Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I don't think I've explained very well, the insurer would require it to identify the phone is my understanding, if the phone is dead for whatever reason and the physical identifying label has been rubbed off, as is the case, they would be unable the identify the phone, which leads to my concern that, besides theft/loss, the policy I've just renewed might not pay out.

they'll be able to get the IMEI off the phone another couple of ways. 1 is pulling the back off, the other is hooking it up to a computer 

So I took the plunge yesterday and bought a nexus 6 and I'm glad I did. The phone is incredible! The size was the thing that was putting me off but I love it and it doesn't actually feel that big when using it. The screen is superb and the front facing speakers are ideal for watching films and listening to music. If anyone's tempted by the phone I'd highly recommend it.

Both this and the new Moto X are ideal but the lack of either on contract is just ridiculous but not as ridiculous as the trade in values for Nexus 5 - anybody would think it was a £150 handset when launched.

How would they get the IMEI if it was stolen?

They can't, but he was referring to the phone dying and him having to claim

I'm suggesting that they don't actually need the IMEI. If they did there would be a way to pre-register it.

So I took the plunge yesterday and bought a nexus 6 and I'm glad I did. The phone is incredible! The size was the thing that was putting me off but I love it and it doesn't actually feel that big when using it. The screen is superb and the front facing speakers are ideal for watching films and listening to music. If anyone's tempted by the phone I'd highly recommend it.

Both this and the new Moto X are ideal but the lack of either on contract is just ridiculous but not as ridiculous as the trade in values for Nexus 5 - anybody would think it was a £150 handset when launched.

I don't buy phones on contract but you can get the nexus 6 on contract at carphone warehouse. I'm not expecting to fetch much for my nexus 5.

I believe they might have introduced an IMEI registration system , I just can't recall whether I added mine, or if it was introduced after I initially set up the policy.

Anywho... I can't see myself claiming as I can see the phone being retired shortly...

Speaking of which - whats the smart money buy Android wise at the moment? I've been keeping a close eye on the OnePlus One, but that seems to have it's issues (I'd like a microSD, and the screen whilst good isn't the most 'shiny' of things these days), a colleague is trying to get me to pick up an Oppo Find7, but that is notably more expensive, has excellent specs, including a jaw dropping screen and expandable memory, but is on old software and I'd prefer a more stock Android experience (I'm happy to let Cyanogen slide), and Oppo have a terrible record of updating things. Ideally wouldn't to mess around changing the OS if possible.

No interest in contracts and I think I'd need to take leave of my senses to buy a Galaxy phone or the like. Nexus was the obvious choice but cost and size is probably just too much.

I thought the size was going to be an issue for me but it isn't at all. Its more expensive when compared to other nexus handsets but when compared to similar models, the note 4, iPhone 6 plus its still much better value. It does depend what you use your phone for I guess, if its music, films, games and internet then go for the nexus.

It's certainly the best phone I've ever owned.

Also the first one I haven't even thought about upgrading (yet. But I've had it for 14 months)

Edited by Stevo985

It's the one I skipped, but I bought one for Mrs The_Rev so I'm extremely familiar with it. It just strikes me as a handset which will be remembered as a classic in years to come, even if you don't take the ridiculously low price into consideration.   

Chindie, I'm not using a OPO and it's excellent. Screen is very good, not quad HD but as good an LCD screen as you can get. Battery life is excellent, it's incredibly responsive and has some nice Cyanogenmod features. With 64GB internal, you don't really need an SD card. And it's off contract and great value.

I ran some benchmarking software recently and only the Galaxy Note 4 was better, supposedly.

Chindie, I'm not using a OPO and it's excellent. Screen is very good, not quad HD but as good an LCD screen as you can get. Battery life is excellent, it's incredibly responsive and has some nice Cyanogenmod features. With 64GB internal, you don't really need an SD card. And it's off contract and great value.

I ran some benchmarking software recently and only the Galaxy Note 4 was better, supposedly.

Thanks. That's where I'm leaning right now I think. It seems the best compromise. And it's the cheapest. Just need to get hold of an invite once my bonus comes around. A got at work has actually sent me 2 already but burgh times I've not been of the mindset to replace the Nexus.

Anyone had any experience of buying the invites online? I don't mind adding a few quid to the price to save the hassle of trying to get one.

Ask around on forums, there are usually a few people with invites to spare.  You have an account on rllmuk right?  The Android thread there (in off topic) is very active and there are quite a few OPO owners who could hook you up. 

Nexus 5s were so cheap they were almost just Google access devices; given away at cost by Google to get people to use their services.

I think manufacturers weren't happy about being undercut. So that boat has sailed which is a shame because I just want an incrementally better nexus 5 from now on.

Edited by darrenm

I'm not sure that was a huge factor, how many Nexus devices get sold each year?  I'd wager it's a drop in the ocean, certainly not enough to make a dent in the numbers Samsung and HTC are getting. 

I dunno. Perhaps not. I know a lot of people with nexus 5s though, and not just people who I've introduced to them. It's not just the lost money, it's the precedent and expectation of cost.

Â