Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

The point is Vidic got booked for a foul on Young in the second half - which makes the non-booking on a penalty more of a joke. The only reason Gabby couldn't shoot as was he was being dragged back, either way red or yellow it should of been a booking. It doesn't matter it's the cup final and five minutes into the game it's denying a goal scoring opportunity. The referee bottled it end of.

gabby WAS clean through and had vidic fouled him at that point he should have got sent off, as it was he slipped and allowed vidic to get back between him and the goal, where he was then fouled. gabby wasnt one on one with the keeper, he was fouled trying to get past the last defender. in my opinion THAT is what made the difference.

if you dont see it then fair enough but it pointless arguing over it.

i dont think our lads could have done any more - lets just be proud and graciously take defeat square on the chin instead of going on about it like wenger.

I actually didn't think he should of been sent off because I think Agbonlahor's touch took him to an angle which would of made it really hard to score from. However should of been booked which could/would of lead to a red card.

Even by your logic, he's still been denied a goalscoring opportunity, whether it's a difficult one or not. The only reason Gabby had to check back anyway was because he was having his shirt pulled and being fouled.

Yes but then you could argue pretty much every foul in the box should be a red-card.

Not really. It's all circumstantial, but in this case, it was a clear red card. For example, was Clarke Carlisle's foul on Carew (on the edge of the box) recently, a sending off?

I don't have any complaints. We were 1-0 up, we put in alot of effort but we're beaten. I think Dowd was incosistant and made some bad decisions but i'm not going to blame our loss on that.

The decision wasn't the sole factor in our loss. But of course, it's a different game when you're playing against 10 men, in a final. He should have been sent off.

The reality is that he didn't get sent off and I can accept that Man Utd were the better team with 11 men. I would have been happier having been beaten 2-1 by 10 men.

From a Liverpool fan;

cheats utd have won so unfairly. they had 12 players on the pitch and vidic should have been sent off in 1st half but didnt becos he plays for utd. And the only reason rooney has scored so many goals wiv his head this season is becos he is a big headed word removed

From an Arsenal fan;

Robbed, you were so badly robbed. did I see Dick Turpin?

From Blose fan;

You didn't deserve to lose, feel for you.

^^^ All from mates of mine. Says a lot.

Yes, as someone has said. The reason why he wasn't sent off was because he was trying to get past the player rather than being tackled clean through.

How many times do you see a play red-carded for simply a tackle. I.e had Owen knocked the ball round Collins into a more central space. Collins wouldn't of been sent off at all.

It should have been a booking but it's the fact Agbonlahor tried to go around him rather than was tackled when actaully past Vidic if that makes sense.

Not to mention he made some crucial blocks on Young to stop him running - it would have been a different game if United went down to 10. Dowd needs to come out and explain why he didn't book Vidic in the first place, given the eventual yellow was no where near as blatant as the first incident. Big decisions effect games and this very much did.

Aston Villa defender Richard Dunne on whether Vidic should have been sent off: "They got a man sent off at Villa Park and it didn't make a difference. It's better to play against 11 men and it made it a better game. It's their day today."

Yeah, he also hugged Thierry henry at full time when his handball ended Ireland's world cup dream. 90 minutes with 10 men is considerably easier than playing against 11. United are good enough without getting any favours!

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill: "I think it would be universally accepted they should be down to 10 men. There's no other decision to make. It's not a good decision by an otherwise fine referee, it's poor and obviously at Wembley we score the penalty, they are down to 10 men for virtually the whole game. It's a major point in the game."

I'm a bit peeved it wasn't a red, but i'm **** outraged it wasn't a yellow! On what planet is a fistful of shirt and bringing someone down with your legs, in the box, when they're on goal, and you're the last man not at least a yellow?

**** you Phil Dowd you gutless, pathetic hack of a referee.

The referee might have bottled it, but so did O'Neill in not picking Luke Young at right back, and not playing Carew from the off.

sorry, that is not "bottling it". mon made "an error of judgement in your opinion."

"bottling" is what stuart downing does when he thinks about making a full bloodied tackle.

Yes, as someone has said. The reason why he wasn't sent off was because he was trying to get past the player rather than being tackled clean through.

How many times do you see a play red-carded for simply a tackle. I.e had Owen knocked the ball round Collins into a more central space. Collins wouldn't of been sent off at all.

It should have been a booking but it's the fact Agbonlahor tried to go around him rather than was tackled when actaully past Vidic if that makes sense.

Essentially, you're saying it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity. To me, it's clear. Gabby would have got a shot off if it were not for Vidic's foul.

Essentially, you're saying it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity. To me, it's clear. Gabby would have got a shot off if it were not for Vidic's foul.

no he is saying what i wrote on the previous page:

"gabby WAS clean through and had vidic fouled him at that point he should have got sent off, as it was he slipped and allowed vidic to get back between him and the goal, where he was then fouled. gabby wasnt one on one with the keeper, he was fouled trying to get past the last defender. in my opinion THAT is what made the difference."

Â