Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

Guest Ricardomeister

I don't think we played well today but Dowd's decision not to send off Vidic is probably the worst decision I have seen from a ref in 38 years of watching football. Plenty of refs miss an incident but he obviously saw the incident and then totally ignored the rules of football. Myself and everyone around me assumed it would be an automatic red and could not believe it when Dowd did nothing. Would we have gone on to win the game from 1-0 up and 11 v 10? Nobody knows but we would have had much more of a chance.

Dowd didnt even book Vidic when he gave away the penalty yet moments later gave Collins a yellow for bringing down Owen who was heading for the corner flag!!!!!

Man U were the better team on the day deserved to win and that bugs me as on paper i just dont see how tey hve the extra quality apart from Rooney.

does anyone not think if dunney had done this to rooney he wouldnt have got a red? its favouritsm to united as always and its an absolute disgrace.

they also didnt book united players for continous fouls but when villa made the first two fouls our players were given yellows? what about that terrible offside decision in 88th minute when there was three united players keeping our player onside by a mile and offside was given??

the performance from that fat oaf dowd was unacceptable

From the The Telegraph

Did referee Phil Dowd cost Aston Villa the Carling Cup?

Should Nemanja Vidic have been sent off for his challenge on Gabriel Agbonlahor in the Carling Cup final at Wembley?

And if he had, would it have made a difference? Join the debate below...

Manchester United have claimed the first silverware of the English domestic season, beating Aston Villa 2-1 in the Carling Cup final at Wembley.

Again Wayne Rooney was the hero, popping up with a header in the 73rd minute to win the game with the his 28th goal of the season and cheer the watching England manager Fabio Capello.

But it was an incident early in the game that provided the biggest talking point of the match. In the third minute, Gabriel Agbonlahor was hauled down by Nemanja Vidic as the Aston Villa striker looked to be clean through on goal.

Villa won a penalty, which was converted by James Milner to give them the lead, but should referee Phil Dowd have sent Vidic off for denying Agbonlahor a clear goalscoring opportunity?

Vidic went on to play a decisive role in keeping Aston Villa out over the rest of the game and a livid Martin O'Neill said afterwards: "They should have been down to 10 men. There's no other decision to make. It's not a good decision by an otherwise fine referee. It's the major point of the match."

Vidic himself said he should not have been sent off as he was between Agbonlahor and the goal, so it was not a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Mr Dowd....how is this not a sending off or even a bookable offence?

vidic-agbonlahor_1587668c.jpg

You know we was robbed when every neutral and a lot of Manure fans say it should of been Red as is on the BBC 606 debate.

Just because it was a red doesnt mean we were robbed. We wouldn't necessarily have gone on to win and its often more difficult to play again 10 men, as we found out as gainst them at Villa Park in the league a few weeks back.

It was too easy for United, we very rarely looked threatening.

Yes but it was a central defender. We saw Blackburn collapse at VP when Samba was sent off and Manure would've had to take a midfielder off to bring on another defender so they'd have lost the midfield dominance.

And they'd have needed to score with 10 men so played right into our hands.

WTF Vidic is on about he? He was between Gabby and the goal? Gabby was getting past him before he fouled and tugged him down.

Spot on!!

...As the photo in the Telegraph above clearly shows!...Wait a minute apologies...this was Alex Ferguson rules we're talking about..

It was a very poor decision and I would agree with the sentiment that had it been the other way round our player would have probably been sent off. But I think on the day, much as it grieves me to say it. I think Man U were the better side. Yes we would have had a much better chance against 10 men but we did not capitalise at VP. Dowd was shite and a referee favoured Man U, so what's new!

My overall sense was that Villa looked overawed by the whole occasion.

It wasn't just the sending off. It was the fact he was very quick to book our players, in the case of Collins and Downing, for a single foul thus putting both players under pressure from very early in the game. For very similar challenges he was however not booking the United players.

Apart from giving us the penalty, which was so blatant he had no choice, it was arguably the most biased performance from a referee I have seen in watching football for the last 30 odd years.

Had Phil Dowd been man enough to officiate the game correctly, the result could have been different. Its very well saying that we were beaten by the better team, but had Vidic correctly been sent off, how would that work psychologically?

Dowd cost us the game, the fat useless clearing in the woods.

Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel insisted Phil Dowd's failure to send off Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic was a crucial factor as his side slumped to defeat in the Carling Cup Final.

Vidic was the last defender when he hauled down Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor inside four minutes.

Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor is brought down by Nemanja Vidic

Referee Dowd awarded a penalty - converted by James Milner - but no further action was taken against Vidic and United recovered to win 2-1 with goals from Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney.

But Friedel is convinced the heavy pitch would have taken its toll on United had they had to play virtually the whole game with 10 men

Friedel said: "We started the game really well but we have seen the penalty incident now and it really should have been a sending-off.

"You feel really hard done by after you have viewed it afterwards because you would have liked to be playing against 10 men.

"We feel a bit hard done by that we didn't play with a man advantage after that, especially on a pitch as heavy as that and cutting up like that.

"With 10 men, they would have really tired towards the end but it wasn't to be."

Stewart Downing, Stephen Warnock and Brad Friedel after Villa's defeat in the Carling Cup Final

Villa defender Carlos Cuellar echoed Friedel's sentiments and said: "For me it is a penalty and a sending-off. I think everyone says the same.

"You saw the sending-off of (Juliano) Belletti of Chelsea for something similar on Saturday. I think this was even more clear.

"But different referees make different decisions and you never know what would have happened had we had the extra man."

Midfielder James Milner admitted producing a decent performance was no consolation for Martin O'Neill's team.

He said: "We didn't play too badly but that is not what it is about and, in finals, it is about getting a result and winning the game.

"We came up against an experienced side who have played in a lot of finals and maybe that told in the end.

"But I don't think we did ourselves any harm. We put in a good performance, had chances."

link

Â