Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

It was one of the worst displays of incompitence I've seen since graham "3 yellows" Poll who surprise surprise is pretty much the voice of defence but I just dont see the FA showing any more backbone than dowd and no action will be taken by them

I'm sorry to keep on about this, but ive read the above about interpretation of 'moving directly towards goal' and also graham poll on radio this morning stating he probably didnt send him off as he was moving away from goal...

ERM NO! vidic did get back goal side, but no matter what angle you look at it from, gabby pushed the ball past him in the exact direction of the goal and his next act was an unimpeded shot at goal if he wasnt pulled down.

Blatantly heading towards goal and blatant red card. he does need to be questioned about this and suspended

This is pissing me off as well. They make it sound like Gabby is heading for the corner flag. If running directly at the goal means running straight between the goalposts then a lot of Red Cards have been wrongly issued over time, and the FA are going to have lots of appeals to handle in the future. I think they are taking the rule too literally, to make excuses for a blatant mistake/cheat by the ref.

I'm sorry to keep on about this, but ive read the above about interpretation of 'moving directly towards goal' and also graham poll on radio this morning stating he probably didnt send him off as he was moving away from goal...

ERM NO! vidic did get back goal side, but no matter what angle you look at it from, gabby pushed the ball past him in the exact direction of the goal and his next act was an unimpeded shot at goal if he wasnt pulled down.

Blatantly heading towards goal and blatant red card. he does need to be questioned about this and suspended

This is pissing me off as well. They make it sound like Gabby is heading for the corner flag. If running directly at the goal means running straight between the goalposts then a lot of Red Cards have been wrongly issued over time, and the FA are going to have lots of appeals to handle in the future. I think they are taking the rule too literally, to make excuses for a blatant mistake/cheat by the ref.

In other words if Vidic doesn't bring him down, Gabby gets a clean shot at goal with Vidic on the ground AKA red card.

I'm thinking of emailing the FA to ask them about the refereeing of the match yesterday, doubt i'll get a response or any real explaination but I guess I'd just like to tell them what I think of them

Interesting too that the Chelsea lose Beletti to suspension for the same offence, yet probably far less clear-cut, yet United keep the services of Vidic.

Penalty, penalty, he’s off, he’s off,’’ Martin O’Neill spluttered on the touchline, before adding in disbelief, “he’s not going to send him off.’’

Bickster, one decision I could understand but it was a technicality according to Poll! Just the constant bias I.e our bookings against there's!

The difference here was that he clearly hadn't missed it as he gave the penalty. I could see the technical argument from Poll for not giving him a red, although I think this is BS, BUT I cannot see how he escaped without even a yellow.

Interesting too that the Chelsea lose Beletti to suspension for the same offence, yet probably far less clear-cut, yet United keep the services of Vidic.

This is a good point. The situations are near identical. Perhaps the FA should explain to us fans why there is so much inconsistancy?

In fact, what is worse for us is that Man City are one of the likely teams to beat us to 4th spot in the league. That game was at 1-2 at that point in the game so could have ended differently had the Dowd been the ref there!

So, if the inconsistancy favoured us we could have been better placed in the league and, perhaps, won the cup.

The point is surely that on Saturday the Chelsea player got sent off in almost the same circumstances as Vidic incident (even though his tackle on Agbonlahor was even more blatant!) and Man City went on to win the game at Stamford Bridge! Vidic didn't even get a card for the penalty...and Man Utd went on to win the game with 11men.

Â