MON's "Not sure what the fans want" comment

danceoftheshamen

If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?

• Win the FA cup.
    • Finishing 4th has to be the priority.
    • FA cup unless we can finish in top 2 with no need to qualify.

Cup please. If we finish fourth does that go on the roll of honour... does it ****. The money hasn't seduced all of us, some of us remember what the game is truly about. Winning CUPS.

Maybe some of us think its a bigger achievement to play in the Champions League against the very best of Europe... is that not a big part of football as well.

Personally i would firstly like us to qualify for the Champions League as this would surely have the best overall benefit for the good of Aston Villa FC. This would enable us to attract a higher calibre of player (& hopefully that world class striker & midfield playmaker we could do with :P )

very much this, although i think we may be in the minority fella.

Surely but surely for the long term good of the club it HAS to be Champions League 1st .... but it would also be fantastic to get the FA cup for the 1st time lets not forget SINCE 1957!!!!

this also.

would love to land the FA Cup. but i think getting 4th denotes us as a bigger club, and moves us further forward

I used to think like this for a number of years... now I'm firmly on the dark side. I just want to have a good day out on a day which I will never forget. Getting into the top 4 wouldn't do that... winning the FA Cup would. However, I appreciate the long term benefit from finishing top 4, but it doesn't automatically mean success. Didn't Everton nearly get relegated the year after they finished top 4?

I used to think like this for a number of years... now I'm firmly on the dark side. I just want to have a good day out on a day which I will never forget. Getting into the top 4 wouldn't do that... winning the FA Cup would. However, I appreciate the long term benefit from finishing top 4, but it doesn't automatically mean success. Didn't Everton nearly get relegated the year after they finished top 4?

Away trips to Barcelona, Inter and Bayern Munich could be quite good fun days out as well!

And the Everton point has been done to death. It's as ridiculous as not wanting to win the FA Cup because Portsmouth are in the shit now.

Hmmmn!! very interesting how since the results at the weekend have gone against us somewhat in the race for 4th there has been a splurge of votes for preferring to win the FA Cup!!

It appears many are starting to lose belief that we can still do it?

Or of course it could be that more of us simply do prefer the FA Cup or ....... could it be...... that many simply don't believe Aston Villa FC has the long term capability to compete in the upper echelons of the game so have kind of "written it off" & instead of building up our hopes year after year only to be disappointed all the time at not achieving this & we would therefore rather go for the "Cup win" instead?

Food for thought me thinks?!!!

In my experience, having been to Rotterdam the year after seeing us lift the Title, it was then very very difficult to watch the slow drawn out torturous demise over the next 25 years or so which involved experiencing various "short bursts of mediocrity" under Ellis's chosen manager of the time.

I saw us relegated TWICE! re- promoted TWICE & then endured, as most of us had to endure, decades of unambitious leadership which stole my, & many of our, previously realised dreams. The odd League cup win was very welcome yes but nothing like the achievements of a few years earlier!!

Then whenever the Fans started to "Home in" on the root cause of the problem which was that we had "A CHAIRMAN WHOSE ONLY AMBITION WAS AN OCCASIONAL CUP WIN & TO STAY IN THE TOP DIVISION!!" Mr Ellis would duly sack whoever was the manager at that point!! It was Brilliant!! Scape goat after scape goat came & went until eventually after a quarter of a century of under performance & decline we finally get bought out by Randy Lerner!!!

So it is because of this that i feel i need to set my targets a little higher now than "The occasional cup win"as enjoyable & gratifying as that would be of course it would in my humble opinion be continuing the "Ellis" mentality!

This club has massive potential, larger than i believe most of us realise & indeed with the right people now at the helm, the ceiling has been removed!!

I feel my responsibility as a life long fan is to push & keep pushing as it is only when you stretch that you grow & that is why i feel we have to do everything possible to break into the top 4 places & keep trying & improving until we do so!!

As a famous man once said...."DARE TO DREAM" OR "FEEL THE FEAR & DO IT ANYWAY!!

This is why for me it all STARTS with 4th!

Away trips to Barcelona, Inter and Bayern Munich could be quite good fun days out as well!

And the Everton point has been done to death. It's as ridiculous as not wanting to win the FA Cup because Portsmouth are in the shit now.

Getting knocked out to Rapid Vienna equivilent in the qualifiers is much more likely than going to Barcelona, Inter and Bayern. :)

Apologies if the Everton point has been done to death... I don't read many posts/topics on here and so am totally ignorant of that fact.

This is MON's worst season as a manager for Villa. His first season can be excused, his second season was the best, but this season is below expectations.

Yes, League Cup final...we fought hard to beat teams several divisions below us to reach the final against Man U. That was the first game of the competition were we played a team of equal or better quality. The same goes for FA cup. Chelsea is the first team with equal or better quality that me meet in the cup. If we lose this and end up below the top 4, we have done nothing of note this year. Being lucky and barely beating Crystal Palace, is in no way a measure for progress

Being closer to the best team on the table is, but we can all see how we struggle to score goals, when our attacking power is much stronger than in MON's first season (were we scored a hell of a lot goals). Maybe it is the tactics with Carew and Heskey in midfield, maybe it is tiredness again...With Gabby injured, Carew is scoring again. I don't think it is a coincident, because without Gabby, Carew has been playing as a striker again. MON should know better, and make the right choices, which he barely does.

This is MON's worst season as a manager for Villa. His first season can be excused, his second season was the best, but this season is below expectations.

Ummm...

I think you've lost a season there, pal. :lol:

I know my memory is getting confused as I grow older but I'm sure there's been 3 before this one:

2006/7 - League 11th, League Cup R4, FA Cup R3

2007/8 - League 6th, League Cup R3, FA Cup R3

2008/9 - League 6th, League Cup R3, FA Cup R3, Intertoto Cup Qual, UEFA Cup Round of 32,

2009/10 - League ? League Cup Final, FA Cup ?(SF so far), Europa League Play Off Round

So when you say his second season was his best, maybe you mean his 3rd? :)

Also struggling just a touch to see how this is ever going to be his worst season as a manager. :lol:

Being lucky and barely beating Crystal Palace

That would be the 3-1 victory you are referring to, then? :lol:

So when you say his second season was his best, maybe you mean his 3rd?

No, his second. We had better players last season, but still managed the same league position as the season before.

Also struggling just a touch to see how this is ever going to be his worst season as a manager.

We went out of Europe in the first round, we played teams divisions below us to reach the LC final and FA Cup semi final. Not that impressed, sorry.

And we are currently lying 7th in the league with the best squad for years. If Liverpool are having their worst season for ages, what do you call our season? Top notch?