• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey HT)
    • Delfouneso (for Delph 75)

Look we were away from home, playing on a terrible pitch, against a side with nothing to lose. It was going to be difficult as they are physical side and pressured our lads with their man marking. We can be totally aggrieved by the officiating today as it was shocking for both sides.

Second Half ratings ( as I missed the first half )

passing - 5

attidude 3 ( only 7 post their second goal )

defending 5

crossing 2

ref - 0 called fouls against Carew all the damned time then made an horrific decision which allowed us to spawn a thoroughly undeserved draw

MoN - 3. That's what you get starting one up front against a **** CHAMPIONSHIP side. Negative play, inferiority complex of matches v spurs and united carried over against crystal **** palace. So so lucky to get a replay - and now a match 4 days before our final. Well **** done. Who you going to play in that one?

Friedel 5 - shakey.

Young 6

Collins 6

Dunne 6

Warnock 5

Milner 5

Petrov 6

Delph 6

Downing 7 - two good assists

Young A 5 - so inconsistent

Heskey N/A

Carew - 6

Delfouneso. Should have started. So clearly should have started.

Overall - the second half at least - was a sickengly inept display. Out played by a championship side - an unwanted replay - cost me money - lack of hunger, lack of effort and lack of quality. How in the **** name are we still in the cup and competing for 4th? It's this inconsistency between good and shite which is driving me insane.

We'll lose the replay - I'd love to know how many players will really bother trying with a cup final only 4 days later.

Feeling utterly disgusted - I thought our unambitious drivel that was proffered forward against Spurs could have been excused by the net result of two statistically good points. Nothing excuses that crap.

Shambles..... as my son would say - "take a chill pill". It isn't that bad. Give credit to Palace, they deserve it.

I'm not taking anything away from a valiant effort by Crystal Palace. We did not help ourselves. The manager was tactically naive and the players played poorly. I don't understand why I should not criticise an awful Villa performance.

alan lee might be a dirty word removed, but i bet collins and dunn know they have been in a game, if only our forwards could show just as much effort.

If Warnock had a fractured eye socket would he know he'd been in a game?

It was dirty, it was dangerous and it's just a shame the ref booked him. If he hadn't I'm quite confident that he'd be looking at a four match ban.

We didn't play brilliantly but we battled manfully, we never really looked like we got going but i think this has much to do with Palace gettign amongst us and not giving our midfield any time on the ball.

The Villains that went down made a right racket, again our away support was quality.

The draw is unfolding very nicely for us, beat Palace and we've got another 1st Division team, Blues in the semi's at Old Trafford would be brilliant!

We started brightly and then they scored after a rare Friedel mistake - that really rocked us and it took a fair while to get back into the match.

A corker of a free-kick put them back in front but we never looked in danger in open play.

Palace deserved the draw just on their work rate alone - they were really up for it...

My ratings:

Friedel - 6. picked the ball out of the ball of the net twice - that's all!

Warnock - 6. looked rusty after missing a few games but did ok as the game went on.

Dunne - 7. Did nothing spectacular today but nothing wrong either

Collins - 7.5. Scored a great header but tested by Alan Lee all game.

Young (L) - 7. Solid.

Young (A) - 6. Moments of greatness..... and then he falls over :evil:

Milner - 7. great work ethic but just didn't happen for him today.

Downing - 6.5. Some great deliveries but not much else.

Delph - 7. unlucky to get booked! played well today

Petrov - 8 (MOTM). Ran the middle for us and great equaliser.

Heskey - 6. Did not do much at all but looked injured within 3 mins.

Subs:

Carew - 6.5. Looked both dangerous and disinterested - how???

Delfouneso - 7. A lively cameo and caused them problems.

Fans - 10! All you could hear on the TV - well played!!!!

We seem to be going through a run of inept attacking performances. Usually I write poor performances off to temporary form. However I'm beginning to think that we have too many similar players, I.e. Wingers. We need players who can put their foot on the ball and allow us to build slowly. We always aim to get the ball straight upfront and into the (empty) box. We always loom more threatening when we've built play patiently but this rarely happens anymore. I think were missing Barry in this respect. The alternative theory is that milner is playing poorly and were suffering. I hate overreactions and rarely post negative comments but I really think we need someone with a bit more composure playing through the middle. I hope milner can learn to be this player.

Getting a bit bored with the Carew slating now, he did OK and could have had a goal or two

But its ok for Heskey/Sidwell etc to get criticised. Carew is a fans faveourite and I think you are still looking through tinted eyes in his favour..he was very poor again today.

Getting a bit bored with the Carew slating now, he did OK and could have had a goal or two

But its ok for Heskey/Sidwell etc to get criticised. Carew is a fans faveourite and I think you are still looking through tinted eyes in his favour..he was very poor again today.

Disagree, he was much better than Heskey

As for Sidwell, he has turned out to be a very poor acquisition, I'm sure everyone would agree

I wouldn't say 'very poor' Mikey - he tested the keeper more than Heskey did in the same amount of time (not that i'm slating Heskey either :winkold: - he looked crocked after 3 mins!!!) Although he 'facially' didn't look too bothered today.

It could have been 2-3 for Carew today to be honest - Speroni pulled off a couple of good saves for Palace.

Yes, he's a fans favourite but seriously, his performace was alright in a game that would have been difficult to come into as a sub.

We were shit, no hiding against it. Getting fed up with Carew not doing anything now, had a couple of chances but what a surprise STILL didn't score, had 50 minutes to do so. Full strength side and we only just sneak a replay...doesn't help that the replay will be Tues/Weds the same week as the **** final. We should be OK in the replay but you never know based on that display. Let's hope for some more Brighton prices, £10 adult anywhere in the ground and it might be a good attendance again despite the night time fixture and the probability that it will be on television.

Nearly out through sheer negativity but we will win the replay at home. One up front against palace isnt good enough, delfouneso must start playing some games, starting this weekend against Burnley - we looked a different side when he came on

Delfouneso would have been kicked all over the park if he'd started - that was Warnock's game plan - physical and in-your-face....

I agree with one upfront was wrong but Heskey and Carew can't play together and Gabby was injured.