Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I just love the Sony phones. Have had plenty of time to play with the Z, Z1. The Z2 looks amazing.. I might even go for one of the tablets. I've given my N5 to my partner too. As much as I enjoyed that phone, it just hasn't given me the hit that the Xperia Z phones do. I did flirt with the idea of getting a different phone - http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/4578-the-all-things-apple-only-topic/?p=1453190, but it just wouldn't satisfy me.

Edited by dodgyknees

Got the Moto G myself the 4G version. Got what I think is a good deal. Paid £60 for the handset and got a 1 year contract on EE 4gb of 4g data unlimited text and calls at £20 a mmonth can't complain.

£60 + 12x £20 = £300

SIM-free handset from Tesco £149. 12x GiffGaff £12 £293

I'm sure you can find the handset cheaper than the first place I looked. GiffGaff has no lock in so you can move as soon as you find a cheaper network deal. GiffGaff has unlimited data and 4G will be no additional cost (O2's network). Three might be cheaper if you need more calls than GiffGaff offer.

Your deal wasn't bad if you don't mind the 12 month lock in.

Got the Moto G myself the 4G version. Got what I think is a good deal. Paid £60 for the handset and got a 1 year contract on EE 4gb of 4g data unlimited text and calls at £20 a mmonth can't complain.

£60 + 12x £20 = £300

I'm sure you can find the handset cheaper than the first place I looked. GiffGaff has no lock in so you can move as soon as you find a cheaper network deal. GiffGaff has unlimited data and 4G will be no additional cost (O2's network). Three might be cheaper if you need more calls than GiffGaff offer.

I've noticed your dislike to contracts lol

£60 + 12x £20 = £300

I've noticed your dislike to contracts lol
I have a contract. It's month by month so that I'm not locked in.

So Nexus owners, what would make you upgrade in the next month?

I am definitely looking at whatever tablet comes out as my Nexus 7 (2012) is a little long in the tooth and the rumoured jump in screen size is exactly what I am looking for.

The Nexus 6 or X or whatever it is called is a different matter. I think my Nexus 5 will still be current for another 12 months so unless the rumours of the Google Gem watch being bundled with it are true I will be holding off on this upgrade.

When's Android L likely to release?

About another month.

Still waiting on the 2014 Nexus release too.  It should be the first phone with L, I'm guessing it will be late October/early November as it has been in previous years.  Rumours seem to suggest the hardware will be my Motorola, based on the current Moto X.  I'm jumping but that's from a Nexus 4.  I don't especially need to, but the battery on my 4 ain't what it used to be and I can now get 4G at work which would require a new handset.  Moto X (2014) hasn't reviewed as well as I'd hoped, mostly the battery which can be a real pain for me because of the nature of my job, but it's still on the shortlist with the Sony Z3 and the Nexus X.  I'll have bought one of them by December. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Google appear to be on the way to pretty much killing off independent devs. By the end of the month anyone publishing a paid app or app with purchases needs to put a physical address on the Play store which is displayed to everyone. No problem for businesses, not so good if it's a one-man dev team that works from home.

I thought it was bad enough having a real name requirement for store comments but this is awful, I can only imagine the fun trolls are going to have.

Their stance is that this is a legal requirement, because Google insists that app developers are the sellers, and therefore are the ones subject to any laws that sellers need to abide by. Apple, Microsoft and Amazon take the opposite stance by acting as the seller to protect devs.

Edited by Davkaus

Â