Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

Got to mexico, did a few missions but got bored and never went back. Enjoyed it immensely to begin with but just lost interest.

Wasnt there a game of the year edition supposed to be coming out with all the dlc and undead nightmare incorporated into one disc?

Id be tempted to give it another shot if true.

Guess what I found in CeX for £20 today :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me preface this by saying The Good, The Bad, The Ugly is potentially the greatest film ever made and I've watched a LOT of westerns....

....I just can't get into it. Its pretty and the mechanics are superb. I competed GTA 3, San Andreas and IV so sandbox games and Rockstar in general appeal to me.

I just, don't, like it.

I think it's in my top 10 games ever. Superb.

Undead Nightmare, on the other hand, is a bit crap.

I agree. I was really hoping it would be up to the quality of the GTA add ons (Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony) but, as you said, it was just a bit crap. It was literally the same thing over and over and over again with practically no story at all. If they'd have been smart, they could have created an open-world, Old Western Resident Evil, which would have kicked a phenomenal quantity of ass.

Can one of you tell me why I dont like it then? Is the story as intriguing as say Metal Gear? Because as a game and the world itself, just not doing it.

I loved the atmosphere of it. I really liked some of the characters. I liked the gameplay despite it being little different to anything we've seen before, I liked the look... I spent hours just doing the hunting challenges, or just riding around seeing what happened. It has some glorious moments - when you cross the border one of the best moments in gaming bar none imo happens, and you totally don't expect it because games do not do that kind of thing.

The story... it's not going to set the world alight. It borrows heavily from Westerns of all sorts and nothing happens out of the ordinary... but then things change. Again, it's something that someone who knows movies and knows books and... well, knows narrative, the kind of arcs that exist out there, is not going to be surprised by. By again, games don't do what RDR does at one point.

For someone who loves GTA I feel that RDR might seem more constrained. You don't have cars to run around in, theres not this enormous vibrant living city to play with... it's harder to piss about with, theres less going on. It never asks you to do something crazy, somethin really thrilling. And it's less of a satire, it's a more straight mature game than any GTA has been. RDR plays like a love story to Westerns. GTA plays like a satire of gangsta and, by extension, modern life.

I can totally see why someone wouldn't like RDR, honestly. I can see it being dull, long winded, tedious quiet... but I loved it.

I agree. I was really hoping it would be up to the quality of the GTA add ons (Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony) but, as you said, it was just a bit crap. It was literally the same thing over and over and over again with practically no story at all. If they'd have been smart, they could have created an open-world, Old Western Resident Evil, which would have kicked a phenomenal quantity of ass.

Undead Nightmare changes RDR by making the little annoyances really annoying and making some of the more enjoyable things more frustrating. Every journey across the plains becomes a pain in the arse, because theres zombies everywhere, and zombie animals that are quicker and more aggressive. And when your horse dies you get a zombie horse, which constantly fights your direction, isn't that fun?!. Doing the side quest challenges becomes a pain in the arse - trying to get that legendary horse? Well do it while a zombie hoard that loaded in in the mist just over there tries to kill you! Want to save at that safehouse? Whoops you didn't keep an eye on things because you were doing a mission, clear out the entire area again. Run out of ammo? Theres some in that town on the ground, best get it, and waste ammo getting it because you need to clear the zombies out. In danger in a town? Get on the roof, and do it fast... whoops you just remembered that the movement engine Rockstar uses is really hokey and they're now eating you because you didn't quite arrange your character exactly under that eave so he wouldn't jump and grab up.

And so on. It didn't help that I'm not the greatest zombie fan but it's really not a good game, whereas the original is incredible. The thing you can best hold Undead Nightmare up for is it's scope - for DLC, it's ambitious.

Thanks Chindie. That "games do NOT do that" line has sold it for me, I'm big on innovation no matter what the medium (which is probably why I feel less like a Villa fan than I ever have right now).

I will play more. Promise. (add me on PSN too).

I probably should elaborate a little more on those 2 particular things... both of them are related to the story. One is a moment in the plot, and the other is an incidental moment that occurs just after a major milestone in the story. Importantly they both work because you're invested in the story and the characters. I would worry that they wouldn't have the impact if you'd forced yourself through it. You'd perhaps even come back to this thread and tell me I'm crazy thinking those moments were genuinely special.

I'd say play a little more, get a bit further through the story, open things up a little, and see how you feel about it then. If it's still not grabbed you, I don't think you're ever going to really love it.

If it does grab you though, it's a brilliant game.

But not for everyone.

I would add you on PSN but I'm 360 only unfortunately ;)

The only thing that puts me off the game is the number of kills you make in the game. I would have far preferred less enemies with smarter AI and a much harder targetting system.

I'm three quaters of the way through and have racked up well over a thousand kills. As a fan of the film genre, it's way too much of a break from reality.

It's a fun game but overall, not as good as I expected mainly for this reason.

I'm going to say this was the best game i've played for about 10 years. I rarely play over the story mode more than once. Each year i seem to go back and redo the story. The multiplayer and undead addon didn't really do it for me.

still think its the best game ive ever played..

This.

And this.

thinking of doing another play through. Not sure if i've got the hours to dedicate to it.

Guess it's still only me that didn't think it was the epic game people say, I loved it, but the pacing seemed totally off in the missions. A lot of filler where you got nowhere IMO

Ok so I got to Mexico at 3am and really enjoyed the entrance.

*spoiler*

I spent what felt like an hour sat on my hos staring out over the river listening to that music. Awesome. Want more, can't wait to get home. Feel like im blasting through the story helping people as and when but unlike other open world games I dont feel obliged to collect everything. Just enjoying the ride however it comes.

The crossing to Mexico when the song 'Faraway' by Jose Gonzalez begins is one of the moments I mentioned as making this game stand out.

It's an absolutely stand out moment in gaming imo.

Especially after the **** epic shootout on the raft. Plus im finding Jon's relationships with some of the characters delightful. Irish is hilarious.

No spoilers please, but if the other "moment" is Bonnie taking a dirt nap I'll probably flip a lid.

Note to self, play more than 2 hours of a game before judging it. On the negative, the controls aren't quite there, especially weapon selecting and the UI is really poor. Nit picking maybe but it can drag you out.

Out of interest, it took 9 hours to get to Mexico. Guessing half way(ish) through the story?

Â