MON's "Not sure what the fans want" comment

danceoftheshamen

If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?

• Win the FA cup.
    • Finishing 4th has to be the priority.
    • FA cup unless we can finish in top 2 with no need to qualify.

The only winners

from the CL are SKY, due tpo the money the armchair fans pay monthly.

Yup because the clubs in the comp dont benefit from being in it whatsoever :|

Only the ones that get to the group stages and win points in that league,

get there and lose or don`t get there at all , and you win FA.

I never get the comments....

silverware > 4th.

Yes, we know, that's why we want to finish 4th, so instead of reaching a cup final once every 10 years, we're reaching cup finals and challenging for the league every year.

I want us to be challenging for the title, champions league, fa cup, league cup, not around 5th-10th every year hoping for a good cup run.

However that doesn't mind i'd be so, so happy to win the Fa Cup. Let's do both.

silverware > 4th.

Yes, we know, that's why we want to finish 4th, so instead of reaching a cup final once every 10 years, we're reaching cup finals and challenging for the league every year.

Finishing fourth won't guareentee that though and I'm not just talking about 'doing an Everton'. You'd like to think it would attract big names but I'm not so sure it would be those people were expecting although I could be wrong. Of course, I want us to win the FA Cup and finish 4th but if I had to choose it would be the cup everytime now. We'd then need to kick on next season so I guess what I am trying to say is I see both as a progression for bringing in the best players.

Jamiebavfc states above "what happens if we go out in the qualifying rounds? which could of course happen!! BUT you would hope by then that the club would have by that point purchased 1 or 2 players off the back of us qualifying (Hyperthetically of course) so even if that happened it would have improved the side giving us a better chance of maintaining 4th, or even better!?

One word.....Everton!!!

imo we're not good enough to get through the qualifiers first time, especially since we wont be seeded. however that makes the early part of the summer even more important. we need to use the fact that we're in the qualifiers to bring in a higher standard of player, which will in turn make it a bit easier to finish top 4 again. these things are gradual, within a couple of years being top 4 regulars then i think we'll really reap the rewards

will count for nothing if we finish top 4 then sit on our hands all summer in the transfer market before going out in the qualifiers though

silverware > 4th.

Finishing fourth won't guareentee that though and I'm not just talking about 'doing an Everton'. You'd like to think it would attract big names but I'm not so sure it would be those people were expecting although I could be wrong. Of course, I want us to win the FA Cup and finish 4th but if I had to choose it would be the cup everytime now. We'd then need to kick on next season so I guess what I am trying to say is I see both as a progression for bringing in the best players.

I know it doesn't guarentee it but it's the only way.

Also, rarely does a player join a team cause the other team won an Fa Cup.

Oh and as for people who say "Everton" :lol: :lol:

Beattie, McFadden, Carsley etc..started for that Everton team. At least our team is actually very good.

we are not good enough to play champions league football yet, so for me winning the fa cup and finishing around 6th or 7th would be a great season.

is it true that who ever gets fourth place will still have to play a qualifier pre season to get to the league stages of the champions league?

similar to posts above...

Defintely 4th place over FA Cup for me...it's part of the '5 year plan' and I'm sure if we become CL regulars there will be more frequent opportunities to win a domestic cup. Of course, as has already been noted, the key is CL regulars, not Everton style.

Plus, I've never heard a top European player say he's joing a new club purely because they won the FA Cup (or local equaivalent)...they typically join for CL and money.

we are not good enough to play champions league football yet, so for me winning the fa cup and finishing around 6th or 7th would be a great season.

is it true that who ever gets fourth place will still have to play a qualifier pre season to get to the league stages of the champions league?

for us, 3 rounds of 2 legged qualifiers to get to the group stages

We would go straght into the 3rd qualifying round would'nt we? or the play offs

Champions League is everything these days unfortunately. I'm not a fan o the competition tbh but I realise that to honestly call ourselves a big club we have to be in it regularly.

But in my heart of hearts I'd rather us win the cup this year. A club like Villa should not be waiting for an FA Cup win after more than 50 years. It would be a day to remember for the rest of your life.

FA Cup

Finishing 4th doesnt get you into the champions league, nor does finishing 3rd. You have to finish 2nd.

Im not confident we could beat the big boys of Europe in the qualifiers to get into the group stage.

Those that think high calibre players will come running because we finish 4th are wrong, they know full well theres still a lot of work to be done to make the lucrative group stages, as more often than not they will already have experienced these tough games. The group stage doesn't start until after the transfer window shuts.

I'd rather win the FA Cup than take a chance of a few qualifying rounds to get to the group stages.

Having said that I dont see any reason at all why we cant do both. Theres only 1 extra game between now and the end of the season if we want to win the FA Cup, its not like we are going to play our resevres in any games between now and the end of the season.

We would go straght into the 3rd qualifying round would'nt we? or the play offs

no

we're unseeded, so my understanding of it is that we go in at the first qualifying round

One has to laugh at you guys, the topic heading is "Mon not sure what fans really want". Then one or two posts

are critical of him saying this, followed by fans disagreeing with each other over what they want........Well done guys!!!

I think somepeople have to loo in the mirror and say,

"AM I MANAGER OF AVFC?............NO!",

"DO I KNOW WHAT MON KNOWS ABOUT HIS PLAYERS/TEAM?.......NO!

"FROM TODAY I WILL LET THE MANAGER MANAGE AND THE SUPPORTORS SUPPORT!!

Option isn't there, but I want:

Ability to be competing on all fronts, in all competitions we enter, otherwise don't enter them.

Winning is a bonus to doing ourselves proud in all of them.

But - any trophy is better than fourth. God knows, I bet even SHA have finished fourth once in their lifetime? Maybe not.....

One has to laugh at you guys, the topic heading is "Mon not sure what fans really want". Then one or two posts

are critical of him saying this, followed by fans disagreeing with each other over what they want........Well done guys!!!

I think somepeople have to loo in the mirror and say,

"AM I MANAGER OF AVFC?............NO!",

"DO I KNOW WHAT MON KNOWS ABOUT HIS PLAYERS/TEAM?.......NO!

"FROM TODAY I WILL LET THE MANAGER MANAGE AND THE SUPPORTORS SUPPORT!!

One has to laugh, do they?

Well 'one' has to laugh with using such grammar, and one certainly laughs when you can't even spell.

Ok 1 or 2 in some earlier posts on this thread asking for a straight poll on what .. as a supporter you would prefer to win this season/achieve if you had a choice? Should we be fortunate enough to achieve something this year that is of course. It is quite interesting how much everyone appears to be split on this!

So i've added a poll above!

The only winners

from the CL are SKY, due tpo the money the armchair fans pay monthly.

Yup because the clubs in the comp dont benefit from being in it whatsoever :|

Only the ones that get to the group stages and win points in that league,

get there and lose or don`t get there at all , and you win FA.

Rangers got two points from the CL group stage, if I remember rightly, and got about £15 million for participating.

The whole point of the CL in its current format, the whole reason they brought it in, is so that even if you mess up completely you get a decent wedge.

Just qualifying and not even reaching the groups would be worth a few million, depending on how other English clubs do (we'd get a share of the pot reserved for English clubs as well as money for our own performances). These are facts I'm giving you here, all available on www.uefa.com.

Not necessarily the £40 million or whatever it adds up to for reaching the semi-finals, but not to be sniffed at.