The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

The current crop of high end Android phones are superior to the iphone. The current crop of Ultrabooks wipe the floor with the Macbook Air.

No they don't.

I've used both and the Air is a far superior and nicer machine to use imo.

Yes because Ultrabook is just one machine. :rolleyes:

Have a look at what's out and coming out now. Namely the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus and the Asus Zenbook Infinity.

Then come back with your statement.

The Macbook Air has a garbage screen, is an old too large bulky design compared to those two machines. Plus doesn't have a touchscreen either.

So I'll say again. They trail their rivals in this department without question.

That's why techradar produce the best reviews, they mocked the Galaxy S2 for being too light and what do you know they did the same to the iphone. The criticised Android keyboard 2 years ago about speed of typing compared to Apple and low and behold they mention that they can type 30% faster with SwiftKey on an S3.

It's refreshingly objective.

I wrote an email of complaint last night to the UK editor of Techradar as there were 21 articles on the first page which were Iphone related and a couple non iphone related not including the sponsored articles and to be fair to him he has replied first thing this morning to say that they had received many similar complaints on that matter.

This morning it did look far more balanced.......

I remember emailing techradar about not updating their Galaxy S review to account for the Android 2.2 update meaning flash support that their criticisms were all addressed with that update. It was in December and the update rolled out in September 2010 he replied and we had a bit of conversation about phones.

But techradar site now is plastered with ads and is very monetized now. Meaning they want more traffic to get more money so they need to become pro apple. The iphone 5 they said should be a 4.25 score. I wouldn't be surprised to see them just dish out a 5 star next. At least 4.5 star for the 5S.

My workmate is bringing in her 8 month old iphone 5 as the battery is clearly faulty. It cannot get to 3pm on a single charge. She has to keep it plugged all the time.

Since the iphone 5 us discontinued will they replace her phone?

My workmate is bringing in her 8 month old iphone 5 as the battery is clearly faulty. It cannot get to 3pm on a single charge. She has to keep it plugged all the time.

Since the iphone 5 us discontinued will they replace her phone?

Yeah since it's still under warranty, they'll give her a refurb.

I'm no 'Apple fanboy' but I do own a Mac and an iPhone. I know there are better alternative for less out there but I stick with Apple because I have NEVER had a problem with them and I find their products really user friendly. I have an iPhone 4 and an old white Macbook and I won't get anything new until they explode. And when they do I'll probs just get a Mac and an iPhone again as it seems to just work for me.

I can hear the scoffing and incredulity from here and I totally get that but I have no good reason to use anything else when my current set up works fine and I've had 4 years free from technological hassle.

I don't believe that Apple products are easier to use than competing products. Can you expand on why you think they are? I think it's a bit of a myth.

I'm no 'Apple fanboy' but I do own a Mac and an iPhone. I know there are better alternative for less out there but I stick with Apple because I have NEVER had a problem with them and I find their products really user friendly. I have an iPhone 4 and an old white Macbook and I won't get anything new until they explode. And when they do I'll probs just get a Mac and an iPhone again as it seems to just work for me.

I can hear the scoffing and incredulity from here and I totally get that but I have no good reason to use anything else when my current set up works fine and I've had 4 years free from technological hassle.

I don't believe that Apple products are easier to use than competing products. Can you expand on why you think they are? I think it's a bit of a myth.

This was my mates excuse for sticking with apple. I think told him my mother in law uses an s3 with no problems and my father in law uses a galaxy ace. It takes just a couple of days to adjust.

There's an iphone only thread for that Pete. this is the iphone thread and challenging someone's assertion that iphones are easy to use is completely on topic.

For me it's because I can sync my calendar, notes and reminders with my laptop and also things like photo stream etc. I know other phones have cloud technology but everything is very easy or me to sync as I have an apple laptop and phone. I'm not technologically savvy in the slightest so having iCloud set up for 3 odd years now just keeps things simple for me.

Also I think the layout and general software of the iPhone is very simple to use. And in addition I've had problems with windows pcs and other phones in the past but never with my current set up. I suppose windows and linux are better for people with computer knowledge but not for me. I'm very happy and satisfied with my experience and have no reason to change.

Spoony it's interesting how you gave Apples cloud services as a reason because it's Apples weak point. Their cloud services are crap. I hear over and over how bad they are on tech podcasts. Even the Apple fanboy site The Verge complain about iCloud.

It's almost obvious saying it because Google is an Internet company but. Google have much better services.

Do you use Gmail? Do you use Google Maps?

Has anyone updated to iOS 7?

A work colleague has and had full charge of baterry at 8am and its now on 25% and barely used?

If he has an iPhone 5 that's normal. All 3 people who have them in work struggle to get to 5pm on a charge. One of them is bringing her phone into Apple store to say it's faulty and see what they do.

Spoony it's interesting how you gave Apples cloud services as a reason because it's Apples weak point. Their cloud services are crap. I hear over and over how bad they are on tech podcasts. Even the Apple fanboy site The Verge complain about iCloud.

It's almost obvious saying it because Google is an Internet company but. Google have much better services.

Do you use Gmail? Do you use Google Maps?

I use Gmail and Google Maps (Apple maps is and always has been dire). I think it's got to the point where I know I can get better elsewhere (Galaxy S5 looks to be incredible) but I'm in such a comfort zone with what I have and I don't feel the need to upgrade.

I should probably say that I bought my computer in the USA with student discount. I would NEVER have paid the price it costs out here it must be said.

When it comes to the time when I NEED to upgrade, I would certainly not think that I HAVE to have an iPhone. I'll certainly look at the other options. One of the ways they 'get you' I guess is that you make a bit of an 'investment' into apps and that's one of the things that'll draw me back to the iPhone. But also I'll have to consider that there isn't really much difference between the 4 that I have and the 5s even after all this time!

As you can see I'm not great with these discussions!

... I'm in such a comfort zone with what I have and I don't feel the need to upgrade....

As you can see I'm not great with these discussions!

No, that's a great point. There seem to be several types of people post in these type of threads, those who are very much pro or very much anti one manufacturer or another, or their products. Then there's people who read all the reviews, keep up with all the news about phones or computers on the internet and have it as a kind of hobby, I suppose.

Then there's the third type - people who occasionally dip in and are either content, like you, with what they've got, or maybe are thinking about getting a new gadget, or updating their gadget, but are not over fussed about whichever make or model to a massive degree.

It's hard to fish out what's relevant to you (or I) from all the stuff that's not. People don't often tend to say, "well if you're happy with what you've got, just stay with that" or "if you prefer iOS/Android because you're used to it, or because you have lots of apps for it then stick with that, for that reason." To me that seems better advice than "Apple is evil / Samsung is evil/ Google is evil, or no they're note easier to use, or the screens are better or worse.

To me, better advice is along the lines of "If you're thinking of changing, go to a shop, look at products, try them out, look at your budget, look at hidden costs (replacing apps, say), or try a mate's phone and see what you think, see if it's for you, or not"

I have an old iPhone, I'd quite like a phone with a bit bigger screen, but I can live with this one. I've looked at some androids, but they don't quite "feel" right. I've looked at friends iPhone 5s and there's things I don't like about them, either - price being one, and as you say, they're not that much better or bigger. So I'm sort of sticking with what I've got till something turns up that seems clearly for me, better by a big distance.

Has anyone updated to iOS 7?

A work colleague has and had full charge of baterry at 8am and its now on 25% and barely used?

If he has an iPhone 5 that's normal. All 3 people who have them in work struggle to get to 5pm on a charge. One of them is bringing her phone into Apple store to say it's faulty and see what they do.

Yeah iPhone 5, I have another colleague who says he only has to charge every 1.5 days on moderate use.

Certainly no more than the person on ios 7.

They also had much better battery life before updating it so I don't see it as being normal.

Â