MON's "Not sure what the fans want" comment

danceoftheshamen

If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?

• Win the FA cup.
    • Finishing 4th has to be the priority.
    • FA cup unless we can finish in top 2 with no need to qualify.

Jamiebavfc states above "what happens if we go out in the qualifying rounds? which could of course happen!! BUT you would hope by then that the club would have by that point purchased 1 or 2 players off the back of us qualifying (Hyperthetically of course) so even if that happened it would have improved the side giving us a better chance of maintaining 4th, or even better!?

One word.....Everton!!!

so?

Better not to try then, and just accept mediocrity, and never competing with the top clubs in the CL?

Don't try in case you fail?

and to me its small time to celebrate 4th spot

whereas it's the exact opposite.

Qualifying for the CL denotes you as one of the big boys, or at least the potential to be a big boy.

4th means you have the chance to progress, and challenge at the very top 4 honours, both domestically and in Europe.

Winning a domestic cup does not do that, and hence you could argue, as i would, that winning a domestic cup is smaller time than getting 4th.

we must have 4th place as our priority, we really need to (in order to quash any milner leaving rumours for one!). however, seeing as there is only one potential extra game to add to our fixture list and that would be after the league season anyway i really don't see why we shouldn't take the FA cup too. what a season that would be, 4th and two finals. and then spank manure in the charity shield to get next year off to a good start.

Jamiebavfc states above "what happens if we go out in the qualifying rounds? which could of course happen!! BUT you would hope by then that the club would have by that point purchased 1 or 2 players off the back of us qualifying (Hyperthetically of course) so even if that happened it would have improved the side giving us a better chance of maintaining 4th, or even better!?

One word.....Everton!!!

so?

Better not to try then, and just accept mediocrity, and never competing with the top clubs in the CL?

Thats not what im saying Jon, im just saying its not that easy as make it into the top 4 once and your garenteed top 4 from then on.

think we should just all count our lcuky stars that we are asking ourselves this question!!!

the answer is simple : go for both!

and even if we dont get any of them! Dont forget that in the 2009/10 season under Martin O'Neill, Aston Villa went to Wembley twice (AT LEAST), we beat Man United at Old Trafford, beat Birmingham at St Andrews and were in a Champions League Title race with 'The Mighty' Liverpool and The 'Mega Rich' Man City.

If you are not prepared to back him 100%, then the words Martin O'Neill do not belong in your vocabulary . . .

and to me its small time to celebrate 4th spot

whereas it's the exact opposite.

Qualifying for the CL denotes you as one of the big boys, or at least the potential to be a big boy.

4th means you have the chance to progress, and challenge at the very top 4 honours, both domestically and in Europe.

Winning a domestic cup does not do that, and hence you could argue, as i would, that winning a domestic cup is smaller time than getting 4th.

I agree. 4th would mean we've been better than some seriously strong teams like Liverpool, City and Spurs over a gruelling 38 match season.

We're in the FA Cup semis having beaten Blackburn, Brighton, Palace and Reading. So while an FA Cup win would be fantastic, for the future good of the club, finishing 4th would be more important. Not only would it make us both richer and able to attract better players, it would also weaken the other teams around us considerably.

It's worth pointing out that if Fulham win the FA Cup, and Liverpool finish 7th, they don't qualify for Europe AT ALL.

As Graham Taylor said to me, one of Martin's flaws is that he can't take any criticism. He's like an elephant when it comes to someone who crosses him. I really don't think his relationship with the fans will ever be repaired because of this facet to his personality.

As a clearly highly intelligent and articulate individual you would think he'd be able to understand the fickle nature of many football fans and not take things quite as personally as he obviously does. We all have our faults though and Martin is who he is and most of us love him for it. It would just be a shame if he fell out of love with the club and the fans over such a silly thing.

One word.....Everton!!!

so?

Thats not what im saying Jon, im just saying its not that easy as make it into the top 4 once and your garenteed top 4 from then on.

Ah, but Everton's was compromised by Liverpool being allowed back in. That meant the 'big four' all got the usual cash benefits that season.

If Liverpool don't make it in this seaosn, they will be financially screwed, thus making it more difficult for them next season.

Plus Everton are a financial mess dating back 12 years and so can never use the money they should be able to.

Looking at the game last night (this is not a negative post) i get the feeling the side or certain players have peaked for this season, Gabby was Ok, but no real spark or hunger, on the other hand Milner who is highly motivated by a world cup place is just that, highly motivated, whereas Gabby and Young will not get on the Plane IMO, great, great shame, for Villa and England, both look like players looking towards the end of a season. Chelsea have been dumped out of the Champions league and not in a pretty way, they will go all out for the FA Cup, and look for the Premiership as the more difficult goal, but still achievable, for Chelsea the FA Cup will be the easiest option for silverware, can't see Villa beyond the Semi.

Best option for MON now and Villa is to make sure that 6th spot is ours and hopefully a place in Europe.

Think there will be big changes at Villa in the summer, example MON will be on his 5 year strategy plan, is there anymore he can do, he's being linked with bigger clubs, would he take players with him who have been crucial to his time at Villa park. Food for thought.!!!

(this is not a negative post)

can't see Villa beyond the Semi.

Best option for MON now and Villa is to make sure that 6th spot is ours and hopefully a place in Europe.

Simply brimming with posatives there old chum :?

We are Villa, We fear no-one, beat Chelsea once...we can beat them again.

And you will never take.............our freedom!!!

Now im probably in the minority but blues have done well this year and if we win the FA cup and give them a Europa spot then I couldnt care less. I think what we have done this year is pretty amazing with all other clubs around us boosting their squad. I think on our peformance so far we will be attracting a couple of big signings anyway.