The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

All you can eat data. It's unusual for a top end phone to be available for free within a couple of months of coming out.

Seems like they've just added 5 quid a month onto the contract instead of paying 99 quid upfront. So works out pretty much same. Still don't have the initial outlay which may be useful to some before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question and I feel a bit of a idiot for asking but as I don't know the answer, I need to ask!

If I was to get another iPhone (can get an old one for free from a mate - think its a 3G one) do I need to link it to my current iTunes account (currently have a 3GS)? Or can I just pop a sim in and it'll work without doing this. I appreciate I won't be able to download apps etc without it linked to an iTunes account but I don't need to. It'll just be a 'spare' phone on a different number that'll be very rarely used*

Thanks

* I appreciate it sounds dodgy but it'll be used as a holiday phone and will stop work ringing and texting me when I'm away! I'd only give the number to a select few people.

Here's a question and I feel a bit of a idiot for asking but as I don't know the answer, I need to ask!

If I was to get another iPhone (can get an old one for free from a mate - think its a 3G one) do I need to link it to my current iTunes account (currently have a 3GS)? Or can I just pop a sim in and it'll work without doing this. I appreciate I won't be able to download apps etc without it linked to an iTunes account but I don't need to. It'll just be a 'spare' phone on a different number that'll be very rarely used*

Thanks

* I appreciate it sounds dodgy but it'll be used as a holiday phone and will stop work ringing and texting me when I'm away! I'd only give the number to a select few people.

I'm confused. Why don't you just put the new SIM in your current phone?

I'm confused. Why don't you just put the new SIM in your current phone?

In short, I want a separate device and as its free...

The longer version is that my 3GS is nearly dead and being replaced by a 5. Now, the different phone is required as I might well be in some places where I don't want to take my new iPhone 5 out for fear of it getting robbed/stolen (South America. sub saharan Africa and parts of SE Asia). So a separate device and number is the preferred option and if its nicked then its no major loss. Other option is a cheapo Nokia

So, going back to my original question, is it possible?

Could you not just create a second I-tunes account using a different email address ?(Facebook kindly gave you one on your account if you don't want to create a second one )

As to the device my kids had my old iPhones and they run off my itubes account , you can sync all 3 devices to the same PC and same account but you can also load different apps on each device , long as you don't click the automatically sync new apps button on iTunes then the boy doesn't get my daughters my little pony stuff and she doesn't get his Ben 10

( or should say didnt as I traded the phones in and got them a nexus 7 each :-) )

The boy got given a sim at the airport one time and whilst we didnt put any credit on it I could still call him on that number and send him text messages When im away with work and what nkt

And as I say that phone technically was still on my iTunes account

When viewing villatalk on iphone there isnt an option to go to last page of topic meaning you sometimes have to scroll through a hundred pages to get to the latest. Is there a way of doing it or is it being worked on?.

When viewing villatalk on iphone there isnt an option to go to last page of topic meaning you sometimes have to scroll through a hundred pages to get to the latest. Is there a way of doing it or is it being worked on?.

There is a whole forum for discussing site issues. Try marking the whole forum read. I assume this works because after I post it no-one reports it's still a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Rip off of the year? £20 is probably the cheapest I could find on that model.

EDIT: My bad, just noticed the price you have to pay up front and the total costs etc etc. Duhh

Edited by Warnock

Just as an exercise in science, how many of you guys use Siri regularly? I ask because it seems much more hyped than the Google Voice search app even though almost everybody says the Google Voice search app is massively superior, even on iOS (reviews on iTunes will testify to this). Is this just an example of how effective marketing can be at times? As an iPhone user can try both, how many of you actually do?

Google Search App (iTunes)

List of voice commands (for Google Now, on Android, but I have no reason to suspect they will be any different on iOS)

Anyone want to share their findings?

Just as an exercise in science, how many of you guys use Siri regularly? I ask because it seems much more hyped than the Google Voice search app even though almost everybody says the Google Voice search app is massively superior, even on iOS (reviews on iTunes will testify to this). Is this just an example of how effective marketing can be at times? As an iPhone user can try both, how many of you actually do?

Google Search App (iTunes)

List of voice commands(for Google Now, on Android, but I have no reason to suspect they will be any different on iOS)

Anyone want to share their findings?

I don't use either to be honest. I always thought Siri would fail when it was originally announced. It's just a novelty that wears off after you realise it's just easier to enter your question, message, etc. manually. I don't think people are comfortable talking to their phones, asking it questions, etc. in public. It's ok to use in your house messing about, but I can't see it being used properly until it improves a lot.

Edited by DCJonah

Â