What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

to be fair many players have shown that money doesn't bring you to a club. You only need to look at Kaka and Man City to see that people would rather go somewhere with more success and history than earn more money.

It's why David Villa wouldn't even entertain a move to City.

Villa should offer milner £85k a week and leave it at that.

Quite funny how this season Barry will probably be a fringe player at City, considering their new signings.

Think you will find David Villa will be on a tasty whack at Barcelona.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea why footballers have some sort of moral obligation to care so deeply for the people chanting their name and never leave them behind. I'll still think Milner is great if he goes, lost respect for Barry when he did purely because of the bollocks he talked in the press about going off to play in the Champions Leauge and win things right away.

I don't care if footballers care for the people in the stands. I also understand if players move for their career.

But Milner was bought by Villa when he was in a sinking ship at Newcastle. MON put faith in him and paid over the odds. He had an okay first season and has had an oustanding second season.

MON put faith in Milner and now as soon as a big club comes for him, it seems like he's going.

It'd be nice if Milner repaid the faith that had been shown in him.

(BTW, I know it's unrealistic because everyone, it seems, is motivated by money and "what could be next year".. but I just think that it'd prove him to be the person we thought he was if he'd repay the faith shown in him).

to be fair many players have shown that money doesn't bring you to a club. You only need to look at Kaka and Man City to see that people would rather go somewhere with more success and history than earn more money.

Quite funny how this season Barry will probably be a fringe player at City, considering their new signings.

key word being there is Barcelona. You think he would move to City for a million pounds a week? bet you he would stay at Barcelona

I think were getting detracted from here the real reason of why Milner wants to leave in my opinion again we have used the same bat we batted against Barry, Man City have more prospects of challenging for trophies than us, it's as simple as that. Be honest who you rather provide goalscoring opportunities for Tevez or Heskey, player for player they outweigh us but whether they have the manager to take them to where they want to be is another question.

also, at the end of the day loyalty is a two-way street as well............. id say across football there are a lot more players who are sold when they dont want to leave clubs as opposed players forcing moves........

Your comment regarding James Milner a few pages back is a disgrace imo

I thought it was fair. He has got a massive square jaw !!

key word being there is Barcelona. You think he would move to City for a million pounds a week? bet you he would stay at Barcelona

It depends how much Barcelona was offering but for a million quid a week? - David Villa would be at Eastlands in a flash

Woodytom, I know what you mean - at the moment I'm motivated by money because I earn just enough to pay bills etc. But I honestly wouldn't care about money if I had enough to live on comfortably.

I can see your point in that a footballers career is pretty short. But even so, Milner has probably been earning at least £30k a week for the last 4 years. I'm sure he has enough for him and his family to live off for 10 lifetimes (Unless he wants to go splashing it about on needless "luxuries").

I just find the money-side of football the biggest problem. It won't change and I'm 80% sure that Milner will leave. But it still infuriates me that people will find it incredible that some people aren't motivated by money.

Milner isn't being paid more money to compromise himself at all so that example makes no sense. Hes being paid more to continue doing his job with an even greater chance of success at his job.

Ogen. If he goes then he'll be going to a club with a greater chance of success. He'll also be going to a club where he'll have a greater chance of being on the bench, playing fewer games, being chucked aside if he doesn't perform, having a different manager within a year if the results aren't good enough, a club where there will be a lot more pressure on him.

What if Milner plays okay but not great? He could be on the bench and that would effect his chances with England.

The worst point will be that it could effect his career. That is the point, and comparison, I was making.

Woodytom, I know what you mean - at the moment I'm motivated by money because I earn just enough to pay bills etc. But I honestly wouldn't care about money if I had enough to live on comfortably.

I can see your point in that a footballers career is pretty short. But even so, Milner has probably been earning at least £30k a week for the last 4 years. I'm sure he has enough for him and his family to live off for 10 lifetimes (Unless he wants to go splashing it about on needless "luxuries").

I just find the money-side of football the biggest problem. It won't change and I'm 80% sure that Milner will leave. But it still infuriates me that people will find it incredible that some people aren't motivated by money.

Milner isn't being paid more money to compromise himself at all so that example makes no sense. Hes being paid more to continue doing his job with an even greater chance of success at his job.

Ogen. If he goes then he'll be going to a club with a greater chance of success. He'll also be going to a club where he'll have a greater chance of being on the bench, playing fewer games, being chucked aside if he doesn't perform, having a different manager within a year if the results aren't good enough, a club where there will be a lot more pressure on him.

What if Milner plays okay but not great? He could be on the bench and that would effect his chances with England.

The worst point will be that it could effect his career. That is the point, and comparison, I was making.

Thats a fair point, but I would rott in the stands for £100 grand a week. I really would.

also, at the end of the day loyalty is a two-way street as well............. id say across football there are a lot more players who are sold when they dont want to leave clubs as opposed players forcing moves........

Your comment regarding James Milner a few pages back is a disgrace imo

I thought it was fair. He has got a massive square jaw !!

You'll look pretty daft if he stays

:D well give Man City a call then. I'm sure if you whack up a few fake "newspaper reviews" they'll bring you in.. They're always after a few new faces!

I'd personally prefer to try and make something of myself for my kids to see. I'd be happy to show them medals.. but I'd also be ashamed if I had to show them a video of a cup final where I'm making a 6 minute appearance at the end of the game. :winkold:

EDIT - This post was in reply to Woodytom.

Thats a fair point, but I would rott in the stands for £100 grand a week. I really would.

But your not a 24 year old multi millionaire

But your not a 24 year old multi millionaire

No, Im a 25 year old multi-millionaire :D

And yet you're on Villatalk! Shouldn't you be off earning more money so you can afford another boat? We all know how people need so many boats...

:D

I believe you and I'm sure there are lots of people who want more money even though they have enough for 10 lifetimes.

But I honestly wouldn't care about an extra £30k a week if I was already earning £50k a week. I'm sure I'm in the minority and I'm sure people will think I'm lying or say "if you ever earn XXX amount then you'll still want more".. but I wouldn't want the extra money.

Money isn't everything and it doesn't equal happiness. But these footballers (and other people who you've mentioned) seem to think it does.

I think that's an extremely bold comment from someone who knows they will never be faced with such a situation.

Hell, I'd love to say that had I made it as a pro footballer that I would have been loyal, particularly to the Villa but by the time these guys make it to being professional they've already lost pretty much any allegiance they had to any one club at least, from a supporters point of view anyway.

I find it embarrassing to question their desire to move for the sake of money, it really is a very simple equation. Whether you're a factory worker, office manager or professional sportsman if you receive a call asking you if you want to do the exact same thing somewhere else (and lets face it, somewhere ultimately nicer with better facilities and more opportunity of earning bonus commission) you would be unambitious and/or stubborn to not accept it.

It's amazing how high some people's horses reach during summer transfer windows.

How the hell would you know if I would never be faced with a similar situation?

This is the exact type of reply I knew I would get from someone so small-minded that they can't consider that there are people in the world who don't value money above everything else.

For your information, I play in a band and it'd be my dream if I could live off my band and nothing else. If I got paid £50k for an album deal - that'd do me fine for 3 years of living. I'd be happy to stay with a label that I was comfortable with, and let me play music how I wanted to, for years and years.

If a bigger label came and offered me more money to do a more mainstream album. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT IT. I would prefer to be paid money that I knew I could live off - even if it meant I couldn't buy amazing cars etc.

Now can you understand how people could reject money???

Or are you going to come out with another "High horse" comment??

The most important thing to me is my friends, my band and my family. If I was offered more money but it effected my band then I wouldn't accept it.

I'd like to think that there are a few footballers out there who could feel the same in slightly similar situations.

What if Milner is really happy at Villa, his girlfriend likes it in Birmingham? He's happy that he could have a team built around him and that he'll be playing in his favoured position - and playing over 40 games a season.

Now if he moves then he'll be moving for more money, possibly fewer games, possibly playing on the right midfield - where he isn't as effective, and an ever changing squad that could be unsettled. Yes, he might have the chance to win a few medals - but that's not a certainty. Man City could easily finish 5th and fail in the cups, again.

Is it really that difficult to think that some people are motivated by something other than money?

Again Rob, really easy to say when you're on an internet forum........

You're taking things out of context to suit your opinion too. The point is simple and being as you're "in a band" I'll make it easy for you:

Tomorrow you receive a call from a music label or Producer or whoever makes the calls, they say they like your style, so much so that they're prepared to treble whatever it is you're currently earning to continue doing the exact same thing you're doing now. they also offer you much better recording studio access and the possibility of being able to play at large festivals and maybe even your own tour, all without having to compromise who you are which as we all now know is the be-all-and-end-all to you.

bannedfromHandV, I really can't be bothered to continue this. But it's not the same, as much as you say I'm "changing the situation to suit my opinion", so are you.

Milner won't be going to a club that gives him all that Villa do. So it's not the same.

As I've probably mentioned a million times in this thread. Milner could win titles and trophies, he could have lots more money. On the downside he could also be a benchwarmer, lose his England place and need to move on in 2 years time when he's gotten fat and slow.

Let's just end it now because it's getting old.

I get it. You don't believe that there are people in the world who will change job/ position for more money. I think there is and I know that I'm one of them, given the right situation and existing lifestyle.

End.

Ive just got a feeling that Jimmy will be staying. If the reports that ive read are true and that City's initial offer was £18m, with £2m add ons, then i dont think they'll meet our asking price.

This isnt going to end in Jimmy going there for £30m, im fairly certain of that.

I believe you and I'm sure there are lots of people who want more money even though they have enough for 10 lifetimes.

But I honestly wouldn't care about an extra £30k a week if I was already earning £50k a week. I'm sure I'm in the minority and I'm sure people will think I'm lying or say "if you ever earn XXX amount then you'll still want more".. but I wouldn't want the extra money.

Money isn't everything and it doesn't equal happiness. But these footballers (and other people who you've mentioned) seem to think it does.

I think that's an extremely bold comment from someone who knows they will never be faced with such a situation.

Hell, I'd love to say that had I made it as a pro footballer that I would have been loyal, particularly to the Villa but by the time these guys make it to being professional they've already lost pretty much any allegiance they had to any one club at least, from a supporters point of view anyway.

I find it embarrassing to question their desire to move for the sake of money, it really is a very simple equation. Whether you're a factory worker, office manager or professional sportsman if you receive a call asking you if you want to do the exact same thing somewhere else (and lets face it, somewhere ultimately nicer with better facilities and more opportunity of earning bonus commission) you would be unambitious and/or stubborn to not accept it.

It's amazing how high some people's horses reach during summer transfer windows.

How the hell would you know if I would never be faced with a similar situation?

This is the exact type of reply I knew I would get from someone so small-minded that they can't consider that there are people in the world who don't value money above everything else.

For your information, I play in a band and it'd be my dream if I could live off my band and nothing else. If I got paid £50k for an album deal - that'd do me fine for 3 years of living. I'd be happy to stay with a label that I was comfortable with, and let me play music how I wanted to, for years and years.

If a bigger label came and offered me more money to do a more mainstream album. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT IT. I would prefer to be paid money that I knew I could live off - even if it meant I couldn't buy amazing cars etc.

Now can you understand how people could reject money???

Or are you going to come out with another "High horse" comment??

The most important thing to me is my friends, my band and my family. If I was offered more money but it effected my band then I wouldn't accept it.

I'd like to think that there are a few footballers out there who could feel the same in slightly similar situations.

What if Milner is really happy at Villa, his girlfriend likes it in Birmingham? He's happy that he could have a team built around him and that he'll be playing in his favoured position - and playing over 40 games a season.

Now if he moves then he'll be moving for more money, possibly fewer games, possibly playing on the right midfield - where he isn't as effective, and an ever changing squad that could be unsettled. Yes, he might have the chance to win a few medals - but that's not a certainty. Man City could easily finish 5th and fail in the cups, again.

Is it really that difficult to think that some people are motivated by something other than money?

I find myself in the rare position of agreeing with BannedfromH&V. Good on you for sticking it to the man and retaining your artistic principles, but you sound a bit naive to me. Millions of pounds would set your family and future generations of your family up for life. You could also do a lot of good with the money instead of buying cars or houses etc. If Villa get an offer from City that they find acceptable, Milner will be off, it's as simple as that. No one in their right mind would turn down in excess of £1m a year more for doing largely the same thing.

But Rob that's a risk he'd be willing to take, he obviously has belief in his ability and so do Man City, its like if you go for a new job you obviously have doubts but you are hopeful it will be a success. He isn't going to think like us and nor should he, oh im going to be on the bench in a few years and i'll be looking for a new club as he can equally be thinking, i could be part of Man City's success, playing in the Champions League, improving further as a player due to playing with better players.

bannedfromHandV, I really can't be bothered to continue this. But it's not the same, as much as you say I'm "changing the situation to suit my opinion", so are you.

Milner won't be going to a club that gives him all that Villa do. So it's not the same.

As I've probably mentioned a million times in this thread. Milner could win titles and trophies, he could have lots more money. On the downside he could also be a benchwarmer, lose his England place and need to move on in 2 years time when he's gotten fat and slow.

I get it. You don't believe that there are people in the world who will change job/ position for more money. I think there is and I know that I'm one of them, given the right situation and existing lifestyle.

End.

No you're right, he'd be going to a club that offer all that we do plus more, which is the whole point Rob. If you can't see/accept that then you're going to have a real problem in enjoying football for the next x amount of years......

Milner could lose his England place and go downhill, but surely for the sake of ambition you'd rather know if you could have made it rather than spend the rest of your life wondering about what could have been....

I fancy your efforts to END this discussion stems from the fact that you know on this occasion that you're wrong, I'm not looking to get 'one up' on anyone but the sooner we all accept the things that exist in football the sooner we'll all be able to move onwards and upwards.

End.

So his options are continue to be an important player for Villa and maybe win a FA Cup one day or go to City and push himself to his limit retain a first team spot and a chance at winning leagues and European Cups. Even if you take money out its obvious what he should be doing and with the bonus of his money doubling why wouldn't he.