Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Unfortunately the cost of the Nexus 6 seems to be a nice stick to beat up Google with, every review mentions the price jump between the 5 and the 6 however price doesnt seem to be an issue for the considerably more expensive iphone 6 or 6 plus. 

Unfortunately the cost of the Nexus 6 seems to be a nice stick to beat up Google with, every review mentions the price jump between the 5 and the 6 however price doesnt seem to be an issue for the considerably more expensive iphone 6 or 6 plus. 

I'm not sure it's the main sticking point, I mean I looked at a lot of Nexus 6 reviews because it was the handset I had intended to buy if it got good reviews (I've bought a Nexus S, Nexus 4 & Nexus 5 in the past) and the things which put me off in the reviews were the poor camera and the disappointing battery life.  With the increased price I think it was safe to assume that a better camera would be included but it still takes forever to focus compared to rival handsets and my mind boggles that a 3200 mAh battery has been disappointing to so many different reviewers.  

I unplugged my iPhone 6 plus at about half past three this morning.  I've made several phone calls, sent and received 20 or 30 messages, dicked around on Vine and Instagram, spent a good hour browsing Reddit and the web and listened to mp3s for almost five hours.  The battery is sitting at 43%.   I've never known anything like it and as far as I can tell it's leagues ahead of the Nexus 6 on that front. 

I'm not sure it's the main sticking point, I mean I looked at a lot of Nexus 6 reviews because it was the handset I had intended to buy if it got good reviews (I've bought a Nexus S, Nexus 4 & Nexus 5 in the past) and the things which put me off in the reviews were the poor camera and the disappointing battery life.  With the increased price I think it was safe to assume that a better camera would be included but it still takes forever to focus compared to rival handsets and my mind boggles that a 3200 mAh battery has been disappointing to so many different reviewers.  

I unplugged my iPhone 6 plus at about half past three this morning.  I've made several phone calls, sent and received 20 or 30 messages, dicked around on Vine and Instagram, spent a good hour browsing Reddit and the web and listened to mp3s for almost five hours.  The battery is sitting at 43%.   I've never known anything like it and as far as I can tell it's leagues ahead of the Nexus 6 on that front. 

I certainly don't have a batteryproblem on the nexus6. Unless I do something insanely stupid I'm somewhere between 60 and 70 % when I go to bed. God knows what those testers do to it. Not saying it's better than the Iphone but a problem it is not.

I guess different people use them in different ways.  A guy I work with has a N6, he has grumbled about the battery life too.  There were just too many people saying it for me to take the plunge. 

Android seems much more prone to ridiculous battery drain. Often this is due to the more useful multi-tasking which gets abused by shitty devs. Wakelocks are still a huge problem which can have a massive impact on battery life.

• Like 3

The battery issue is more than likely one that can be fixed with a software update,and may have been already. It is a huge battery, and should last longer than the reviews. I too read a lot of Nexus reviews and that did put me off too initially. Also I guess the display is a huge battery hog.

I do find it odd that a Nexus convert would go over to an iPhone. I've been running Cyanogenmod for a while now, I think the lack of customisation would hurt me going to IOS. That and the insanely inflated price of the iPhone. The 6 plus is the best iPhone ever though so I can see why it is popular.

A colleague just so happened to receive an invite today, I'll be making the jump tonight!

Maybe a bit late now but I recommend the official clip on cases and a tempered glass screen protector. I've dropped mine a few times and it's kept it tip top. MKBHD also mentions in his video review that the textured back is prone to wear, so I decided to cover mine, a nice as it is, because I care about aesthetics.

It's arrived today. Bought a flip case when I bought it as I other having something on a phone at least. Never been a fan of screen protectors though so well have to consider that one.

Quite impressed so far. I think I'll fully migrate across tomorrow. Definitely a step up in size from the Nexus 4, but the depth makes it feel less substantial.

Looking for a cheap nexus 7 (even a2012 version) and it doesn't natter if its refurbished. Its for an autistic kid to help with learning. Site needs to be trustworthy and reliable as the person I am buying for was ripped off last week :(

Looking for a cheap nexus 7 (even a2012 version) and it doesn't natter if its refurbished. Its for an autistic kid to help with learning. Site needs to be trustworthy and reliable as the person I am buying for was ripped off last week :(

I've got one somewhere. I'll look for it tomorrow, and if I find it, you can have it. If I've still got it, it's boxed and in mint condition

Edited by P3te
  • Like 1

What's the battery life like on the one plus one?

I use no battery saving software because it's unnecessary. I find it excellent, I've only ever run it down once but that was with what I consider very heavy usage on a day put in London.

If you really want you can throttle the CPU clock speed to conserve battery(out of the box, no superuser required).

Mate that is superb! Can you PM me with a price etc if you find it? Cheers! :)

Found it... but it's not charging for some reason :(

Sorry about that man, was gutted when I plugged it in and nothing happened

What's the battery life like on the one plus one?

You'll get a day and a half out of it at least, unless you're playing games on it. I tend to get up to 3 days sometimes

One of mine did that out of the box, I just let it charge for an hour or two and it woke up eventually. Looked like a "dead on arrival" first

• Like 1

One of mine did that out of the box, I just let it charge for an hour or two and it woke up eventually. Looked like a "dead on arrival" first

I'll plug it in and leave it plugged this evening for a few hours. Hopefully that'll do it!

Â