

Edited by Genie

If it's locking you in for 2 years then I doubt 1GB is enough data. They are both going cheap because they are about to be replaced. This probably doesn't make much difference unless (again) it's a two year lock in. Personally I don't like the manufacturer added software on either handset, but the network operator is more important to me than the other criteria. O2 is down around here (again) and they are promising a fix on the 10th. There's been no usable data for a couple of years. So glad I was on giffgaff and able to move network freely.

I get that they are both being replaced right now hence the price. They are both still about £300ish phones to buy outright so for about £180 I'm getting 2 years of calls, texts and data which I don't think Is too bad.

I only tend to use about 600-800mb of data each month as I have good wifi most places I go. Network wise I'm quite happy as they are powering my work iPhone and that always work wherever I tend to be.

As you say, not sure I want to tie in for 2 years, but then again the alternative is to stump up the cash for the handset and then pay about £12 for the same tariff (for £8 a month I can avoid the outlay...) pfff decisions.

My current contract is about up with o2, I'll request PAC code and see if they are in the mood for a deal on a simo or mobile.

There's also £70 quidco cashback on that Vodafone deal.

£20x24=£480

-£70 = £410

= £17.08 per month.

If I remove £300 the handset then its just £4.58 per month for the tariff.

Don't have experience with the Galaxy but I've had the M8 for the past year and a half and have found it ok. Relatively quick with a very nice display.

Two quibbles I have with it are the camera and battery life. If you're interested in taking photos on it, the camera is good in daylight but dodgy at night. Battery life is meh - lasts about a day.

Â