Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Watched a couple of western remakes lately and it's made me really appreciate this game and want to go through it again but, Mexico.

It is a superb game though.

I bought this game about a week after it came out and I've only played it once! From what I remember, all I've done is the very first mission and a horse race. I'll play through it eventually! The problem for me is Call Of Duty and Fifa always take over.

I'd say it is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, the best game ever.
i don't really remember much of it, a lot of Mexico and that annoying old guy who says he'll do something for you, once you run every errand in the world for him.

I'd say it is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, the best game ever.

The game world probably is, both in terms of the visual qualityand the scope.

The story line is up there with the best.

The one aspect which lets it down, I think, is the rather bland combat and inverted difficulty curve. You can't really do a lot with the weapons in a setting such as this, I don't expect to ride on horseback through a western setting, armed with a handheld tesla coil, but the enemies don't get any harder, their AI is pretty poor to start with, and then you get bloody bullettime, making it a walk in the park.

I'd rate the gameplay as solid, I'd play it again, but it's the thing that let it down, everything else is brilliant, the actual game bit was very much GTA on a horse.

Very good overall experience, but the definitive best game ever? Nah.

I don't know... I accept that the combat in RDR isn't particularly groundbreaking, or often very challenging. But for me it's besides the point. I almost played RDR as... an experience, I guess. I sat and soaked up the atmosphere, I enjoyed exploring the world, seeing the environment that seemed so perfect, laid out before me, going hunting, seeing the random encounters (the time I stumbled on a bloke in the wilderness with a body, who subsequently took out his pistol and shot himself as I wandered past, stands out as a moment I will struggle to forget in my gaming life)...

I didn't really care that it never became particularly challenging. In fact I think it would have hampered my love of the game, becoming more of a game and less of an enjoyable experience with a fairly compelling narrative underneath.

I don't think every game can do that, and I wouldn't want them all to. But the couple of months I spent with RDR were some of the most enjoyable times of gaming I've ever had.

I enjoyed it, but it was far far too easy. I like a challenge, and as good as the story was it should have come with skill settings so you can decide the difficulty you want the game.

Some of the side missions were hard though like killing bears and cougars with knifes/dynamite

I wish they did some more, proper DLC for it, Undead Nightmare was brilliant, I would have happily paid more for it than the asking price but the rest of the DLC seems to be more for the online multiplayer which I find really boring and pointless.

• 1 month later...

Well, i'm glad so many people mentioned this game in their top 5 of the generation. Just finished it, and what a masterpiece it is, I felt like I was watching a movie at times(not because of graphics but the storyline, music, dialogue..etc.. ) and yeah, I got a little emotional at the end...big woop.

Hands up who else shot the agents wife and brother at the end?

I don't know... I accept that the combat in RDR isn't particularly groundbreaking, or often very challenging. But for me it's besides the point. I almost played RDR as... an experience, I guess. I sat and soaked up the atmosphere, I enjoyed exploring the world, seeing the environment that seemed so perfect, laid out before me, going hunting, seeing the random encounters (the time I stumbled on a bloke in the wilderness with a body, who subsequently took out his pistol and shot himself as I wandered past, stands out as a moment I will struggle to forget in my gaming life)...

I didn't really care that it never became particularly challenging. In fact I think it would have hampered my love of the game, becoming more of a game and less of an enjoyable experience with a fairly compelling narrative underneath.

I don't think every game can do that, and I wouldn't want them all to. But the couple of months I spent with RDR were some of the most enjoyable times of gaming I've ever had.

I'll never forget that moment either, given that the encounter happened to me at least five or six times during a single playthrough! I did play that game a lot though.

To add to the choir of voices singing its praises, easily one of my favourite games of the generation, had everything for me: atmosphere, soundtrack, characters I cared about, well-implemented horsies, and best of all, an environment that is not only so beautiful that it begs to be explored, but also actually rewards your curiosity.

• 6 months later...
Â