MON's "Not sure what the fans want" comment

danceoftheshamen

If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?

• Win the FA cup.
    • Finishing 4th has to be the priority.
    • FA cup unless we can finish in top 2 with no need to qualify.

fa cup, we are here to win cups and thats what is important.

Dem.

Was the intertoto > 4th in the league?

and which is better

CL or CC?

any cup win at any cost is quite blinkered IMHO.

FA Cup win everytime.

With MONs squad rotation finishing 4th would be a disaster. He isnt going to sign 4 or 5 top quality players so our squad (or starting 11 + a couple) will be knackered come Christmas.

Jon surely you could also say 4th place at any cost is also blinkered.

For me I have been waiting 40 years to see us to win the FA Cup. We have won everything else in that time and for me it is important that we mark ourselves down as winners. Fourth place does not do that , it is transigent really not tangible. Just my opinion

Jon surely you could also say 4th place at any cost is also blinkered.

arguably yes Trickie, i gues it is blinkered. But it's a blinkered view in terms of wanting to see real progress at the club, and to see Villa back amongst the best in this country and Europe.

The FA Cup would be a great bonus, and real achievement, but would not IMO "push us forward" in the way that 4th would.

I'm not saying that wanting the FA Cup over 4th is blinkered though.

Just that wanting ANY silverware > 4th is, IMO.

The CC was derided a s a joke cup but a few years ago, with many teams playing reservse sides in it. I can't see how winning that is better for us than getting 4th and all that entails TBH.

I can recognise the prestige of winning the FA Cup though, certainly

"Proper " things to go for on planet Blandy:

1. Win the League

2. Win the European Cup

3. Win the FA Cup

4. Win the League Cup.

"Meh" (as I believe the phrase is) things to go for:

1. European Telly League qualification.

Things to avoid at all costs

Europa League (repercharge)

Interpotato cup

Simod cup

and all the other artificial made up pointless half arsed marketing drivel.

"Proper " things to go for on planet Blandy:

1. Win the League

2. Win the European Cup

3. Win the FA Cup

4. Win the League Cup.

"Meh" (as I believe the phrase is) things to go for:

1. European Telly League qualification.

Things to avoid at all costs

Europa League (repercharge)

Interpotato cup

Simod cup

and all the other artificial made up pointless half arsed marketing drivel.

I'm with you, Pete, on that order.

BUT:

are 1 and 2 not made far easier by achieving "meh" 1 first?

in fact, you can't achieve 2 before you achieve "meh" 1 or better.

I voted Cup.

If finishing 4th could guarantee that we stayed in that top 4 for the near future, or even guaranteed that we'd make the champions league group/knockout stages, then I'd probably go for that.

But a pure one off choice, FA cup everytime.

Massive split here. It seems all those in the CL camp are pointing at how it did Pompey no good, whereas us FAC lot are saying what did the CL do for Everton?

Everton did not have the financial clout to compete in the Champions League, I think for us we have the money but would need the Champions League to attract a higher calibre of players.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

For me it has to be 4th. But the pressure would be on for the board to make the right amount of money available and the manager to go out and spend it on the right couple of players that would actually allow to us to compete.

The cup would be nice but when it comes down to a chaice between the two.....

I think some people have quite unrealistic expectations.

There seems to be a belief that if we finish 4th we will suddenly be able (and want) to get top world class players.

TBH I don't see us doing that. we might have more money to spend but we will still only attract certain players, 1 step up not the best.

we are still at a stage of building which will take time.

some seem to think getting 4th will mean we will always get 4th and we will somehow become part of a new "sky 4".

whatever money the CL brings in, we won't be competing with Manure or Chelsea and I think Arsenal and liverpool will be more attractive to players too.

I can see liverpool struggling to get who they want but like it or not they still have a bigger name than us in europe and realistically it is only a matter of time before they get more investment.

then we have man city who can outspend anyone.

it will be a struggle for us to qualify year in, year out for the CL. I feel our aim for the next few years should be to concentrate on improving in the league, CL qualification would be just a bonus and we shouldn't get too worked up in the years it doesnt happen. the more we can do it, the bigger our name will become and then we can get the better players.

I get the feeling that if we get CL this year, some think we should win it and the league next year!

for me 4th would be nice.

top six with this years cup runs would be an improvement on last year and I would be happy with that.

FA cup would mean we had WON something. not just a "pat on the back and a day out" as someone said but a demonstration that we are winners not also rans to be patronised as "a brave little team of triers" by the media. I also feel this would give the team a positive mental boost for next season.

so give me the FA Cup now. we can afford to dismiss not winning it when we are competing for bigger things regularly.

I think people are overstating what 4 place would mean.

Even if we did finish 4th and even if we did qualify for the group stages it doesn't mean we would suddenly be a great title chllanging side.

We would still have battle to qualify again the season after with Spurs, Man City, Liverpool, Everton all in the mix again.

It would be much better to take the garenteed silverware option (the very thing we support the team for) and be back in the hunt for 4th again next year (as we would be even if we'd finished 4th this time around)

Keep hearing the same boring things.

"It doesn't guarentee success"

"It doesn't guarentee world class players"

"It doesn't guarentee us becoming great"

etc...

We know it doesn't, but we also know it is the only way we can become successful, have world class players and become great even if there is no guarentee.

It's still a tough decision saying that because I want Villa to win things but we are also not a small club with no hope of becoming great. We have the potential to be an Elite club again and I want us to maximize that potential.

I don't think anyone see's 4th as a greater success than an Fa Cup but simply neccessary for us to try and become an even bigger club.

Anyway, It's a stupid question, we don't have to choose, we can do both or neither. ;)

I think people are overstating what 4 place would mean.

Even if we did finish 4th and even if we did qualify for the group stages it doesn't mean we would suddenly be a great title chllanging side.

We would still have battle to qualify again the season after with Spurs, Man City, Liverpool, Everton all in the mix again.

It would be much better to take the garenteed silverware option (the very thing we support the team for) and be back in the hunt for 4th again next year (as we would be even if we'd finished 4th this time around)

bollox

Keep hearing the same boring things.

"It doesn't guarentee success"

"It doesn't guarentee world class players"

"It doesn't guarentee us becoming great"

etc...

We know it doesn't, but we also know it is the only way we can become successful, have world class players and become great even if there is no guarentee.

It's still a tough decision saying that because I want Villa to win things but we are also not a small club with no hope of becoming great. We have the potential to be an Elite club again and I want us to maximize that potential.

I don't think anyone see's 4th as a greater success than an Fa Cup but simply neccessary for us to try and become an even bigger club.

Exactly

Exactly

In a sentence, you have nailed it there son.

True. But it would certainly help greatly in that quest. And would be of greater assistance in mounting a title challenge/competing in the CL than winning the FA Cup.

The only slight drawback i can think of for finishing 4th would be the added distraction/depletion of resources demanded by a tough CL campaign.

But surely that's where we'd want to be? Competing with the big boys.

Come on guys, could you imagine the atmosphere at VP for a Champions League game, when that stupid tune starts playing. I can understand what people say about winning the FA Cup, but lets be honest its been de-valued this year, an example of this is having to watch our replay over the Internet on ITV. I think we'll just miss out on top 4, but you know what the boys have done us proud in terms of the season not being over just yet.