MON's "Not sure what the fans want" comment

danceoftheshamen

If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?

• Win the FA cup.
    • Finishing 4th has to be the priority.
    • FA cup unless we can finish in top 2 with no need to qualify.

Looking at the game last night (this is not a negative post) i get the feeling the side or certain players have peaked for this season, Gabby was Ok, but no real spark or hunger, on the other hand Milner who is highly motivated by a world cup place is just that, highly motivated, whereas Gabby and Young will not get on the Plane IMO, great, great shame, for Villa and England, both look like players looking towards the end of a season. Chelsea have been dumped out of the Champions league and not in a pretty way, they will go all out for the FA Cup, and look for the Premiership as the more difficult goal, but still achievable, for Chelsea the FA Cup will be the easiest option for silverware, can't see Villa beyond the Semi.

Best option for MON now and Villa is to make sure that 6th spot is ours and hopefully a place in Europe.

Think there will be big changes at Villa in the summer, example MON will be on his 5 year strategy plan, is there anymore he can do, he's being linked with bigger clubs, would he take players with him who have been crucial to his time at Villa park. Food for thought.!!!

Huh just because they don't run the miles doesn't mean there not motivated. Read Ashley's comments today, also refer to his comments last week that we won't fail this year. I mentioned it earlier, players like Young still remember last year, one minute they were being hyped up and the next minute there the forgotten men. We are the dark horses for 4th and the FA Cup but you know what i wouldn't want it any other way.

An often overlooked point :-

4th isn't the champions league.

its the champions league qualifers - so we could be in and out by september !

best to give up on the league then hey?

rest all the players now for the FA cup game coming up in a few weeks?

Play the kids in the league, like liverpool, city and Spurs are?

nobody is overlooking the point you make hippo.

We havent been mentioned for 4th in a few months tbh, its all been about Harrys lot or man Citeh. Now when we whip Wolves, Liverpool lose to ManU we will be on 52 points still with a game in hand! Great position to be in, with Chelsea out of the CL I think they will fight even more for the FA Cup but if the season finished now, its been a good season for us.

Weird statement because last season is in the past.

I cant see what MON is on about to be honest - it is obvious why the fans were peed off last season.

We got 4 chances to win silverware - most teams have three chances we had 4. Now the league, I think even the most optimisticnof people knew we wouldn't win the league (although for that brief moment after Blackburn I did begin to wonder).

So that left us three chances to have what football is all about - some glory.

And we went out of all three with a whimper, and looked like we couldn't be arsed.

That annoyed the fans, the fans made it known to MON.

So this season MON has took them seriously, and guess what has happened - we were in a Cup Final and we are three weeks from a Semi-Final/

So if MON doesn't know what we expect - then it is a bit weird !

Nd why bring it up now. He sometimes comes out with some weird statements doesn't he !

Think most people just like to keep their feet on the ground, when the nose's can compete at such a high level with a very mediocre side it say's a lot about the standard of this league. Fourth is not the be and end all for me,but to win the F.A. cup would be the right way to finish this season as many older villa fan's will know these times only come round once in a lifetime.

Now im probably in the minority but blues have done well this year and if we win the FA cup and give them a Europa spot then I couldnt care less

Whisper it quietly, but I'm with you. Their fans are still their fans, of course, but the team have played some good football, they haven't been shouting their mouths off about being as big as us as you would expect them to given they're only a few points behind, and I have nothing against Carson Yeung, in fact the fact he hates Gold and Sullivan endears him to me. Plus McLeish seems a likeable bloke who has been happy to say since there that we're on a different planet to them.

I'm sure that beating them again and again recently has also softened me, and if we lose the derby I'll remember why I hate them, but at the moment... they're probably the least offensive they've been for a while, put it that way.

Is he still going on about that UEFA cup match? I thought the main reason people were pissed off was just how many players were rested for that match. Brining in L Young, Delph, Carew, even the Fonz for the odd match to rest players between now and the end of the season isn’t the same thing. He does seem to think its all or nothing!

indeed he doesn't understand squad rotation. He just bitches about the fans. Still keeps mentioning Gabby the fans didn't boo gabby they were booiung YOU Martin for contuing to pick him.

Despite wht you think and what most fans seem to adhere to - you're not above critiscism in fact I think there's many thing to fault you for.

I'm adamant we'll never achieve anything in teh league with him in charge _ I desperately want to be proven wrong.

Its being blown out of all proportion! He was asked a question about what the fans would prefer, i think the fans themselves are very indecisive about what they'd rather have and i guess thats what MON was refering to rather than a personal attack. If we got into the Champions League last year, the Uefa Cup exit would have been forgotten, but because our season faltered alot of fans and pressed jumped on the bandwagon that because of Moscow our season failed, when it was more due to our squad wasn't big or good enough to compete.

indeed he doesn't understand squad rotation.

He puts out our best 11 whenever he can, and it's got us into a very healthy position in the league, FA Cup and the League Cup this season. Why rotate for the sake of it when we are winning ?

He just bitches about the fans. Still keeps mentioning Gabby

No he doesn't

he fans didn't boo gabby they were booiung YOU Martin for contuing to pick him

That's debatable.

Despite wht you think and what most fans seem to adhere to - you're not above critiscism in fact I think there's many thing to fault you for.

Of course he's not above criticism. Who said he is?

I'm adamant we'll never achieve anything in teh league with him in charge _ I desperately want to be proven wrong.

We'll see I guess. He's improved us each season he's been here. Some might argue he has already achieved things. Our first cup final in 14 years for example, and a shot at another.

We could finish 4th and get kncked out of the CL first leg, we can win FA Cup,

on our history forever, anyone who is a true fan that attends matches would

pick the FA Cup over finishing 3 places behind the Champions. The only winners

from the CL are SKY, due tpo the money the armchair fans pay monthly.

as dunney said its better to show someone a winners medal than a print out of a league table...

True, but then when he's playing a Champions League quarter final in the Nou Camp or San Siro, I bet he wouldn't mind that either!

We could finish 4th and get kncked out of the CL first leg, we can win FA Cup,

on our history forever, anyone who is a true fan that attends matches would

pick the FA Cup over finishing 3 places behind the Champions. The only winners

from the CL are SKY, due tpo the money the armchair fans pay monthly.

Dont come this "True Fan" shit with me! That is your opinion, Portsmouth won the FA Cup and look at them now!

4th place will attract better players, more investment etc etc etc and take the club forward to a point where we maybe able to sustain that position.

I would love to win both but I would wipe my arse o the FA cup to see Villa move to another level.

Yes we may get booted out in the qualifying stages but I would rather take the chance. Saying that I can respect your opinion and feel that you are no less of fan for holding that view :winkold: