• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well MON made those quotes on the golf course. And as any old school businessman knows, most deals are done on the golf course. So bye James, and I welcome his replacement, Ian Poulter....

*grabs coat*

Bloody hell he hasnt even gone yet and yet some are already slagging him off and calling him names.

James Milner is not a fan of Aston Villa, when will people get in their head that its not just a sport to them its also their living and all though he gets paid amounts that most of us cant comprehend now, he can get paid even more elsewhere with a better chance of silverware.

If we hadnt of bought him from Newcastle he still would of turned out to be a decent player but just at another club.

Perhaps we should show him some loyalty and respect by not calling him names and slagging him off before he's even gone.

Good luck to him he hasnt killed anyone he's played his heart out for us and given his all and now he can get paid even more with a massive signing on fee.

Most of us can sit in our avergage houses with average cars saying we wouldnt leave if we got paid that much, but honestly if someone dangled a £2.5m signing on fee and a salary that of double what we are on its very holier than thou to say I wouldnt take it.

As ive said before there are a handful of players in the world who are irreplacable and he isnt one. £25m is a ridiculous amount of money and if we can get players like Stephen Ireland (who is hardly a massive drop in talent) and a few others with it then is fine by me, again good luck to him.

I wish people would stop comparing footballers to people with normal jobs.

It's nothing like us having a "2.5m signing on fee" dangled in front of us. For the amount of money these guys are on - it's more like the equivalent of dangling £500 in front of us. Is an extra £30k a week really going to make a difference to someone who already earns £50k a week? No.

Yes, Houlston, he hasn't left, people are jumping the gun a bit.

But I think the point is that if he did leave then he will be leaving for the money and for the POSSIBILITY, and nothing else, of City challenging for greater honours. They don't have the Champions League and they haven't won the Prem.

He will be leaving us for a team who will be playing in the exact same competitions as us. So if it happens then it seems he's moving for the money and not much else that is guaranteed.

Look lets be honest if we got nearly £30m for him we could get Keane, Ireland and Bentley for that. With those 3 and a rb (maybe Richards) we would be a damn site closer to 4th than if we just kept Milner.

Bloody hell he hasnt even gone yet and yet some are already slagging him off and calling him names.

James Milner is not a fan of Aston Villa, when will people get in their head that its not just a sport to them its also their living and all though he gets paid amounts that most of us cant comprehend now, he can get paid even more elsewhere with a better chance of silverware.

If we hadnt of bought him from Newcastle he still would of turned out to be a decent player but just at another club.

Perhaps we should show him some loyalty and respect by not calling him names and slagging him off before he's even gone.

Good luck to him he hasnt killed anyone he's played his heart out for us and given his all and now he can get paid even more with a massive signing on fee.

Most of us can sit in our avergage houses with average cars saying we wouldnt leave if we got paid that much, but honestly if someone dangled a £2.5m signing on fee and a salary that of double what we are on its very holier than thou to say I wouldnt take it.

As ive said before there are a handful of players in the world who are irreplacable and he isnt one. £25m is a ridiculous amount of money and if we can get players like Stephen Ireland (who is hardly a massive drop in talent) and a few others with it then is fine by me, again good luck to him.

like i said before in this thread,i think if we sign Ireland and get say 18 to 20 million,we'll be better off than we are now.with that kind of money its to hard to turn down,and plus the fact is Milner has shown before that he's only really in the game to make a few quid..

I wish people would stop comparing footballers to people with normal jobs.

It's nothing like us having a "2.5m signing on fee" dangled in front of us. For the amount of money these guys are on - it's more like the equivalent of dangling £500 in front of us. Is an extra £30k a week really going to make a difference to someone who already earns £50k a week? No.

Fair points but i wasnt comparing us to them I obviusly didnt explain myself clearly, but its not the equivalent of £500 dangled in front if us.

lets just say Milner is on roughly £50k a week, the £2.5m signing on fee would be a years salary so it would be like us having a year of our salary dandgled in front of us plus double our yearly salary.

True, I may have exagerrated a bit :winkold:.. My main annoyance is people comparing footballers to normal workers because even if the comparison is made fairly, it's still a completely different kettle of fish.

If I was offered a years wages then yes, I'd change jobs. But the fact is that I need those wages to pay my rent, car insurance, food and to fuel my car & season ticket.

Unless a footballer is planning to buy an island - they really don't need the extra money.

True, I may have exagerrated a bit :winkold:.. My main annoyance is people comparing footballers to normal workers because even if the comparison is made fairly, it's still a completely different kettle of fish.

If I was offered a years wages then yes, I'd change jobs. But the fact is that I need those wages to pay my rent, car insurance, food and to fuel my car & season ticket.

Unless a footballer is planning to buy an island - they really don't need the extra money.

its a nice theory but if its true then why do so many people seemingly move for more money. Ashley Cole demanded a transfer over 5k a week didnt he? Look at pretty much everyone whos signed for City including a former Villa captain with over ten years service. Face it, a footballer will leave to double his wages, it matter regardless of what they're earning.

but i think thats the point, we can only think why would they need more money because we dont earn anywhere near that much and would love to, yet people with lots of money always want more and more money, Stelios the owner of easy jet said that once youve earned so much anything else is just greed as you can afford anything but I think that figure was something like £50m plus, i guess its all relevant to us it seems ridiculous to want more money but to them its obviously not ridiculous.

Frustrated Manchester City ready to end pursuit of Edin Dzeko

• Club unwilling to pay Wolfsburg £45m for striker

• Similar stance may also end interest in James Milner

Daniel Taylor

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 13 July 2010 20.22 BST

Edin Dzeko has scored 54 goals in 94 games for Wolfsburg. Photograph: Joern Pollex/Bongarts/Getty Images

Manchester City may abort their proposed move for Edin Dzeko unless Wolfsburg lower their financial demands and accept that the most powerful spenders in English football are not prepared to pay around £45m for the Bosnian striker.

Roberto Mancini, the City manager, wants to pair Dzeko with Carlos Tevez in the coming season but several weeks of on-off negotiations have reached an impasse, with a huge disparity in the valuation from either side. Dzeko has scored 54 goals in 94 games for Wolfsburg and the Bundesliga side have said they will do business only if they receive an offer of £40m-£50m. City regard that as exorbitant and are refusing to budge, determined not to be regarded as a soft touch when faced with selling clubs trying to take advantage of the financial position at Eastlands.

There were similar reasons behind City's decision not to follow up their initial moves for Benfica's centre-half David Luiz, having been quoted £29m, and an increasingly familiar pattern is also threatening to bring an end to their interest in James Milner. Aston Villa have asked for £30m, whereas City have made an offer of £18m plus £2m in add-ons. Unless a compromise can be reached, around £24m, City will reluctantly give up, despite an increasing acceptance within Villa Park that Milner wants the transfer to happen.

"Eventually if players do want to leave the club, or any football club for that matter, it becomes more difficult than ever before," Martin O'Neill, the Villa manager, said today. "But we have a better chance of performing in the manner in which we did last season if we keep our best players and James Milner comes into that equation."

As for Dzeko, his representatives are also speaking to Juventus but, again, Wolfsburg would have to lower their demands for a deal to happen. The player has expressed his frustration about Wolfsburg's asking price and City's position can be gauged by the fact the 24-year-old had a £35m release clause until the end of May but that, too, was considered excessive by the club's chief executive, Garry Cook, and football administrator, Brian Marwood. There is a feeling at Eastlands that they need to make a stand when it comes to negotiating fees because the alternative is that they will always be expected to pay considerably more than other clubs.

City have already spent around £60m this summer on Jérôme Boateng, David Silva and Yaya Touré and are trying to negotiate a price with Internazionale for the talented but problematic wide player Mario Balotelli.

Clicky

Milner has never said he wants to leave and unless he slaps in a transfer request or goes blabbering off to the meeja this ain't gonna happen.

£ 30m is the price, pay up or get lost losers!

^^^^

maybe they've fallen upon hard times suddenly..... ;)

I know you're joking but they've got a £1bn investment co-operation with New East Manchester (Urban Regeneration Company), to transform the local area. It's an incredible plan tbh.

In regards to Milner; he's no Gareth Barry, he's a lot worse. I never booed, nor do I hate Gareth. He deserved his chance at another club. Milner has only been here 2 minutes. Gareth will be remembered fondly by Villa fans in years to come, Milner won't. If he wants to go, let him.

I've met an awful lot of millionaires, and even a couple of billionaires in my working life, and not one of them would turn down an extra £1m-£2m a year just because you might consider that they have enough already. £5m+ extra a five year contract is a huge amount of money, and I'm sorry, but expecting them to turn it down because you think that Milner has some cozy sense of loyalty just isn't going to happen.

If I was earning £50K a week at Villa, and Blues offered me £100K a week, I'd be off down the road so quick I'd make Craig Gardner's loyalty seem like Shep in comparison.

Aye, it's important to put yourself in their boots. They do an awesome job, it's never going to be a chore. If someone offers you loads of money to do something you already love doing, why on earth would you turn it down?

You wouldn't. I just wish they were honest about it.

Ambition my arse... it's all about the £££

As I have said before, I have no qualms in losing Milner for mega bucks, none whatsoever as he is replaceable and IMO not worth the 30m being quoted. Don't get me wrong he is a very good player, but MON could replace with the funds recieved from the transfer I have no doubt, we have lost major players under Mon before and so far successfully replaced them and I see this as no different. If he wants to go then let him and move on, he has every right to earn as much money as possible in a relatively short career, I will wish him app the best and give him a fond farewell, and move on enjoy his replacement.

Man City only have them selves to blame for being quoted huge prices.When the Abu Dubi guys came in the first thing they did was steal Robinho away from going to Chelsea ,they tried to outbid United for Berbatov then there was the attempt to sign Kaka.Since then they have continued not only spending big on transfers fee's but also on wages so bit late to start winging that clubs are trying to rip them off.