MON's "Not sure what the fans want" comment

danceoftheshamen

If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice between winning the FA cup or finishing in 4th place this season which would you choose?

• Win the FA cup.
    • Finishing 4th has to be the priority.
    • FA cup unless we can finish in top 2 with no need to qualify.

For Chindie, especially on the Guarentee bit.

Anyway I do agree, it's a stupid question, we can do both. Anyway, hear is what I said a couple pages back.

Keep hearing the same things.

"It doesn't guarentee success"

"It doesn't guarentee world class players"

"It doesn't guarentee us becoming great"

etc...

We know it doesn't, but we also know it is the only way we can become successful, have world class players and become great even if there is no guarentee.

It's still a tough decision saying that because I want Villa to win things but we are also not a small club with no hope of becoming great. We have the potential to be an Elite club again and I want us to maximize that potential.

I don't think anyone see's 4th as a greater success than an Fa Cup but simply neccessary for us to try and become an even bigger club.

Anyway, It's a stupid question, we don't have to choose, we can do both or neither. ;)

If we're ever going to win the league again, and I'm not sure that's even possible, but if we do, then we need to start by qualifying for the Champions League. It's as simple as that really. I understand that we might get knocked out early, but the fact is, if we finish 4th, once the transfer window opens in June, we'll be "Champions League qualifiers Villa" and Liverpool won't. That'll make it easier for us to sign players, and harder for Liverpool. That's the way to build lasting success.

Portsmouth won the FA Cup recently. Look where that got them.....

In all honesty I would love to win the FA Cup and finish fourth. However, even without the guarantees, I am coming around to the fact that fourth is more important. True, it doesn't guarantee us anything, yet the possibility would be there. Plus it would break up the supposed 'big four'.

I do want silverware and I hope we can do both. If the choice had to be made between the two (which in reality I don't think does) then fourth for me.

No reason for us not be able to give both of them a go though.

4th for me. Was expecting the vote to be split but not quite this tight!

It just gives us a better platform to go forward, particularly in attracting players which could MAYBE turn us into regular challengers instead of a possibly win a cup once every 10 years club.

4th - Without question.

The FA Cup is not half as prestigious as it once was...

The opportunity to play against some of the top clubs in Europe, generate more revenue for the club, attract better players, and keep the players we have! all of which would, in-turn make FUTURE FA Cups wins and progress in the Premier League more likely, has got to take priority here....

4th. 100%

If we're ever going to win the league again, and I'm not sure that's even possible, but if we do, then we need to start by qualifying for the Champions League. It's as simple as that really. I understand that we might get knocked out early, but the fact is, if we finish 4th, once the transfer window opens in June, we'll be "Champions League qualifiers Villa" and Liverpool won't. That'll make it easier for us to sign players, and harder for Liverpool. That's the way to build lasting success.

Exactly. Well put. Even though it's showing the sad state of football today.

Talking of what I want as a fan:

1. A right back at right back.

2. A proper striker wearing the number 18 shirt.

3. Players without the ball to give players with the ball someone to pass the ball to.

Sort those three, and maybe we won't need to choose between the FA Cup and fourth place.

3. Players without the ball to give players with the ball someone to pass the ball to.

Sort those three, and maybe we won't need to choose between the FA Cup and fourth place.

Spot on. Can I add:

4. A manager that is prepared to use his subs when things aren't going well.

5. A manager that can see that Heskey and Carew are a pairing that would not be good enough for the SPL!

Spot on. Can I add:

4. A manager that is prepared to use his subs when things aren't going well.

5. A manager that can see that Heskey and Carew are a pairing that would not be good enough for the SPL!

I agree.

As for the topic, I would love to see us lift a trophy, but in realistic terms it HAS to be the CL - the economics simply don't add up otherwise, and while prestige is great, it can't buy players, build stands or pay wages.

Ok just to update!! exactly 150 votes now cast & unbelievably it is exactly 50/50!! 72 want Fa cup to 72 wanting 4th!! with 6 preferring the FA cup unless we finished in the top 2 only!

Think it's fair to say we are all somewhat split on this one.

I've gone FA Cup for two reasons

a) Apart from winning the league, I want the FA Cup more than anything. In my Villa lifetime I have saw us relegated, promoted, league cup, League, Euro Cup - NEVER the FA Cup - I want the set !.

B)

I actually don't think if us or Spurs get 4th, it will make any difference. Man C is different, they could then attract the types of player they have the money for.

But for us and Spurs, I think we would be in the sme position as a promoted team - we could attract the players, but they dont want to come incase they go down.

I think it will have a worse effect on Liverpool than a good effect on us.

B)

I actually don't think if us or Spurs get 4th, it will make any difference. Man C is different, they could then attract the types of player they have the money for.

But for us and Spurs, I think we would be in the sme position as a promoted team - we could attract the players, but they dont want to come incase they go down.

I think it will have a worse effect on Liverpool than a good effect on us.

I agree with this.

Cup please. If we finish fourth does that go on the roll of honour... does it ****. The money hasn't seduced all of us, some of us remember what the game is truly about. Winning CUPS.

If you read other people's posts then possibly you may have seen the reason for it instead of just thinking people like the position 4th.

Silverware every time.

any silverware?

Intertoto Cup win > CL qualification?

There is no such thing anymore Jon :lol:

How about next time Cuellar takes a throw in and Milner is unmarked 10 yards away from him he throws it to him rather than that friggin useless throw down the line for Heskey or Carew to nod on. If it continues then I am seriously considering not renewing my ticket.