Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

Vidic should have gone - would it have changed the result? Who knows.

However, he didn't, and the problem was we ended up sitting back on a 1-0. Until Carew came on we didnt have a striker who would hold the ball up for us whatsoever.

I'd say that was the problem, too much of the ball being held up, and not enough heading towards goal.

The ball didn't get held up though - it was cleared, and back towards us before we even had chance to set.

Milner was ineffective in the 2nd half as we were struggling to hold onto the ball up front - Gabby drifted out left too much meaning we were starved of the ball and our back 4 were constantly under pressure.

Thats my opinion anyway

However, he didn't, and the problem was we ended up sitting back on a 1-0. Until Carew came on we didnt have a striker who would hold the ball up for us whatsoever.

I thought Gabby lead the line brilliantly yesterday so that's a little unfair Chris - he ran the channels, held the ball up and won us the penalty!

Yes, he held it up when we got it to him, trouble was his partner - Heskey didnt hold it up, get us the chance to build.....

Again, just my opinion, Gabby was excellent, when we fed him. Heskey however...

the cover up continues ... with Poll saying that Dowd used a technicality withing the laws to avoid the sending off

"The player must be heading towards goal, it's a stupid technicality, but he (Agbonlahor) loses control of the ball and it goes behind him and at the moment he goes down he is heading six or seven yards wide of goal"

not allowing for the fact that the reason Gabby checked back was because he was being pulled by the shirt it also doesn't explain why there was no yellow card

BBC seemed to suggest that Fergies recent comments about Dowd were designed to influence , as is every fergie comment , and it probably played on the refs mind

as MON said after the game the trophy goes on the Man U shelf and the how it happened will all get forgottoen ina few weeks ... shame but that now menas that we are owed one so i ecpect a gift or a let off in the FA cup final :-)

Phil Dowd is a spineless twunt. I can moan about it until I'm blue in the face but it won't change the fact that what's done is done. He cost us the trophy and there is nothing we can do. Sad but true. I hope the waste of space drops dead...

I've just rewatched the first 20 mins of the match this morning and then had to turn it off as it was physically impossible to watch it without getting angry.

I don't know if Dowd just bottled it because of the occasion, bottled it because it was against Man United or something more sinister is going on. All I know is that it was an absolute disgrace and he literally is not fit to referee. As all pundits and neutral fans agree and as the law of the game states, Vidic should have been sent off. End of.

Also the numerous other incidents, booking 2 Villa players for late challenges, correctly, and then not booking Carrick when he does exactly the same thing. For that Carrick challenge he actually called him over and reached to his pocket, but as a typical arrogant cheating United player, Carrick walks away, and the Dowd decides not to book him. Maybe the way not to get booked is to walk away or protest your innocence as it clearly does have an effect on referees.

Another inident involving Carrick, when a Villa player slid in late but importantly did not catch Carrick and the ref waved play on for Villa. Carrick got up to berate Dowd and then Dowd decided to call the play back for a Man Utd free kick.

How about Rafaels bodychecking or blatent smashing into Villa players repetitvely? No caution again. Yet when Heskey shoulder charges a United player fairly, it is a foul.

When a player was down injured and the play continues he allows it to continue for United to have a break on when Rooney is looking Dangerous, yet when the ball is cleared to find Ashley Yound in their half in space, he decides to call the pay back?

At the end of the day, United played better than us, and on that basis deserved to win. However that is not the point that frustrates me, the point is, United should have played the game with 10 men. That is not to say that playing aginst 10 men will guarantee victory. It is to say that 11 Villa players against 10 United players would have stood us in a much greater poistion for the rest of the game. Not only tactically, physically but also mentally. The fact that he wasn't sent off and all these decision kept going against us appeared to get into the players mindset I believe. Anyone who plays football willl understand, it would have frustrated the Villa players no end and would have made the United players feel even more untouchable, and as a result giving them a big edge.

I'm not sure if I have expressed myself clearly here as I have a million feelings and thoughts all coming at once and I can't seem to make any coherent sense out of them. I don't want thsi to sound like sour grapes so at the end of the day I had a good day, Martin and the boys did us proud!

I thought Gabby lead the line brilliantly yesterday so that's a little unfair Chris - he ran the channels, held the ball up and won us the penalty!

Yes, he held it up when we got it to him, trouble was his partner - Heskey didnt hold it up, get us the chance to build.....

Again, just my opinion, Gabby was excellent, when we fed him. Heskey however...

I thought this was a Philip Dowd thread?

Thought he and the visually challenged Linesman had a poor day at the office. Who knows what would have happened if he had actually decided to book or send off Vidic.

You know we was robbed when every neutral and a lot of Manure fans say it should of been Red as is on the BBC 606 debate.

Just because it was a red doesnt mean we were robbed. We wouldn't necessarily have gone on to win and its often more difficult to play again 10 men, as we found out as gainst them at Villa Park in the league a few weeks back.

It was too easy for United, we very rarely looked threatening.

Yes but it was a central defender. We saw Blackburn collapse at VP when Samba was sent off and Manure would've had to take a midfielder off to bring on another defender so they'd have lost the midfield dominance.

And they'd have needed to score with 10 men so played right into our hands.

I don't think United would collapse like that, especially with Rooney on the field aswell, they'd still have been a massive threat, and it's often harder playing against a team that has just had a player sent off.

Vidic should have gone, fair enough, but I think it's being used as a bit of an excuse and almost as if had Dowd shown him the red, we'd have gone on to win!

We could have played for another 90 minutes yesterday and we probably still wouldnt have scored against them with 11. We made it easy for them, evening during spells during the first and second periods where we had a lot of the ball, we didn't look threatening.

Well Rooney wasn't on the field at that point!

I just see it logically as Manure would've needed to score with 1 less player (and for all their domination at VP, they didn't actually score with 10 men).

Obviously with it still being 11 v 11 Manure proved they were the better side but it shouldn't have been that.

the cover up continues ... with Poll saying that Dowd used a technicality withing the laws to avoid the sending off

"The player must be heading towards goal, it's a stupid technicality, but he (Agbonlahor) loses control of the ball and it goes behind him and at the moment he goes down he is heading six or seven yards wide of goal"

not allowing for the fact that the reason Gabby checked back was because he was being pulled by the shirt it also doesn't explain why there was no yellow card

BBC seemed to suggest that Fergies recent comments about Dowd were designed to influence , as is every fergie comment , and it probably played on the refs mind

as MON said after the game the trophy goes on the Man U shelf and the how it happened will all get forgottoen ina few weeks ... shame but that now menas that we are owed one so i ecpect a gift or a let off in the FA cup final :-)

It is a disgrace what Poll is saying imo, Gabby could very easily have just tapped the ball to the right and he'd had been back towards the centre of the goal but he lost control as the serbian cnut had fouled him AND was tugging at his shirt which should've been a yellow all on it's own anyway.

Look at what Belleti got sent off at the weekend, he barely touched Barry and yet it wasn't a cup final early on so no problem sending him off because of the "occasion."

I'm don't normally too fussed about ref decisions but this was such an obvious one to get wrong, I'm still fuming about it.

Graeme Poll is a massive tool, so I disregard most of what he says. Dowd is a massive word removed of an even higher order to coming up with this excuse, would he have done the same if the was foul was commited by Dunne on Owen? I doubt it, he probably would have dished out some card.

Graeme Poll is a massive tool, so I disregard most of what he says. Dowd is a massive word removed of an even higher order to coming up with this excuse, would he have done the same if the was foul was commited by Dunne on Owen? I doubt it, he probably would have dished out some card.

Agreed, I tend to ignore the opinion of a referee who fails to send off a player until he issues him with his 3rd yellow. If he can't even get that simple rule correct, his view means nothing to me.

What's Poll been saying? and is that the Same Graham Poll who gave a player 3 yellow cards, missed one hell of a rugby tackle and then was forced to retire due to his lack of referring ability?

I'm sure if Poll was in charge yesterday he probably would have booked Vidic three times. This shouldn't be swept under the carpet, is there a way to complain about a referee? I hope this keeps coming up in the media.

I'm sure if Poll was in charge yesterday he probably would have booked Vidic three times. This shouldn't be swept under the carpet, is there a way to complain about a referee? I hope this keeps coming up in the media.

The media will sweep it under the carpet as it is Man Utd that benefited from it. All will be forgotten and we will go down in history as losing this cup final. In reality it could well have been a different story if the useless piece of shit (Dowd) hadn't bottled the decision....

Â