The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Thing is Stubbo Apple have you in their net and it's tricky to get out of it. Your phone buying decision is being influenced by other things like peripherals etc..

You should try out another phone OS without any fear, there is no functionality in iOS that isn't there in Android. Then with Android you can pick the phone that suits you and go from there. You can always go back to Apple if you don't like Android. But here's a key thing, Android can do so much more as an OS than iOS so you could end up loving how well things integrate on Android, you won't know if you never try.

But the point is, it's hard to guage what an individual wants. But what harm can trying out a different OS be? You can then make up your own mind, as you'll be owning a smartphone for the forseeable future it's probably best to pick the one that suits you best.

Stevo and dodgyknees are two who've recently made the switch to Android with positive opinions.

You are right Conor, everything else in the house is apple.

I need to make a decision quick but i'm like a pendulum at the moment and when I think I have decided someone comes along and makes me start thinking about the other. It is doing my head in!

In my house we used to have 3 Ipod Touches, 2 Iphone 4 & an Ipad. They have all pretty much been replaced by Android equivalents and its great because if someone brings out a handset or tablet that runs android I can buy one and not have to worry about my apps etc that I have bought being lost.

In my house we used to have 3 Ipod Touches, 2 Iphone 4 & an Ipad. They have all pretty much been replaced by Android equivalents and its great because if someone brings out a handset or tablet that runs android I can buy one and not have to worry about my apps etc that I have bought being lost.

Ker-ikey, that's a bit of a change!

How are you finding the Nexus 7 against the iPad?

Well the ipad went to be replaced by an Asus Transformer which was replaced by a 10.1 Samsung Tab and The Nexus 7 had about 20 mins last night to set up.

The one thing which I havent tried yet but assume will work is if I buy an app on my 10.1 Tab and it is compatible with the Nexus 7 will it download for free.

Well seems LTE will only work on EE with the Iphone 5. Unlucky Voda & O2!

Link

I have wifi networks from my house, to work, in town and other places too. 4G ir the lack thereof will not bother me.

Exaclty, all this gives EE the licence to take the piss on data prices for 6 months whilst the members of the Apple Cult lap up their iPhone4s GTI or whatever it is.

The data costs for 4g will dwarf 3g (IMO of course)

What were people hoping for with the iPhone 5 then?

Bigger screen with retina

Faster processer

Better camera

Improved os

Full Siri functionality

Better battery

Improved design made out of quality materials

Thinner

Lighter

Oh....

Better battery? Everywhere I've read says the battery is just as a ad as the iPhone 4s, 8 hours talk time.

Yeah according to Apple the battery figures havent changed from the 4S. But its a bigger screen and thinner phone, maybe people would prefer an extra mm in thickness for an extra few hours batterylife. But Apple have to make a one size fits all phone.

It is quite good. It seems "right". I think it's unlikely that any company will always be the leader, always be the one to come up with radical new designs and interfaces and the like. I think it's better for us all if there's a kind of relay, where (say) apple comes up with the iPhone, and then other companies see the market for such devices, and innovate to make something better. It's much preferable than others simply copying what the "leader" did, to try and get some sales. We get more genuine choice and diversity and options.

Want something with a big screen - then buy this one. Want something with a super camera - then get that one. Want something that has a lovely shape and feel - get that one.

It's all about having choice. Different people will prefer different ones for different reasons. Not just name, or price, or I'll never buy anything made by apple/google/microsoft/whatever - that's just for the obsessives.

Another thing in that article is the shape and design - criticism of lack of change. Maybe it's like car makers - they come up with something like (say) the VW Golf - and it sells well, is renowned for being well made and built and designed, and VW iterate for 5 or 6 models, then they'll come up with (say) a completely new concept and the cycle goes on. He's right that with so much money coming in, they'd need a reason to depart from what people buy - think of the disaster that was "New Coca Cola" - coke changed a established but massive selling formula, and got burned. For al the folk who want never ending "new", as many and more want "familiar". That's what companies look at. The world's biggest company is not going to chuck away it's biggest earner by straying too far from what made it so.

Yeah according to Apple the battery figures havent changed from the 4S. But its a bigger screen and thinner phone, maybe people would prefer an extra mm in thickness for an extra few hours batterylife. But Apple have to make a one size fits all phone.

Taken from the apple website- 3G time is he same, browsing and standby have improved.

iPhone 5

Talk time:

Up to 8 hours on 3G

Browsing time:

Up to 8 hours on 3G

Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Standby time:

Up to 225 hours

4s

Talk time:

Up to 8 hours on 3G

Browsing time:

Up to 6 hours on 3G

Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi

Standby time:

Up to 200 hours

I agree blandy, there should be competition, competition drives innovation and benefits the consumer. But what worries me are stats like Apple and Samsung owning half of the US smartphone market. There is huge brand loyalty in the phone industry, and despite a company like HTC making two fantastic phones this year they are in trouble.

I read a good article in the Economist talking about the competition to get first time smartphone buyers. Samsungs policy of making phones for all Price ranges is to get new users onto their devices and from there they will buy more expensive devices.

Apple have cultivated the image of being easy to use, being the gateway to the smartphone world. As a result their huge sales have been driven by first time buyers. But as was reported the US market is now at saturation level, the only growth in smartphone sales is in the low end payg sector.

I think all of this is what drives Dieters piece. The rapid expansion is over, Apple either gambles potential sales backlash now for potential future benefit or it sticks to what is safe.

The iphone 5 isn't Vista, but it is ME

Well the ipad went to be replaced by an Asus Transformer which was replaced by a 10.1 Samsung Tab and The Nexus 7 had about 20 mins last night to set up.

The one thing which I havent tried yet but assume will work is if I buy an app on my 10.1 Tab and it is compatible with the Nexus 7 will it download for free.

Yes definitely. When I set my nexus7 up it automatically popped all the compatible apps that were on my HTC Desire HD on for free. Then I did a quick search and dowload of the flash, bbc iplayer apks and boom, who says its flash incompatible?!?

Then when my Galaxy Nexus came and I went on to play store to get the few paid apps I'd got for the nexus 7 it said as I'd already purchased the app to go ahead and download again for nowt!

Oh and a Google Nexus with jellybean is pretty good speed v a s3.

It's a shame the new iphone didn't have NFC, if it did that would drive NFC payments forward. But if the iphone doesn't have it I can't see many companies feeling a need for NFC payments. Shame as I was hoping we'd press ahead in that area, but in reality until Apple put it in the iphone we'll have to wait.

Aren't Apple buying some massive NFC related company? Maybe that wasn't complete in time so they held it back for the next upgrade.

I'm pretty happy anyway, wasn't expecting a massive leap. Don't care about catch up. I do like a lot about the S3 having played with it yesterday. But I think ... I'm sticking with the iPhone and as I'm going from the 4 to the 5 (I never go model to model, I had a 3 before the 4). I'm making photobooks with my iPhone 4 that are pretty darn impressive and the 5 is only gonna really improve on that. The S3 does have some really good camera features as standard that I liked, possibly i'd get into that camera better. Though lens attachments and crap that I play with isn't so easy to get for it.

Aren't Apple buying some massive NFC related company? Maybe that wasn't complete in time so they held it back for the next upgrade.

I'm pretty happy anyway, wasn't expecting a massive leap. Don't care about catch up. I do like a lot about the S3 having played with it yesterday. But I think ... I'm sticking with the iPhone and as I'm going from the 4 to the 5 (I never go model to model, I had a 3 before the 4). I'm making photobooks with my iPhone 4 that are pretty darn impressive and the 5 is only gonna really improve on that. The S3 does have some really good camera features as standard that I liked, possibly i'd get into that camera better. Though lens attachments and crap that I play with isn't so easy to get for it.

Sort of the same as you regarding taking a leap. I have a 3GS and have done for the past couple of years. I made the mistake of taking out a contract a few months before the 4 came out not realizing it was a yearly thing by Apple. My contract ended back in July but I decided to wait this year for the 5 and rightly so.

I also bought the new iPad earlier this year when that came out and I love it.

Regarding the 5, I pre-ordered mine this morning. Opted for the 16GB as I just realized my 3GS was only an 8GB and I haven't even filled that even though I've got a good amount of data on there.

Â