Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

What a farce of a decision. How in the lords name was Vidic not sent off? Once again the game has been ruined by an inept refereeing display.

I'm not one for looking for excuses, but I feel we've been well and truly robbed, because that useless tosser in black. The occasion was too big for him, and his bias towards Man United throughout the match was shameful.

If it was a Fulham, or Blackburn, or Wigan (etc) player and not a Manchester United player, would it have made a difference?

Of course it would.

Great performance by the team.

a big thanks to phil dowd, obviously he will have had a large amount of money on Man utd to win, that is the only reason i can possibly think of for todays performance.

it didnt help that downing was crap, young was crap, we didnt play luke young at right back , cuellar messing up for their first goal and then no villa player wanting to pass him the ball making our options limited.

but as the title says, the person who won the cup today was the ref, a total disgrace which shows how bad or corrupt he was when ALL the bbc pundits agree that vidic should have gone AND they should have had bookings.

the only good thing i can say is we have witnessed quite possibly the most biase reffing ever on a live tv game, hopefully there will be some come back although no doubt al the refs will now close rank sucking alex fergie off.

It is worth mentioning that Man Utd were clearly the better team after 90 minutes. Of that you can have no arguments. It's a different game when you're playing against 10 men.

Not sure they were clearly better, but they had that bald fella, and that makes all the difference

I actually didn't think he should of been sent off because I think Agbonlahor's touch took him to an angle which would of made it really hard to score from. However should of been booked which could/would of lead to a red card.

Even by your logic, he's still been denied a goalscoring opportunity, whether it's a difficult one or not. The only reason Gabby had to check back anyway was because he was having his shirt pulled and being fouled.

He should have been sent off, but he didn't and we got beat by a better team.

Correct. Villa never really imposed themselves on the game which I put down to the occasion. Saying that, I felt we played well and although dissapointed and I am extremely proud to be a Villa fan today and I hope we can push on and get to many more finals in years to come.

Also, I thought our fans at the game were great, especially at the end.

I actually didn't think he should of been sent off because I think Agbonlahor's touch took him to an angle which would of made it really hard to score from. However should of been booked which could/would of lead to a red card.

Even by your logic, he's still been denied a goalscoring opportunity, whether it's a difficult one or not. The only reason Gabby had to check back anyway was because he was having his shirt pulled and being fouled.

Yes but then you could argue pretty much every foul in the box should be a red-card.

I think had Gabby not had a poor touch and kept driving like at goal and Vidic bought him down, it's a definate red. However I'm not sure, i'd want to see another replay.

I don't have any complaints. We were 1-0 up, we put in alot of effort but we're beaten. I think Dowd was incosistant and made some bad decisions but i'm not going to blame our loss on that.

i agree with you. it was a pen, he should get booked. becasue gabby slipped/miscontrolled the ball vidic was back between gabby and the goal as a pose to pulling him down from behind when clean through or anything like that.

on top of that, as i said in the match thread, the fact is that despite rules being black and white the ref was never going to send anyone off in the 4th minute of a cup final anyway.

he was awful throughout the game, of that there is no doubt, but crying over what-ifs isnt going to change anything and i do believe that united deserved their win. i am very, very proud of our lads though because they gave united a real game today.

The point is Vidic got booked for a foul on Young in the second half - which makes the non-booking on a penalty more of a joke. The only reason Gabby couldn't shoot as was he was being dragged back, either way red or yellow it should of been a booking. It doesn't matter it's the cup final and five minutes into the game it's denying a goal scoring opportunity. The referee bottled it end of.

He was awful, and the linesman wasn't much better. But we can't really blame him for us not winning. We couldn't win with them down to ten men for about an hour at Villa Park, I still think we'd have lost.

Â