Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

From EN 50332:

At volume settings for which the sound level is greater than 85 dB(A), the user must be informed by a visual or audible signal, and must acknowledge the signal, before he or she can override the volume limit to allow replay at these settings. The warning has to acknowleged at regular  intervals. The equipment must default to a setting which gives less than 85 dB(A) when switched on.

So it's a legal thing on devices sold into EU markets. You'll need to root to get around this and possibly even change ROM.

This isn't Android specific, it applies to all battery powered personal music players.

• Like 2

Ah, didn't know that, thanks.

It's really annoying though, but guess there's nothing I can do!

I could tolerate it on my music, but it seems if I use Netflix on my phone I don't get the warning, but the volume won't turn up. So I have to quite out, turn on some music, turn the volume up to get the warning and dismiss it and then go back into Netflix and continue.

Which is a bit of a chore.

Oh well.

The Google photos app created a new 'story' for me the other day, based on my visit to China. Some would consider this intrusive, but I think it's incredible. 

Using my location data from my mobile, it's given me a day by day photo diary of my trip, with incredible animated transitions that show the places I've been on the maps, the districts, restaurants. It evens tells me what time I went to different places, and long journeys I made on the map. It's scarily accurate and freakishly cool. This is a google photos 'story'. I took loads of 10 second videos of in China, to create a sort of vignette video of the trip but never got round to it, this is just as good. 

I would never have the inclination to do one of those myself, but it's been done for me, and probably just a cool as I could do myself. It's even discarded blurry pictures etc and used photos I would have picked as the best. Along side the fact you can automatically upload all your photos to G+, this is another crazy good feature of G+/photos. 

(But my S2 is finally dying, lagging like crazy on CM. Gonna have to bite the bullet soon, or when the One Plus One becomes available) 

My Oneplus One is at the post office. I randomly got in invite after messaging asking how one gets one if they dont know anyone who will get one.

Ill let VT know if i get any invites that are spare 

• Like 3

I have only 444MB of free space on my Nexus 4 and can no longer update apps from Google Play, is there a way around this? Seems a bit silly as the updates will only be a fraction of the free space I have.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

I have only 444MB of free space on my Nexus 4 and can no longer update apps from Google Play, is there a way around this? Seems a bit silly as the updates will only be a fraction of the free space I have.

delete some stuff?

Clear cache?

Not sure it was worth the upgrade personally.  Mrs The_Rev has a Nexus 5 and it's clearly superior, but not that much unless you really wanted 4G.  They still don't have 4G where I live (though they do where I work) so I was kinda stuck with the Nexus 4.   Still, it will be new phone time before the year is out. At the moment I'm most interested in whatever the successors to the N5 and the Moto X are. 

The N5 is much nicer looking than the N4, imo.

Which might not mean anything for some people.

(on a side note, I hate the fact that I put a case on my N5. Takes away those looks :( )

Why put a case on then?

because when I want a new phone I want to be able to sell this one to get some money towards it. And it'll look a lot better if it's in good nick.

My s3 was scratched to shit when I finished with it.

So as rubbish as it is to cover it up with a case, it'll be better in the long run.

Â