MON's "Not sure what the fans want" comment

danceoftheshamen

If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?

• Win the FA cup.
    • Finishing 4th has to be the priority.
    • FA cup unless we can finish in top 2 with no need to qualify.

we are not good enough to play champions league football yet

We're no worse, as far as I can tell, than Olympiakos, and they're in the knock-out rounds.

No worse than Rubin Kazan or Unirea Urziceni and they picked up a good few points in the groups and gave the likes of Barcelona and Inter some scares.

We're not good enough to win it, maybe we wouldn't get through the group even if we got to it, but we wouldn't embarrass ourselves in the CL.

This is a competition, lest we forget, that counts Nicklas Bendtner and Michael Owen as its joint second highest scorers this season - ok, freak hattricks, but still :winkold:

I just don't get posts saying 'I want to get 4th so we can get better players so we can have a chance to win trophies... like the FA Cup.'

The chance is here. We didn't need to get 4th to compete this year. This is a major trophy, and it's within our grasp. Screw the CL in comparison. I think people that think we'll attract a whole new caliber of player by finishing 4th would be very disappointed. Those players would know that it might be a one-year event. We wouldn't mortgage our future on higher wages without knowing we'll qualify again. Perhaps we'd move from signing a 12m player to an 18m player. No guarantee he'd be much better, anyway.

Clubs like Sevilla, Villareal, Deportivo etc are in and out of the CL every couple of years. When they get in they don't suddenly attract superstars. People know it'll be harder for clubs like them to remain in Europe consistently. We're in the same boat.

So let's go and win the trophy on offer, write another major honour into a frankly glorious history, and worry about all the seasons in the future when the off-season comes.

(Also my brother and many of my family are Chelsea supporters, and I've been dragged to the filthy Bridge far too many times, so I suppose I might be biased here.)

Weird statement because last season is in the past.

I cant see what MON is on about to be honest - it is obvious why the fans were peed off last season.

We got 4 chances to win silverware - most teams have three chances we had 4. Now the league, I think even the most optimisticnof people knew we wouldn't win the league (although for that brief moment after Blackburn I did begin to wonder).

So that left us three chances to have what football is all about - some glory.

And we went out of all three with a whimper, and looked like we couldn't be arsed.

That annoyed the fans, the fans made it known to MON.

So this season MON has took them seriously, and guess what has happened - we were in a Cup Final and we are three weeks from a Semi-Final/

So if MON doesn't know what we expect - then it is a bit weird !

Nd why bring it up now. He sometimes comes out with some weird statements doesn't he !

I agree, MON seems to be passing the buck & blaming the fans rather than look at himself

In the technical area he comes across like a jack-in-the-box, but Martin, your human, & as humans we all make mistakes....

JUST ADMIT YOURS MON.

& yes all supporters are fickle, it`s not just Villa fans

Purely for financial reasons & a higher profile club status i went for 4th place, which is a sad because winning the F.A. cup should mean more than finishing 4th...but nowadays it doesnt

So this season MON has took them seriously, and guess what has happened - we were in a Cup Final and we are three weeks from a Semi-Final/

So moaning bitching fans who post on the Internet and ring up radio shows are now being given some credit for our success in the cups this year?

So moaning bitching fans who post on the Internet and ring up radio shows are now being given some credit for our success in the cups this year?

:lol:

If we win a trophy, MON should give it straight to those fans as a thank you. It's only right.

Weird statement because last season is in the past.

I cant see what MON is on about to be honest - it is obvious why the fans were peed off last season.

We got 4 chances to win silverware - most teams have three chances we had 4. Now the league, I think even the most optimisticnof people knew we wouldn't win the league (although for that brief moment after Blackburn I did begin to wonder).

So that left us three chances to have what football is all about - some glory.

And we went out of all three with a whimper, and looked like we couldn't be arsed.

So if MON doesn't know what we expect - then it is a bit weird !

Nd why bring it up now. He sometimes comes out with some weird statements doesn't he !

I agree, MON seems to be passing the buck & blaming the fans rather than look at himself

In the technical area he comes across like a jack-in-the-box, but Martin, your human, & as humans we all make mistakes....

JUST ADMIT YOURS MON.

& yes all supporters are fickle, it`s not just Villa fans

Purely for financial reasons & a higher profile club status i went for 4th place, which is a sad because winning the F.A. cup should mean more than finishing 4th...but nowadays it doesnt

Yes MON is blaming the fans. And I'm flying a **** unicorn and wanking over a pigsty of magic. Wait until i jump under a rainbow suck the juice from an apple crumble before I shoot supernovas out of my ears until the cows produce chalk and the music returns to the picollo.

It's a **** disgrace and a prime example of the way football has gone that coming 4th in a competition is more important than winning another.

I hear you, but if we finish 4th, it means more cash for better players, European nights at VP against Barcelona, trips to Munich, etc....

It means a GIANT step up for the club, allowing deep Cup runs year in, year out.

But hey, why limit ourselves here?

I think we can achieve both this season, woot!

Id take 4th over the FA Cup without a doubt.

More money, better players and a bigger achievement than winning the FA Cup.

Times have changed, the FA Cup is still great to win, but the possibility of CL is much more exciting.

anyone who is a true fan that attends matches would

pick the FA Cup over finishing 3 places behind the Champions.

a frankly laughable and embarrasing comment.

4th for me.

4th for me, because I think as long as we beat chelsea, reaching that 4th spot in the league would give the team so much added confidence that we would piss all over spurs or whoever in the FA cup final. i was thinking about the CL last night when i was watching barca, and thinking how good would it be to see villa in the group phase?! i think we would have no problem getting through the qualifiers.

so yeah i would like both obviously but i think if we get 4th we will go on to win the FA cup anyway so this is a moot point.