Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

Are we surprised that time and time again, referee's are afraid to make the big decisions against Man United? For fear of Ferguson's reaction. It was Dowd who sent Rooney and Scholes off against Fulham, which lead SAF to comment about Phil Dowd. The sooner that bacon faced word removed retires the better.

I'm not excusing Dowd here, he was very poor, why is the level of refereeing in this country so bad/inconsistent?

Ridiculously bad decision.Certain Red card. i was stunned it wasn't given.

Can't use it as an excuse though really. Better team won. It certainly would have been different with a decent ref though.

They got a man sent off at Villa Park and it didn't make a difference. It's better to play against 11 men and it made it a better game. It's their day today.

Yes Richard, but the scores were level then, would they have been able to chase the game with 10 men?

Clear red card for me. It was in a similar position to Belletti bringing down Barry yesterday. He got a straight red and the contact was minimal so there was no reason why Vidic should have stayed on.

I'm sorry but i think if that had been Dunne or Collins bringing down Berbatov or Owen that early on, i think we'd have seen a red card appear very quickly. Some of the decisions were shocking. He booked Downing and Collins for similar tackles in which he let Rafael and Carrick off with a warning.

I think today was first-class evidence of how SAF's comments about referees can give Utd an advantage. With the 4 minutes added on, Utd must have wasted a minute with goal kicks etc, yet bang on 94 minutes he blows the full time whistle. I'd accept that if it was consitent but it isnt as we saw in the Utd-City game earlier when Owen got the winner after 6 minutes when 4 were added on (i think those were the numbers).

I dont mean it to sound like sour grapes because overall we were beaten by a far better side, but it could have been so different if we had been given the same advantage.

All this criticism of the ref is just making excuses. He got the decision wrong, but he had a split second to decide. O'Neill has had all week, and still decided that Cuellar is a better right back than Luke Young.

All this criticism of the ref is just making excuses. He got the decision wrong, but he had a split second to decide. O'Neill has had all week, and still decided that Cuellar is a better right back than Luke Young.

GOOD point

Me too, just got back from Wembley. Even the Man ure fans outside the ground were unanimous in saying the Vidic should of gone.

We Lost cause Man U were the better team, and they have that little shrek like gem called Rooney (best player in the world at this moment).

That said, if we were 1-0 up with 10 men from the 4th minute then the game could and should of gone completely differently with UTD chasing the game and tiring towards the end.

We didn't deserve to win, but with a good referee we'd have probably won even though we didn't deserve to.

'Tis an odd conundrum.

I'm not one who's going to start a witch hunt against him, but it does highlight the fact that when a team needs a bit of luck from a poor refereeing decision, it always goes to the bigger team... and what's even sadder is that the FA are happy to allow this trend to continue, as they would rather keep their big boys happy.

Gutted, fact is if he walked, game changes! But he bottled it, we make two challenges after and 2 yellows! Shocking performance, he handed it to them in my opinion! Good to see MON take him on when he was going to get his medal! Will we get an apology? Dowd, rule last man equals sending off!

It is worth mentioning that Man Utd were clearly the better team after 90 minutes. Of that you can have no arguments. It's a different game when you're playing against 10 men.

Good post Pompy.

Phil Dowd was a joke today. Im disgusted to be honest. But United deserved to win it on the day. Rooney is world class.

Has he made any comment on it as to why he didnt send him off. As I understand the rules if you are the last man and prevent a goal scoring opportunity by commiting a foul it is a red card.

I think I have seen enough football to know how refs generally apply this, but maybe I don't know as much as I should, however I think Southgate, Shearer Hansen and lineker do and they all thought he sould have been sent off.

As to we should have beat them 11 v 11. That ain't the rules, you beat whats in front of you and that should have been 11 v 10

As for the offside on 85 minutes, well???????

I hate Phil Dowd! Thats the bit of luck we needed to win, Man utd did play better over the 90 minutes but we started brightly and if Vidic was sent off I think this thread wouldnt even exist because we would be celebrating!! But on a happier point we played well, held are own against world class opposition if we can perform like that for are remaining games in the league it will be an even better season.

:flag:

UP THE VILLA!!!

Why are refs untouchable, we talk about technology but the problem is refs do not know their own rules! If the shoe was on the other foot everyone would be talking bout it! Knowing our luck the fat prat will ref our next home game!

no I want him to ref us in the FA cup final. The only reason he didnt send vidic off is because of Man u fulham where he sent 2 off, he remembered that today. He knows he owes us

Way I see it is central midfield was where United won the game.

Vidic sent off and Manure to get Brown/Neville on would've had to sacrifice one of those central midfielders so their domination wouldn't have happened.

I know you can say Manure played very well at VP with 10 men but they lost a wide player not a central defender so a bit of a difference. And it was 1-1 at that stage whereas us 1-0 up and them down to 10 men as it should've been so they would be chasing a goal and leaving gaps at the back for us to exploit. I would've settled for that.

Way I see it is central midfield was where United won the game.

Vidic sent off and Manure to get Brown/Neville on would've had to sacrifice one of those central midfielders so their domination wouldn't have happened.

I know you can say Manure played very well at VP with 10 men but they lost a wide player not a central defender so a bit of a difference. And it was 1-1 at that stage whereas us 1-0 up and them down to 10 men as it should've been so they would be chasing a goal and leaving gaps at the back for us to exploit. I would've settled for that.

Their strikers regularly found alot of space. Suprisingly the first time they've gone 4-4-2 against us this season and it helped them because we are easy to play against when someone is in that "hole"..

i think after the first half, we possibly could of gone 4-5-1 with Petrov sitting in middle to stop the ball through our midfield but i don't think it's the right time for that sort of debate.

Â