Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

What's the best Android alternative to an iPhone 6+?  I've only ever had iPhones, but enough is enough.

Android is all about choice. What's important to you? Escaping from the silo isn't easy; the first thiong you realise is it's not one size fits all.

I'd recommend the Xperia Z4 (due in a few weeks). Two day battery, waterproof (IP68), wireless charging, great screen, lightweight skin. It'll probably be my next phone.

• Like 2

I wonder how many warranty claims they get for water damaged phones. Obviously not enough for them to stop using it as a feature so it must work well.

What's the best Android alternative to an iPhone 6+?  I've only ever had iPhones, but enough is enough.

Android is all about choice. What's important to you? Escaping from the silo isn't easy; the first thiong you realise is it's not one size fits all.

I'd recommend the Xperia Z4 (due in a few weeks). Two day battery, waterproof (IP68), wireless charging, great screen, lightweight skin. It'll probably be my next phone.

Similar sort of size to the iPhone 6+ as I watch a lot of films when travelling, battery life, decent camera.

I like the look of that, would like that as my next phone too.

Rumours seem to have it at around £600 rrp though. Bit steep

Similar sort of size to the iPhone 6+ as I watch a lot of films when travelling, battery life, decent camera.

Personally I have a £100 tablet for traveling (hudl2).

I like the look of that, would like that as my next phone too.

Rumours seem to have it at around £600 rrp though. Bit steep

It's cheaper than an iPhone 6+ though :)

I doubt I'll buy it until the price drops a little.

That Z4 looks great, but there seems to be uncertainty as to whether it will be launched outside Japan, and I haven't seen anything to suggest a release date is imminent.  What is the S6 like, any good or do I hang on for the Z4?  Thw two day on the ZXperia would be a huge plus point for me.

I don't like the Samsung skin so I can't recommend it. You might get on with it fine, but I dislike all bloatware.

The Z4 will be released and there won't be much of a delay. Japan isn't a particularly large market.

If you're in a rush, buy the Xperia E4 and sell it again when you want the Z4.

When you buy a windows PC from PC world and it comes with all kinds of crap preloaded - that's bloatware.

But on phones you can't get rid of it. Therefore you need to decide if the phone you get is worth the bloatware. It's why nexus phones are popular with heavy android users, they have none as they're a pure google phone like iphone is a pure apple phone.

• Like 2

Ah OK, thanks.  Are Samsung bad for that sort of thing then?  I thought the deal with Android is that it was a lot easier to deal with that sort of stuff than it is with Apple.

Ah OK, thanks.  Are Samsung bad for that sort of thing then?  I thought the deal with Android is that it was a lot easier to deal with that sort of stuff than it is with Apple.

Samsung were historically the worst because they decided it was their duty to differentiate themselves from other manufacturers and reinvent the wheel so their phones were only just recognisable as Android. They put their own version of almost every popular app on the phones but made them look garish, cartoony and weren't really very good. You would always need to just install the Google version of every app anyway so you'd have Chrome + Samsung browser, Google Music + Samsung music player, Google Hangouts + Samsung SMS app etc.

Yes and no with the second point. You can root almost any Android device and then get the bloatware off but it's only the same as jailbreaking an iPhone (well, similar). The deal with Android is more choice really, the fact that if you like what manufacturer A adds onto their devices, you can buy that but if you just want the barebones you can go Nexus, or something else like OnePlus who also supply it very vanilla.

The debate on this has raged for years. Some famous battles were had on here with CVByrne who preferred the Samsung apps and thought that Android without manufacturer bells and whistles was too basic. That's the choice.

Thanks Darren.  That's sort of why I've stuck with Apple this long, because I liked the fact that everything was simple.  But no longer.  The iCloud has messed things up beyond belief. I've gone into a bit more detail on the Apple topic, but essentially, what should be the simplest task of moving stuff (music, videos and photos) from your iTunes library to your phone is now akin to trying reprogram the Large Haydron Collider with a Vic 20.

Android is about choice and the right tool for the job, not one size fits all. Some people love Samsing's skin. Some people don't. There's room for everyone.

I can heartily recommend the Nexus 6 as a great phone. I do feel it's a bit pricey for a "one generation behind the newest" handset right now though.

Â