The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Huh?

It was in the paper. The guys camping out fothe iPhone 5 already are doing it to raise money for Cancer Research. Think people are sponsoring them and then they're auctioning off whatever phones they buy at the end of it.

I know 2 people that have ordered the iphone 5, neither of them could tell me anything about the phone other than its thinner, lighter and has a bigger screen! iPhone is sadly like a fashion accessory, some people just have to have one.

Its a smartphone, what else do you need to know about it?

When did buying a phone become so..... geeky!!

When was the last time you went up to your mate and asked them why they bought a particular make of TV, DVD, Laptop or toaster? The brands within the top, middle and lower price brackets all offer same standard functions and features. So the final choice will often come down to aesthetics, ease of use and familiarity with the brand.

I remember buying my Nokia 402, not because it had a sh1t hot processor, but because I could replace the front cover with a nice pretty one!

I'm buying a iPhone 5. It will look nice next to my Mac and my iPad. Hate?

With you all the way man. There's no reason for me to buy a mac at the moment but I have the iPad and the iPhone is on order.

The hate is unbelievable. If somebody came up to me and started questioning me on why I bought a certain phone I'd flip. You don't need a reason, **** off.

People need to hush up about the money issue aswell. Apple have always been renowned for charging alot of money for their products and yet they still sell? Answer me that? Oh. They announced 2 million pre-orders in 24 hours. I wouldn't call that failing. I also respect the people that camp out for it, it's their choice if they so wish to. Apple stores will be rammed Friday - why not? I am so not pissed off. Good day.

Warnock, basically people don't care how good the device is if it's apple. But if it's a tv, or a car or insurance etc.. Then people care. In those cases getting value for money, getting the best etc matters.

That's what frustrates. Apple is exempt in your eyes from any criticism or analysis.

Nobody has said they are failing either, but the writing is on the wall. They have stopped innovating in the smartphone sector. It leaves them open to rivals bringing out new innovative features that iphone users look on jealously at.

Also it's a lie that Apple always over charges for its products. Their entire macbook range is competitively priced. My Samsung Series 9 was over 100 quid more than a macbook air. Also the ipad was a success as it undercut laptops.

Warnock, basically people don't care how good the device is if it's apple. But if it's a tv, or a car or insurance etc.. Then people care. In those cases getting value for money, getting the best etc matters.

That's what frustrates. Apple is exempt in your eyes from any criticism or analysis.....

That's partly right, and true of other sectors or products - some people will stick to Honda cars, or BMW, or Jaguar, or VW....some people will always go for Android, or Linux or Sony or Nintendo.

Some of it's fanboy stuff, some of it is because of "trust" - like I know VW cars (hypothetically) have always been good for me, and so I'd get another VW, even if a Toyota has a better spec. VW is always reliable, nice to drive...blah blah [it's an example, I'm not saying that's the case for me personally].

Spec isn't everything. Back to iPhones - it's apps they have, or they are used to the way they work...it's the OS that they might like, or not want to get used to a different one.

If it frustrates you, then I guess that there are more important things to worry about than someone else liking a different make of telephone than the one you believe to be best for them.

People don't always go just with best spec. There's more to life and consumer goods than just specs.

That's what frustrates. Apple is exempt in your eyes from any criticism or analysis.

Nobody has said they are failing either, but the writing is on the wall. They have stopped innovating in the smartphone sector. It leaves them open to rivals bringing out new innovative features that iphone users look on jealously at.

Also it's a lie that Apple always over charges for its products. Their entire macbook range is competitively priced. My Samsung Series 9 was over 100 quid more than a macbook air. Also the ipad was a success as it undercut laptops.

I'm not the sort for stats, numbers, figures and whatever but if they are starting to fall back in the market if you like, how come they sold over 2 million phones via pre order in the first 24 hours? The first 24 hours dude! Is can't be that bad can it? I'd love to see how many get sold over the release date, the first week, month and up to Christmas.

It's because the market is growing, you can be losing say 5% of your existing customers if you are adding 15% of new customers. But the smartphone market is just about to reach saturation level in the US. You talk about Apples sales, Samsung ships more smartphones than anyone. Both have been raking it in during this boom.

But the brand loyalty with Apple will wane, iOS is the problem. It's old and dated and even the fanboi tech sites, for example engadget is as pro apple a site as there is. They are pointing out the iOS looks and feels dated. With the most modern of all OS's Windows Phone 8 about to have a big splash next month, the competition has just heated up.

A huge amount of people who had iPhones have switched to Android at this stage. I'd imagine there are more people leaving iOS for Android than vice versa. But there's no definitive figures for that. People leave because they have got used to smartphones and now want more. The iPhone can't offer that as it's a one size fits all on a really old OS.

The point is Apple are no longer innovating in the smartphone sphere. How long can they continue to be trailing the competition while keeping all their users? In 2 years it could be very different to today.

I know 2 people that have ordered the iphone 5, neither of them could tell me anything about the phone other than its thinner, lighter and has a bigger screen! iPhone is sadly like a fashion accessory, some people just have to have one.

Its a smartphone, what else do you need to know about it?

When did buying a phone become so..... geeky!!

When was the last time you went up to your mate and asked them why they bought a particular make of TV, DVD, Laptop or toaster? The brands within the top, middle and lower price brackets all offer same standard functions and features. So the final choice will often come down to aesthetics, ease of use and familiarity with the brand.

I remember buying my Nokia 402, not because it had a sh1t hot processor, but because I could replace the front cover with a nice pretty one!

I'm buying a iPhone 5. It will look nice next to my Mac and my iPad. Hate?

With you all the way man. There's no reason for me to buy a mac at the moment but I have the iPad and the iPhone is on order.

The hate is unbelievable. If somebody came up to me and started questioning me on why I bought a certain phone I'd flip. You don't need a reason, **** off.

People need to hush up about the money issue aswell. Apple have always been renowned for charging alot of money for their products and yet they still sell? Answer me that? Oh. They announced 2 million pre-orders in 24 hours. I wouldn't call that failing. I also respect the people that camp out for it, it's their choice if they so wish to. Apple stores will be rammed Friday - why not? I am so not pissed off. Good day.

Let's just close the forum then, or shall we all just sit here and go apple are so cool. If we all agreed it would be boring, people saying why android are closing the gap isn't hating apple. I have an iPad that I'm typing this on now!

..and the iPad for example is miles better than any 10 inch Android tablet. Apple macbooks are great devices too. It's no anti Apple. It's criticism of a device in the iPhone that's past its sell by date and Apple don't care as long as they can force existing users to believe they should never try something else.

Just to pipe up.

Despite me having an S3 and having no intention of swapping back to Apple, the apps on the iPhone are a lot LOT better from what I've seen.

Stuff on Android is fine, and suffices.

But there definitely appeared to be more choice and better apps/games on the Apple App store.

Obviously this is just from my experience.

But that could well be a selling point for some people.

But on the flip side to that stevo android has loads of apps that could never be on the iphone. Also when you see the new granular notifications in Jelly Bean and what amazing new functionality app developers now have access to you'll see there is more than just how many of the App Store apps make it to Play store and more what great apps iphone users will never see.

It's no longer as simple as comparison of apps on iOS and if and how good they are on Android. Most of the apps I use don't exist on iOS.

Light Flow, Tasker, SwiftKey being my main three. While allowing Chrome be default browser. Then I have my Twitter widget, music player widget and Pulse news widget.

Actually kinda amazed myself that pretty much all my apps are Android only.

There's a council meeting in Hagley to decide whether to change the name of the town to Dudley so that people can find their way home tonight. Kidderminster has gained some long closed shops and post offices too. I hope no-one is planning to rely on this junk.

Â