The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Before you read any reviews, I bet as a matter of fact no American reviewers will mention the below.

Techradar mentions price in both reviews and it will not be mentioned at all in The Verge (obviously being an iphone fan site essentially). while Engadged give comparisons with no judgement

Always refreshing reading techradar, they let no phone away with anything and their three 5 star phones over the years were all 5 star phones. HTC Desire, Galaxy S2 & HTC One.

We should be comparing the iPhone 5C against the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and HTC One Mini, but thanks to that hefty price tag Apple has slapped on its plastic clad handset we can't as it's already priced itself out of that market.

Instead the iPhone 5C is stuck rubbing shoulders with the big guns of 2013, a lot of which have witnessed slight price drops since launch making them cheaper than this Apple offering, and along with sporting better specs and more compelling features, it makes things difficult for the 5C.

US oriented review sites don't mention phone prices, especially on the high end, because approximately 99% of those phones are bought as part of a phone contract.

E.g. AT&T: 5s is $199.99 w/24-month contract, as are the Moto X, G2, Lumia 1020, 16GB S4, S4 Active, 32GB HTC One, BlackBerry Q10, and Note II.

Pre-orders aye. As I said I no doubt expect them to sell despite the pricing. Me personally, I would rather fork out that bit extra for the 5S. Starting at £469 for the C is insane but when they hit the shelves I expect them to sell just as well. 

For iPhone fans I don't understand why people don’t just get on the iphone 4 to 5 to 6 etc.. Two year cycle of upgrading. The 3GS to 4S to 5S people are imo naive.

As for Apple I can see the strategy is to move to a 3 device model. Next year there will be the 6, 5S and 5C and they can sell that 5c for a low price, especially in China while there will be a visible difference between the 5 phones and the 6 which will be new design and most certainly a bigger screen. Probably 4.5 inch.

From there forward they'll probably keep the two screen sizes like they do with the ipad. It's a sound plan imo.

Because a lot of people with iphones are on contract and got involved with the 3gs so every 2 years is the next s model.

Also I've just found out that I know someone who Upgraded to the 5 a month ago and claimed to not know the 5s was coming out. I think he's been under a rock for the last 2 months.

A 4.5 inch iphone would be nearly edge to edge screen and I bet it'd be very similar in dimensions to the S4 mini which feels so damn nice to hold with one hand size wise. That's got a 4.3 inch screen. But I bet Apple can fit a little more in by September next year.

I could never own an iPhone. Despite gorgeous hardware iOS is diabolical on a phone. I use Google apps and care more about having integrated with my phone than anything. At the end of the day Apple forces you onto their hilariously bad maps, forces a jany and passable gmail experience, has no Google Now (you'll only realise the importance f you ever used it for a year) has no choice on default apps. 

For those reasons an iPhone to anyone not locked into a total Apple product line and eco system is just a no. Actually an iPhone is a no. If you want the apps you get the iPad mini that comes out next month and dump the iPhone. 

I've explained why I'm getting an iPad mini, a mix of need (a killer app) and the hardware. I'll put up with iOS as I don't require anything from my tablet. Maps, Google Now, Gmail etc.. that stuff on the go I need my phone for. 

Give me iPhone hardware with KitKat OS and I'd be a happy man indeed. 

Mrs E's 4S feels FANTASTIC in hand compared to my plasticy S3. 

I just hope the new new nexus (Autumn '14) is a cracking phone cos that will be my next one. 

Yes but the feel of a phone wears off. So after you get over how it looks you end up with a day to day experience inferior to the experience on the S3.

You type faster on the S3, people can debate it but it's a simple fact. There is more screen to type on and better keyboards. Next you have Google apps which are superior on Android. Then you've a better Web experience as you are not forced to use a hilariously tiny screen to view the Web.

The list is very long.

I understand the appeal of Apple and the lock in eco system. It's an easy decision to default to what Apple feels like serving up. But it's now unquestionably an inferior OS experience than Android.

Just one example, I've an iPhone 5 in my hand. I've taken a picture and am looking at it. I want to share it. Apple decided I can share this with Facebook, Twitter or iMessage. Android let's me share that with any method I choose.

How can it be iOS 7 and simple things are made hard. The frustration is iphone users don't know or care how much Android is a superior experience.

Why don't Apple just open it up to developers?? Is there an actual reason?

The only reason I can think of is Google. People will default to google apps. Meaning their rubbish Apple maps is bypassed. Siri is bypassed. Mail is bypassed. Etc..

Give me iPhone hardware with KitKat OS and I'd be a happy man indeed. Mrs E's 4S feels FANTASTIC in hand compared to my plasticy S3. I just hope the new new nexus (Autumn '14) is a cracking phone cos that will be my next one.
You can have 'premium' feeling hardware on a high end Android phone though. HTC and LG's flagship handsets feel awesome. Edited by The_Rev

I just hope the new new nexus (Autumn '14) is a cracking phone cos that will be my next one.

You can have 'premiu

I can conclude 2 things from this post

1) you are talking in tech speak and I have no idea what you are on about

2) you were typing whilst driving a train and this has lead to some terrible rail disaster which I will shortly be reading about on the BBC.

You can have 'premium' feeling hardware on a high end Android phone though. HTC and LG's flagship handsets feel awesome.

That is true but the wait for an update on HTC is terrible.

I wouldn't pay the premium price for the lg, I don't know why.

You can have 'premium' feeling hardware on a high end Android phone though. HTC and LG's flagship handsets feel awesome.

Yeah and obviously there are issues with my stance re the iphone.... for example I would never pay £700+ for one when I can have a Nexus that will destroy it on all fronts apart from "premium feel" for c.£250. 

To use a car metaphor..... you'd never but a basic BMW 5 series when you could have an all singing all dancing Honda for the less money. 

Â