Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The Google photos app created a new 'story' for me the other day, based on my visit to China. Some would consider this intrusive, but I think it's incredible. 

Using my location data from my mobile, it's given me a day by day photo diary of my trip, with incredible animated transitions that show the places I've been on the maps, the districts, restaurants. It evens tells me what time I went to different places, and long journeys I made on the map. It's scarily accurate and freakishly cool. This is a google photos 'story'. I took loads of 10 second videos of in China, to create a sort of vignette video of the trip but never got round to it, this is just as good. 

I would never have the inclination to do one of those myself, but it's been done for me, and probably just a cool as I could do myself. It's even discarded blurry pictures etc and used photos I would have picked as the best. Along side the fact you can automatically upload all your photos to G+, this is another crazy good feature of G+/photos. 

(But my S2 is finally dying, lagging like crazy on CM. Gonna have to bite the bullet soon, or when the One Plus One becomes available) 

• Like 3

Is anyone's Maps total shite for anyone else on Nexus 5? It constantly loses GPS and has me going in all kinds of directions.

It's been happening ever since I got a replacement phone, maybe it is dodgy.

Is anyone's Maps total shite for anyone else on Nexus 5? It constantly loses GPS and has me going in all kinds of directions.

It's been happening ever since I got a replacement phone, maybe it is dodgy.

I sent my first n5 back because of faulty GPS.

• Like 1

That Stories thing in Google Photos is incredible.

Didn't even know about it until I read PV's post.

Went into it and there were 2 stories there already.

One was my day swimming with the elephants in Thailand, half of which it had automatically animated because the photos were taken in bursts, so they were like little movies.

And one of a trip I made to Ireland in May.

Brilliant stuff.

• Like 1

For the person who was asking about Android tablet,

Samsung note 10.1 refurb and a 6mp or 8mp camera £139 seems a really good price.link

Thanks for posting that, it arrived a few days ago, cracking piece of kit for the price, I got it for £130 as they had ran out of cameras by the time I had placed my order. Only negative is the screen resolution but its still decent and you can't moan too much for the price. I installed 4.4 and google now launcher but uninstalled them both as 4.4 removed a few of the s pen features and google now made most of the icons blurry and horrible to look at.

Currently running 4.1.2 on xda's recommendation as touchwiz's horribleness doesnt seem to be as prevalent and in your face as on tablet as it is on a phone plus with all the useless bloatware removed its at its optimum. Only thing I'm missing is the google now implementation of the new launcher which as its on my phone I can live without it on the note.

It also makes the desktop mode of VT a viable option again. No more mishitting or missing and having to zoom in to click on page numbers and the like.

My s3 was horrid, however the decisions in the design of the software on the note 10.1 don't allow touchwiz to rear its ugly head that much, plus once you've updated no further than jelly bean and cleaned up the bloatware its in a different league to when you get it out it out of the box. Not sure dabs have any left now though. I got one of the last 15 and that was ordered a week ago.

Don't let the s3 put you off what is a decent tablet despite its age. XDA and phone arena highly recommended it and there info/forums edged me towards it.

The location stuff seems a bit broken for me. Every day when I travel through Nottingham for work, Google insists that I'm in Marseilles.

To be fair, having been to Nottingham I can see why it gets the two places mixed up.

I'll personally never buy Samsung again unless it's GPE. Touchwiz is ugly, counter initiative and full of bloatware.

Got my eye on the LG G3, but slightly confused by the spec war screen. 2k is entirely unnecessary and I'd guess battery life and processing power would be even better without it. Does look great though... :)

G3 does look a class mobile, at this point its probably the only handset I would buy that's not a Nexus.

I'd say the same.

I'm chuffed to bits with my nexus. But the G3 is pretty much the only phone out there that makes me jealous at the moment.

Guys, does anyone know how to turn off the warning you get about damaging your ears when you turn the volume up on your Android phone while you have headphones plugged in?

Really annoys me.

(yeah I've googled it but can't find a solution)

Edited by Stevo985

Â