The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Currently worked out my "best option" and it's slightly surprising after adding up all the options...

iPhone 5 64gb : 24mths (hmm) x £26 - unlimited texts and calls + 1gb data + £399

Works out cheaper than keeping my £20per month simplicity and buying outright (£699) though that would mean i'm not locked in. The new rolling simplicity locks you in 12mth tho you get unlimited text/calls/1gb

Currently worked out my "best option" and it's slightly surprising after adding up all the options...

iPhone 5 64gb : 24mths (hmm) x £26 - unlimited texts and calls + 1gb data + £399

Works out cheaper than keeping my £20per month simplicity and buying outright (£699) though that would mean i'm not locked in. The new rolling simplicity locks you in 12mth tho you get unlimited text/calls/1gb

Or £699 and a giffgaff SIM at £10/month with 250mins unlimited texts, unlimited data, or £15 for 400 mins with no minimum term on the same network.

Or £699 and a giffgaff SIM at £10/month with 250mins unlimited texts, unlimited data, or £15 for 400 mins with no minimum term on the same network.

That's the fella giffgaff, very good sim. Not sure the word on them but very very good.

Hey all, peace out, I'm not here to re-ignite any kind of never-ending argument, but holy crap, £700?!

So, you could buy a Galaxy Nexus for £250 brand new rather than spend £700 on an iPhone5, save £450, gain 0.6", an arguably better screen, and IMO a way better OS experience. I understand everyone has their own opinions, you don't need to tell me I'm wrong.

Each to their own and obviously more power to you if you're happy to spend £700, but shit the bed, £450 more to get a worse phone?

If I was Apple, my worry would be that the "high end" customers appear to be leaving. It would be interesting to see how app store revenues are trending. I suspect they'll end up with a large number of users who want a "simple to use" phone, who don't buy extras and are happy not buying the latest phone. It's hard for anyone to justify 700 quid for a phone which is not as good as its cheaper rivals, especially when they've lost the "external devices" lock in.

I also await the EU's action as Apple have chosen to wilfully ignore the "one charger" EU agreement they signed up to requiring chargers using micro-USB as the single charging solution for all phones sold in Europe. Unless they bundle the £15 adapter free throughout Europe.

The app sales on apple an android was discussed on one of the podcasts I was listening to. The percentage of apple users who have more than 10 paid for apps on their device had dropped from 40 to 25%, while on android it had gone up over 20%.

You can spin that however you want though, surely? Given that every iPhone has outsold the previous version then the installed base is bigger now than ever (even when you factor in people who are upgrading) then it stands to reason that the percentage of 'power users' will go down. Doesnt mean Apple's bottom line will be lower though.

Â