• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey HT)
    • Delfouneso (for Delph 75)

Getting a bit bored with the Carew slating now, he did OK and could have had a goal or two

But its ok for Heskey/Sidwell etc to get criticised. Carew is a fans faveourite and I think you are still looking through tinted eyes in his favour..he was very poor again today.

Disagree, he was much better than Heskey

As for Sidwell, he has turned out to be a very poor acquisition, I'm sure everyone would agree

I didnt see him do anything better than Heskey and obviously others think the same way.

Come on lads get behind the team. Palace were always going to be up for this as their very existence could depend on going through to the next round and their players want to make sure they get their wages. To those moaning that we went with 4-5-1 how many of you complain that we don't play 4-5-1? I thought Carew did well today in that he a ctuallt put a bit of effort in, looked a threat up front and brought others into the game well. I'd have thought it would be quite obvious as to why Warnock played in that O'Neill wants to give him game time to get match fit ahead of the final and this being against a lower standard of team makes it almost the perfect game for him to come back in. I thought Downing was excellent today providing most creativity in our side and with a fantastic delivery from set pieces.

Not good but not that bad. Palace done what any 1st division side would do in a 5th round fa cup tie at home, fight for everyting. 2 soft goals to give away from us. Ambrose has a good freekick in him so we should have had 3/4 in the wall. It;s our attacking play that isn't right just now. Last 3 games has been hit and miss. Our 2 wingers have been below par and Milner. This has resulted in the forwards having nothing to go on. We need to sort this out as we can't rely on defenders and defensive midfielders to come up with the goals to get us out of jail.

When you get down and wrestle in the mud, the pig loves it...

They dragged us down to their level and played to their stregths. 2 goals flattered them, they created very little. If it wasn't clear before, it is now, we need a striker!

The main thing is we're still in it and even with changes should be too strong for them at home.

It's our attacking play that isn't right just now. Last 3 games has been hit and miss. Our 2 wingers have been below par and Milner. This has resulted in the forwards having nothing to go on. We need to sort this out as we can't rely on defenders and defensive midfielders to come up with the goals to get us out of jail.

I half agree, but I feel the problem is that our forwards aren't giving our wingers anything to hit rather than the other way around.

There were a number of occasions today where Young had to cross very deep directly to Downing or Downing had to cross very deep to Young. Quite often the only player in the box (particularly in the first half) was the winger from the opposite side.

Others also agree with me :-)

That's the intarwebs for ye

I'm one of them.

Hear hear!

After coming on, Carew posed loads more goal threat than Heskey. Hell, he was closer to scoring almost straight after coming on than Heskey was in the entire 1st half.

Granted he didn't score and that's what strikers are supposed to do, but, using the cliché, on another day he could've bagged a couple.

All in all, a better performance from him than recently, though that isn't too much to ask really :P

carew looked pretty dominant in the latter stages, real pity he didn't bang one in to kickstart a good run of goalscoring form. delighted to earn a replay considering our shocking record @ palace over the years.

decent quarter final draw too if we make it through, always good fun to go to the hawthorns

Getting a bit bored with the Carew slating now, he did OK and could have had a goal or two

Indeed i dont understand it either, i thought he did ok against Utd when he came on but a lot of people on here ripped him apart. He was a lot better than Heskey today, but i dont think either can play up front on there own. He's not as sharp as he could be, but if he could hit the form of the end of last season he could be a very important player for us. Although he has been awful for most of the season.

Thought we were going out and was getting flash backs of our defeat to Sheffield United in the Cup a few years back (Warnock again!)

Starting Heskey alone up front was asking for trouble. My first thought was that gave us little goal threat.

I'd rather see the Delf and Carew up front than Heskey - he just doesn't look like scoring!!!

Good draw for the next round providing we can see off Palace at Villa Park

Cracking game, really enjoyed that.

If people have not learnt over the years that these games are never easy by now then they never will.

We see it time and time again and not just for us.

I think we need to start seeing a bit more of Delfouneso now though and Delph looked quality again.

People have been crying out for 4-5-1 (including me at times) as it seems to work, but only against the big teams, when you only switch to 4-5-1 when it's lower league opposition it's absolutely baffling. I know Gabby was out but we still had 2 international strikers and a very promising youngster.

Glad we're still in it, and pretty confident we'll win the replay even if we do rest a few players for the cup final.

Oh, and Alan Lee's a dirty bastard isn't he? Saw him play a few times for Ipswich and don't remember him swinging elbows around like he was today.

At least it means I might make it to a Villa match that week having missed out on Wembley tickets...

People have been crying out for 4-5-1 (including me at times) as it seems to work, but only against the big teams, when you only switch to 4-5-1 when it's lower league opposition it's absolutely baffling. I know Gabby was out but we still had 2 international strikers and a very promising youngster.

quote]

I don't know about others but if Agbonlahor isn't a lone striker, i'd put Delfouneso infront of Carew/Heskey because the way we play 4-5-1 means the game can be stretched and we can get in behind teams, which is pointless with Carew/Heskey upfront.

I've been asking to play 4-5-1, but not with Carew/Heskey by themselves upfront!!