The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

I use mine all the time. If other people think I am weird for talking into a phone, I politely remind them that it's a **** phone.

Maybe it's just me then! :unsure:

I get that it's a phone, I just think it seems a bit wierd talking into your phone while looking at it. I don't think I've ever seen a random person using Siri/Google Search in public before though.

What do you mainly use it for? For things like weather, I'd prefer to just open the weather app, for sports updates, I'd prefer to open my Sky Sports App, etc.

Edited by DCJonah

I don't use any of the voice recognition stuff on my S3. Its way to inaccurate and by the time I've lost my rag and shouted at it, I could have typed what I wanted anyway so tend to just do that.

What do you mainly use it for? For things like weather, I'd prefer to just open the weather app, for sports updates, I'd prefer to open my Sky Sports App, etc.

Search queries, weather, football scores. All kinds of stuff.

HzDrN.png

It might be slightly different on my (Android) phone because I can directly open the app just by pressing the microphone in the search widget, but even if that fails then I am taken to the screen where I would type a search query anyway. I just think it's a really neat feature and I recommend it highly.

I use my voice control (also android) when I'm in the car. It's actually pretty good for sending a text without putting my life at risk!!

But in any other situation I don't see the point. It's too slow and/or unreliable for it to be worth me doing it instead of just manually doing whatever it is I'm trying to do.

Really? In terms of speed I have found it to be much quicker than typing, much quicker than swyping too (which is definitely the best way to type on a touch screen I might add) and while I will concede it doesnt work 100% of the time the hit rate is high enough for me to persist. I dont have a broad brummie accent though, which might be why it works. :P

Hit rate isn't good for me. it's ok if I speak very slowly, but at regular speaking speed it's not very reliable. But thta might be down to the S3 version being crap. Not sure.

As for Swype, tried it for a while. Didn't get on with it. Again, no quicker than regular typing for me.

• 2 weeks later...

may be a daft question ..but can you tether phones other than iphones to a device  ?

the survey I was running in Brum today went down as the wi-fi link stopped at the venue  , luckily the supervisor had an i-phone so we tethered it to the 6 laptops and saved the day , but just wondered if we'd have been able to do the same with any old 3G phone ?

• 3 weeks later...

So after downloading and installing IOS 6.1 on my (work) Iphone 4S the battery has been getting battered. I then get a text from Vodafone asking If I haven't already installed it not to bother... too late.

Today, new notification of 6.1.1 to fix the issues with 6.1 but each time I click to download/install it tells me it can't because I'm not connected to the internet (which I clearly am). What a f**k up.

After reviewing all the options and having an extensive play with a Samsung Galaxy S3, I have finally decided to upgrade my iPhone 3GS that I have had for approaching 4 years. I'm getting an iPhone 5! To me, it does all I want. Yeah it may not be as customisable as Android phones but fannying around customising my phone doesn't really hold any appeal to me. So yes... lack of imagination maybe, but i'll be staying in the Apple camp for the forseeable future. 

• Like 1

Have you not considered the Nexus 4?  Supply problems seem to be all but over now and it is a **** ridiculously good phone for the price, In fact it would be a ridiculously good phone if Google were asking iPhone money for it, but they are basically selling it at cost price (£239 or £279 plus p&p depending on how much storage you want).  It's arguably the most powerful handset on the market and looks far cooler than the S3 too. It's probably on a par with the iPhone 5 in terms of industrial design, though I will concede that a black iPhone 5 looks like Darth Vader's phone and that can only be a good thing. 

A Nexus 4 and your choice of SIM only tariff is a pretty smart way to get a smartphone at the moment. Even factoring in the price of buying a phone up front it still works out cheaper than most (if not all) of the flagship phone contracts, and as it is unlocked from any carrier you can switch between carriers to your heart's content. 

http://youtu.be/SpaLZOjqMew

As for fannying around? At one point it was the only thing on Android, but it's not really the case any more, since 4.0 I think Android is pretty amazing with the factory default settings.  It's how I use my phone. 

I think my post history in this forum proves that I am not anti Apple, I still use an iPod every day (and I love it to bits) but I just think that the Nexus 4 is such a good deal at the moment that it is definitely worth bringing it to peoples attention. 

After reviewing all the options and having an extensive play with a Samsung Galaxy S3, I have finally decided to upgrade my iPhone 3GS that I have had for approaching 4 years. I'm getting an iPhone 5! To me, it does all I want. Yeah it may not be as customisable as Android phones but fannying around customising my phone doesn't really hold any appeal to me. So yes... lack of imagination maybe, but i'll be staying in the Apple camp for the forseeable future. 

Anyone other unsubstantiated myths you'd like to put forward?

• 4 months later...

Wondering about casual gaming on the iPad. Just seeing XCOM: Enemy Unknown being ported from PS3 to iOS made me wonder. Are there loads of good RTS games out there on iOS? I know the game scene on iOS is much better than android currently, something which may change with devices like Project Shielf from NVidia and the Ouya. 

Still though, I'm not a big gamer person. But I have every few years dusted off old copies of classics like Startcraft and Total Anniahlation to play on my laptop. 

Â