Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Yeah, but is it 'shopped by Google?  Guess we will find out soon enough but it came from a credible source and the internet is running with it for the time being. 

Why would Google make M a 64 bit operating system?  They will do what Apple have been doing, get 64 bit processors in handsets until they reach a critical mass and then go for it.  It's 3-5 years away minimum. 

Because where else are they going to innovate, Screen resolution is higher than is useful, battery life cannot improve massively and cameras will not get better with the increase of megapixels.

Apple, Samsung, LG and HTC will all want to get 64bit handsets out asap, not in 2- 3 years because by that time they will be left behind.

The OS for Apple and Android are unified so a 64 bit OS isnt just about the mobile in your pocket its the ipad and the tablet you use and it will be interesting to see how the announcements in the next 48 hrs will pan out on that front.

Why would Google make M a 64 bit operating system?  They will do what Apple have been doing, get 64 bit processors in handsets until they reach a critical mass and then go for it.  It's 3-5 years away minimum.

Because where else are they going to innovate, Screen resolution is higher than is useful, battery life cannot improve massively and cameras will not get better with the increase of megapixels.

Apple, Samsung, LG and HTC will all want to get 64bit handsets out asap, not in 2- 3 years because by that time they will be left behind.

I don't understand why users would care. I want a flexible (drop proof) waterproof device. I want a watch that lasts a week between charges. I don't care how many bits the OS uses to address RAM (and I'm a techy).

The OS for Apple and Android are unified so a 64 bit OS isnt just about the mobile in your pocket its the ipad and the tablet you use and it will be interesting to see how the announcements in the next 48 hrs will pan out on that front.

I don't know what this means.

It's only the LG Nexus handsets which were cheap.  The HTC (Nexus one) and Samsung (Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus) were priced up there with flagship phones.  

I don't think Nexus is a no brainer any more.  The price never really was an issue for me, over the course of two years or so £500 isn't much more expensive than £400 if you can cover the initial outlay, but Android has changed where updates aren't as big a deal as they used to be because so many parts of the OS are released as apps these days, and with the exception of Touchwiz, which is the devil, manufacturer skins are a lot better too.  Not sure I want a phablet sized phone (I might have a look at the iPhone 6+ tomorrow when I pass the Apple store just to get an idea of how big the N6 is going to be) so I will sit and wait on reviews.  I'm still interested, but I'm also interested in the Moto X (have reservations about the battery life) and Sony G3 (unsure on Sony's skin) so I think I will wait on N6 reviews and go from there.  I might pre order one if it is easy to cancel ahead of shipping. 

I don't think Nexus is a no brainer any more.  The price never really was an issue for me, over the course of two years or so £500 isn't much more expensive than £400 

The early ones were also expensive, but the Nexus 5 was £340 for the 32GB version or £300 for 16GB. The Nexus 4 was about £270 for the 16GB version.

Price was certainly the main benefit of the recent Nexus releases for a lot of people.

Still, this one is still fairly well discounted. A Note 4 costs £575.

Edited by Davkaus

I'm more interested in the Nexus 9 than the 6. I think a 6 inch phone is just that bit too big for me.

5 is pretty much the perfect size.

I'll stick with my 5 for now. May look to change next year depending on what's out there, but I doubt it'll be the 6 unless seeing one in the flesh changes my mind.

But the 9 interests me. My Dad has a 10 and whilst it's great, it looks like a fisherprice "my first tablet" or something. Which isn't a huge deal, but I'd like it to be a bit more premium. Which the Nexus 9 looks like it is.

May well invest in one of those.

Edited by Stevo985

It has a bigger footprint than the iPhone 6+, an already ridiculously sized phone. Its like cartoon clown phones are taking over.

I really like the 2014 moto x but even that is a touch too big. The perfect size phone (size, not actual perfect phone) was the s4 for me. 5inch screen, it was light, no bigger than the s3 and 7.9mm thin. Spot on.

Edited by Ingram85

The Nexus experience is the finest out there and now with good battery life (one would assume) to go alongside bleeding edge specs, it's just the size and camera that are sticking question marks for me.

6 inch quad HD amoled screen sounds good on paper. Is think the 6 inch phone will still fit in your pocket and most people will use their phones two handed when they can with other large flagship phones.

I like the look of the Nexus 9 too, that snap on keyboard is interesting. Chromebook like useability?

I've been patiently waiting for the N6 data to decide what to do about my N4. I bloody love the phone but it has 2 major problems. 1 storage at 16GB is annoying and 2 battery is giving up about 8pm each night when I spend a couple of hours on and off the net.

At 6" N6 is too big so I'm out after that.

I'll be looking for a N5 32GB (probably in white) as a bit of a Christmas present to myself. Anyone wanna buy a mint Nexus 4 :D

Edited by Genie

Â