The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Thanks for the info re: Music guys.

Still not sure that I want to leave the comfortable world of apple phones, but I think I will probably have to.

I've heard so many people give this as their reason for not wanting anything other than an iPhone. Once you get this out of your head then youll understand.

Still not sure that I want to leave the comfortable world of apple phones, but I think I will probably have to.

I've heard so many people give this as their reason for not wanting anything other than an iPhone. Once you get this out of your head then youll understand.

I was the same, it felt like I had cheated on my wife with a $10 ho.

The guilt soon went away when I used the S3.

Mainly due to curiosity and trying something new, but also it's become harder to defend Apples prices, stubborness to change it's dated iOS and even it's phone design.

Just out of interest why would anyone need to defend Apple. They make expensive phones that work. Do people have to defend Porsche or Bentley?

It used to be a huge pain in the ass when I was an iphone owner coming on to here to find pages of comments extolling the virtues of Android and knocking Apple. There are some Villa fans who are quite happy with their Iphone and might even be happy to upgrade to the latest version.

Surely if they are interested in Android I am sure they will be able to make their way to the other thread. Lets leave this thread for iphone owners to discuss their phone of choice in peace.

• Like 1

Tech sites, particularly in America have to defend Apple iphones or simply ignore the negatives in order to placate the ifans as it is directly related to sites traffic. So you just say apple products are the best, then move on with the rest of your sites reporting.

Take the verge, Josh tore iOS to pieces, then slapped 8.8 score on the iphone saying it's just him that needs Jellybean. So he reviews the phone but ignores his own views and defaults to most people will be happy.

It's pathetic, but he has to do it. A large number of Apple fans that read tech sites are in a large part irrational and don't accept negative criticism of Apple, they will only read sites that praise apple.

That's why techradar produce the best reviews, they mocked the Galaxy S2 for being too light and what do you know they did the same to the iphone. The criticised Android keyboard 2 years ago about speed of typing compared to Apple and low and behold they mention that they can type 30% faster with SwiftKey on an S3.

It's refreshingly objective.

But what's worse is how apple only gave review units of the iphone 5 to their tech press alies. So if you want to a review unit in future you need to maintain the positive iphone reviews.

There is no level playing field in terms of reviews yet. But it's getting closer to the time when there will be.

Mainly due to curiosity and trying something new, but also it's become harder to defend Apples prices, stubborness to change it's dated iOS and even it's phone design.

Just out of interest why would anyone need to defend Apple. They make expensive phones that work. Do people have to defend Porsche or Bentley?

It used to be a huge pain in the ass when I was an iphone owner coming on to here to find pages of comments extolling the virtues of Android and knocking Apple. There are some Villa fans who are quite happy with their Iphone and might even be happy to upgrade to the latest version.

Surely if they are interested in Android I am sure they will be able to make their way to the other thread. Lets leave this thread for iphone owners to discuss their phone of choice in peace.

I don't think there's many left.

Yes, I was one. But I am so bloody happy I switched, its a huge difference to have the S3.

Going back to the review thing, reviews are as much about validating the opinion of people who have already made their mind up as they are about offering product advice. The people in the enthusiast press are well aware of this. You can find a ton of discussion on the matter if you are willing to poke around in forums and blogs. Site metrics clearly show that positive Apple coverage generates a lot of page views, so coverage is generally positive. Of course that doesnt automatically mean Apple products are shit, becuase they are clearly amongst the best in their field (I've used an Apple iPod almost every day for at least five years) but I think a lot of people now strongly feel that Apple cant trade on the "iPhone is the best phone in the world" line like they could a couple of years back*. A few months ago I was 90% sure I was going to replace my Android phone with the iPhone 5. I'm now 99.9% sure I wont, and that is party because Jelly Bean is so good and partly because iOS6 is so underwhelming and in a lot of aspects (maps especially, which I use a lot) is clearly inferior to Android. The hardware is beautiful though, if I could get Android on an iPhone 5's hardware I'd be seriously temped but as is well doccumented in my post history, for me it's all about the operating system. As long as the hardware is powerful enough to run the operating system perfectly then I am happy which is why I'm not seduced by the phone with the most memory or the fastest clock speed.

*even then there were people who disagreed, but I would argue that they could understand why Apple would be prepared to make that claim.

Â