The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

What were people hoping for with the iPhone 5 then?

Bigger screen with retina

Faster processer

Better camera

Improved os

Full Siri functionality

Better battery

Improved design made out of quality materials

Thinner

Lighter

Oh....

Thing is Stubbo Apple have you in their net and it's tricky to get out of it. Your phone buying decision is being influenced by other things like peripherals etc..

You should try out another phone OS without any fear, there is no functionality in iOS that isn't there in Android. Then with Android you can pick the phone that suits you and go from there. You can always go back to Apple if you don't like Android. But here's a key thing, Android can do so much more as an OS than iOS so you could end up loving how well things integrate on Android, you won't know if you never try.

But the point is, it's hard to guage what an individual wants. But what harm can trying out a different OS be? You can then make up your own mind, as you'll be owning a smartphone for the forseeable future it's probably best to pick the one that suits you best.

Stevo and dodgyknees are two who've recently made the switch to Android with positive opinions.

S3 hands down.

If I had my heart set, for some reason, on staying with Apple, I'd probably be seriously considering either going for a 4S or getting a 5 and immediately selling it and keeping the cash.

I can't stand the S3. My brother has leant me his for the last week and it just drives me crazy. Slow, unresponsive, and the layout of where everything is just confusing (although I suppose I'm not used to it).

I recently had my iPhone 4 stolen, the iPhone 4S was a complete waste of time so didn't bother upgrading to that, so I was hoping for really big things with the iPhone 5 so I've waited to use my upgrade to get a replacement. If the iPhone 5 was a let down I was going to investigate further into android phones, but I'm so used to iPhones I'm not sure I want to change (another great catchment ploy by Apple. once you have a couple of products, they all work so well together that changing becomes really annoying).

The iPhone 5 does look amazing. But holy **** that price needs to drop. It should, by spec comparison, absolutely kick the arse off the other phones on the market (and Apple needed to do that if they were to hold on to the market but Android really had closed the gap). It's twice as fast as the iPhone 4 (which was already one of the fastest phones), it's got better graphics, an amazing battery.. But of course this is all based on Apple's keynotes. The only reviews you're going to get at the moment are going to be the pro-apple 'oh my god everything is amazing' or the anti-apple 'this is shit look how my android does the same thing for half the price'.

I would ordinarily wait for a couple of months and wait for some feedback - but I'm hating having this S3 and my brother could do with it back anyway. I need to buy a new one, and with work offering to pay for my replacement handset, I really do think I'll just run and grab a 5.

Don't suppose anyone has one yet and can give some unbiased feedback?

I can't stand the S3. My brother has leant me his for the last week and it just drives me crazy. Slow, unresponsive, and the layout of where everything is just confusing (although I suppose I'm not used to it).

You control the layout, bud. If you don't like it, change it.

And slow and responsive? I can only suggest your brother's handset is faulty or something because it's easily the quickest phone I've ever used (coming from an iPhone 4)

Yeah you lost the post at slow and unresponsive. The S3 is blitzkrieg fast. The home screen redraw being the only glitch I've found.

Also what basis have you to claim the iphone 5 by spec comparison should blow the arse off the competition? You've no idea what processor specs are, we know its a dual core so right there it'll probably lag in brute power the quad core brigade.

I have no doubt there is no phone on earth even close to the Optimus G that LG is bringing to market this year. That quad core S4 with 2gb of ram and the exact same in cell screen as the iphone 5 (because LG make the screen). That phone will obliterate everything on spec. It even has a 13mp camera which LG are calling the best ever in a phone. (I think the purview 808 would disagree)

But really though. How can I have read two posts in this thread talking up the iphone spec when nobody knows what the spec is yet.

OK. Ignore everything in my post above the 'can anyone give me some feedback' bit then...

Perhaps my brothers phone is faulty, but he hasn't had it all that long. Stuff just takes an age to open and close. Perhaps he has a virus on it or something.

Ok my above post was in reply to your original reply before you edited it.

Take it from the people who have the S3 on here. It's lightening quick. There is certainly something wrong with your brothers phone.

As for the iphone 5, it hasn't shipped yet so nobody can give feedback on it yet

Thing is Stubbo Apple have you in their net and it's tricky to get out of it. Your phone buying decision is being influenced by other things like peripherals etc..

You should try out another phone OS without any fear, there is no functionality in iOS that isn't there in Android. Then with Android you can pick the phone that suits you and go from there. You can always go back to Apple if you don't like Android. But here's a key thing, Android can do so much more as an OS than iOS so you could end up loving how well things integrate on Android, you won't know if you never try.

But the point is, it's hard to guage what an individual wants. But what harm can trying out a different OS be? You can then make up your own mind, as you'll be owning a smartphone for the forseeable future it's probably best to pick the one that suits you best.

Stevo and dodgyknees are two who've recently made the switch to Android with positive opinions.

You are right Conor, everything else in the house is apple.

I need to make a decision quick but i'm like a pendulum at the moment and when I think I have decided someone comes along and makes me start thinking about the other. It is doing my head in!

CVByrne, your hate for Apple is hilarious. Rather than telling people what phone to buy, why don't you let them make their own decisions? You may aswell go roaming the streets, stopping people with iPhones and getting down on 1 knee begging them to switch. Seriously, calm down.

I just think you should set aside preconceptions and plump for the Nokia Lumia 920 or one of the headline Android phones and see what you think.

You know you want to the big yellow Nokia :D

Haha you know what I think about it :winkold:

Its between the 5 and S3 and if the S3 had LTE it would be decision made but I cannot wait for the new version to land.

Edit: above post changed so reply deleted.

Haha yes. I'm like a bear with a sore head today so decided not to start another fight like I'm doing in the Hillsborough thread.

I am genuinely open to recommendations. Although I've had iPhones for years (and I will probably end up sticking with one because I'm lazy) I'm also aware that Android Phones are now much much better than they were when I first decided on an iPhone.

I forgot they hadn't shipped yet. I'll have to wait a bit longer I guess.

Oh, and on that bright yellow Nokia... f*** off. :P

However, that in the grey or black (or even the Cyan when it's out) might be quite nice.

Best phone I ever had was a Nokia. 3310. **** indestructable. Amazing phone, but then Nokia vanished for like 10 years.

Â