• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey HT)
    • Delfouneso (for Delph 75)

Thought it was a typical cup tie all kick and rush without much quality. Warnock sent his team out to rough us up and generally it worked. We didn't have enough steel in our midfield to win the battle and certainly not enough ability to enforce a passing game on them. Palace deserve great credit for their performance, while we have produced another poor performance in a season full of them.

Our football is putrid to watch and we lack vital incrediants in certain areas.

For a team suppose to be full of pace, we have very little in the centre midfield positions where it is vital to have as an attacking option. Our midfield also lacks bite which was pretty evident today again.

Young and Downing being our most creative outlet in wide areas simply don't create enough and as for our forwards....Jesus!

With the exception of Gabby, who still has a way to go to be the forward we need, the rest of our strikers don't score enough, or carry enough threat.

There is a lack of balance in our team, not enough pace in centre midfield, pace on the flanks and in our forward line when Gabby plays, but not the creativity we need and strikers who don't score enough.

On a brighter note, Fonzie again looked good when he came on and looked a threat whenever we got the ball to him. Our best two strikers then, not purchased by Martin, but born from our academy. Maybe now is the time to unleash the Gabby Fonzie partnership on the Premiership? At least it might promote more of a passing game through the middle for us and kick the hoofball out the window?

Siberia for you....get your bags packed.

That's certainly not vinegar you have dispatched on those chips.

....but your right, as far as I'm concerned.

I too would like to see the fonz given a run with Gabby.

although i felt for Carew with the ref today he just gets blamed for being big and powerful.

although i felt for Carew with the ref today he just gets blamed for being big and powerful.

I agree. I get the feeling players being tackled by Carew or tackling Carew think they can get away with diving simply because of his height.

I'd say it would be a lot easier than the Carling Cup Final

To be honest if Villa did get to the semi's, I'm not sure whether I'd go because it is a lot of money and hopefully I'd save my money for the FA Cup final ;)

I'm a season ticket holder by the way

Don't worry, I'll take it off your hands :winkold:

I don't think one person has said Heskey had a good game, it's just some people don't think Carew had a good game. Just clumsy and constantly giving free-kicks away, loses his battle with his man.

Not the first time Carew is constantly penalised by a referee for everything though.

A word on the linesman, how the hell were Delph and Delfouneso offside in the second half, deserves to be reported for those shockers.

Well if you look at the free-kicks that were given against him, the defenders get infront and he just literally pushes them off balance. Of course he's going to give away free-kicks if he does that. He doesn't battle with his defender enough in terms of getting infront of his man and securing the ball. It's like he isn't that bothered and defenders simply get infront of him way too easily and he just doesn't retain possesion.

Agree to disagree on both Petrov and Carew I think as it's been done over and over. Carew has shown some poor form but the last two games he has come on he hasn't done too badly.

Great cup game to watch on TV... didn't play that badly & we didn't play that well.

Alan Lee's getting away with an elbow in Warnocks head just typified the whole afternoon...

Bad pitch, rough game & officials who let Chrystal Palace get away with murder!

Still fair game to them, they made it a real battle & got a replay to keep em solvent...

"You only sing when your bankrupt"........... :lol:

Really enjoyed a cracking cup tie today.

I think it was a decent performance and we showed resilience to come away still in the hat for the quaters.

Credit to Palace and their fans for almost dumping us out.

I think we were the better team overall. We had 4 efforts flash inches by the post, Ash falling over when in on goal and a last ditch tackle to thwart Carew. We definitely deserved something out of the tie (and I was bloody pleased we did!)

As for comments regarding 4-5-1. To me, we played 4-4-1-1 in the fist half with Ash playing behind Heskey. 2nd half, was more 4-5-1 with Milner playing centrally but a lot deeper.

Loved Petrov exploding into the box like a bullet train for the equalizer.

The officiating was dreadful IMO. Inconsistent the whole way through.

Palace's first goal, the linesman didn't give a **** when the ball was way outside the quadrant, but when Young placed it on the edge, the linesman wanted it further back.

Also both offside calls against Delph(when he was through on goal) and Delfouneso were so obviously incorrect, that linesman really ought to be sacked.

Delph's yellow card and the subsequent free-kick given to Palace was another baffling decision.

Shit refereeing. But our performance didn't help either.

Totally agree.

MON was very lucky we got an equalizer because his squad selection was unbelievably poor.

We literally played without a striker until the last 15 minutes so it was a complete waste of the first 75 minutes playing Heskey.

If Delph and Carew were on from the start we may have been in front early and possibly comfortable enough to be able to rest some players

A below par performance from the players but the manager is to blame for this replay IMO. To play 451 with Heskey on his own up front is just poor tactics, it was obvious that we would lack a serious attacking threat. I'm a big MON fan but the tactics were so obviously wrong today. Delfouneso should have had the start. I'm pleased we're not out though, the cup is there for the taking this year.

think delfouneso should have started but who am i to question the messiah ?

O neill is the man and i will stand by anything he says and does, however i will still air my opinion lol

Think people are being a little harsh on Friedel, Warnock got in his way for the first goal, and the second was just something special. Reminded me of ROnaldo's free kick last year against Pompey.

Am confident of doing em in the replay and just hope Albion beat Reading, we have a great record against Albion so can be very confident of ANOTHER game at Wembley.

THese wembley trips are fast becoming just like the number 11 bus . . . wait ages for one and then they come in 2's and 3's

Heskey up front didn't work, but I think people who say he was upfront alone didn't watch the match. Downing, Ash, and less often Milner took turns rotating as the other striker. The Assistant referees made three of the most diabolically bad offside decisions I've ever seen: One against Delph, one against Heskey who was clearly not involving himeslf, one against Fonz. I am confident that both would have failed the match in the US (every pro match is assessed). The center would have failed solely for giving Lee a caution when a send-off was absolutely mandatory.

I am concerned because if I was an opposing manager, my tactic against Villa would be to batter us physically. We seem to be unable to counter that effectively.

neil Warnock has really pissed me off

He calls the linesman a disgrace for flagging for a Villa corner and the speed of which the incident happened I didn't see it and even on the slow motion replay it would be still hard to make it out.

Yet Warnock completely ignores the fact that Palace should have gone down to 10 men, Delph was incorrectly flagged offside when he was a good 2 yards onside and he was clean through on goal and the lino flagged offside on Delfouneso when he was about 20 yards onside!!!!

I normally like him but he talks so much rubbish it gets boring!

Am I the only one who saw them replaying the lie of the ball for the corner for their first goal and it was about an inch over the line of the little semi-circle thingy?

It was about an inch outside the quadrant but still overhanging it, so it's still legal.

We literally played without a striker until the last 15 minutes so it was a complete waste of the first 75 minutes playing Heskey.

If Delph and Carew were on from the start we may have been in front early and possibly comfortable enough to be able to rest some players

I am confused. Heskey played 45 minutes, not 75. Delph was on from the start, he was subbed for Delfouneso at 75 minutes.

To be honest it was Delfouneso who offered something; he should have started with A N Other.