Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Want some advice?

Will you be putting a case on your phone? If so, stick with the black Nexus 5.

Don't get me wrong, without a case, the white is better. I think it's a lovely looking phone.

BUt once you put a skin or a case on it, the little bits of white you end up with sticking out just never look very nice. IMO obviously.

It's a purely aesthetic thing and doesn't really matter. But if I was getting a replacement I'd be more than happy with a black one.

• Like 1

Want some advice?

Don't get me wrong, without a case, the white is better. I think it's a lovely looking phone.

BUt once you put a skin or a case on it, the little bits of white you end up with sticking out just never look very nice. IMO obviously.

It's a purely aesthetic thing and doesn't really matter. But if I was getting a replacement I'd be more than happy with a black one.

Only one thing is that the white may be a bit cheaper on the 2nd hand market to buy as they're not quite as sought after. I remember when I got my white Nexus 5, almost everyone else was after the black one. They were out of stock but it was easy to get the white version. I now have a hybrid :) white back but rubbery surround when I replaced the cracked screen with a black front.

• Like 1

Mrs The_Rev has a ringke fusion case on her white Nexus 5 and it looks great.  Stevo's advice seems misguided to me.  That said, if you are getting a N5, 32gb red is the way to go. :D

Want some advice?

Only one thing is that the white may be a bit cheaper on the 2nd hand market to buy as they're not quite as sought after. I remember when I got my white Nexus 5, almost everyone else was after the black one. They were out of stock but it was easy to get the white version. I now have a hybrid :) white back but rubbery surround when I replaced the cracked screen with a black front.

Stevo does raise a very good point. I have the Ringke fusion case on my N4 so would get the N5 version. I'd probably go black in that case.

Ref Darren's point, I'd only ever get it new. I really don't like the idea oh holding a second hand phone to my face. 

Nexus 9 up on Amazon for pre-order 16gb at approx £318.00 & 32gb @ £389.00 at today's exchange rates

Given how cheap memory is these days manufacturers are taking the piss with charging £71 for an upgrade from 16GB to 32GB. I bet it costs them about £2 more to make the 32GB version.

Mrs The_Rev has a ringke fusion case on her white Nexus 5 and it looks great. Stevo's advice seems misguided to me. That said, if you are getting a N5, 32gb red is the way to go. :D

I've got a Spigen case in black. And the white bits of the phone you can see (only tiny bits by the headphone socket and that) look weird.

When I had a D brand skin as well the white that show through (a lot more in the case of a skin) looked down right crap to be honest.

It looks better with a white or light coloured case, but then the case or skin gets dirty very easily (I had the yellow official nexus case and it was dirty in literally minutes)

Like I said, its a tiny issue. But if you're walking a case on it anyway, so nobody will see the white back, then I'd just go for the black and have something that looks better (albeit a tiny amount) better

When she gets in from work I'll take a photo of her phone in it's case and put it in the thread.
vBpoYt2.jpg

Gallery. Could have probably done a bit better with the photos, but my son (age 3) was trying to climb on my head when I was taking them. :lol:

There are no weird white bits peeping through the black parts of the case, it's actually a nice contrast.  Definitely one of the better N5 cases out there. 

Edited by The_Rev

Due an upgrade next month. Currently using a Note 2. It's been ok but no standout features. Not bothered about staying with android or switching to apple. What phones do you guys use / recommend?

Do you want another big phone or would a normal size phone be ok?

Big - Note 4, 6+, Nexus 6

Normal - moto x 2014, xperia z3, HTC one m8, lg g3 or iPhone 6

Budget - last years flagships, nexus 5 or a moto g

Edited by Ingram85

Â