• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey HT)
    • Delfouneso (for Delph 75)

thought our whole midfield was poor today. Apart from Dunne, Collins, L.Young.

Not sure anyone else had a good game, perhaps Downing for his general delivery and creation of chances.

You don't seem to like giving Petrov any praise? The man was a real leader and battler today as he cannot be fully fit. Not just the goal but his all round performance. The goal did typify a captain's goal though.

His header was brilliant. However his overall performance?

Like Milner, Delph, they got out-battled and rarely got on the ball or got control of the match. He was non existant for most of the match like pretty much our whole midfield.

It was the FA CUP - league placings go out the window. The pitch was not great, which favours spirit and fight - Palace had plenty of both.

We did well to hang on and we now have a good chance of getting through to the semis.

We are still undefeated, that is great, we want to keep the winning mentality.

Role on Burnley, we will be up for it. This is a massive game, not loosing today makes it a bit easier against Burnley, we are not in the Kiev-stoke situation again.

I don't understand the criticism of Carew to be honest! People on here who expected us to walk it are having a laugh! That was Palace's cup

final and were never going to lie down!

I agree.

Carew clearly played much better than Heskey did.

It's same people every week having a go at Carew and then saying how wonderful Heskey is.

People have been crying out for 4-5-1 (including me at times) as it seems to work, but only against the big teams, when you only switch to 4-5-1 when it's lower league opposition it's absolutely baffling. I know Gabby was out but we still had 2 international strikers and a very promising youngster.

I think Gabby's our only striker capable of playing up front by himself, Heskey has the workrate but not the ability where Carew has the Ability but not the workrate.

We should get some scientists to mix their genes and end up with someone of Carew's ability and Heskey's workrate.

Imagine ending up with Heskey's ability and and Carew's workrate though. It'd be like having Ade Akinbiyi in the team.

I don't understand the criticism of Carew to be honest! People on here who expected us to walk it are having a laugh! That was Palace's cup

final and were never going to lie down!

I agree.

Carew clearly played much better than Heskey did.

It's same people every week having a go at Carew and then saying how wonderful Heskey is.

I don't think one person has said Heskey had a good game, it's just some people don't think Carew had a good game. Just clumsy and constantly giving free-kicks away, loses his battle with his man.

thought our whole midfield was poor today. Apart from Dunne, Collins, L.Young.

Not sure anyone else had a good game, perhaps Downing for his general delivery and creation of chances.

You don't seem to like giving Petrov any praise? The man was a real leader and battler today as he cannot be fully fit. Not just the goal but his all round performance. The goal did typify a captain's goal though.

His header was brilliant. However his overall performance?

Like Milner, Delph, they got out-battled and rarely got on the ball or got control of the match. He was non existant for most of the match like pretty much our whole midfield.

That midfield cost £48 mill( including the wingers) so i was expecting a little better, but hey we are still in and oh by the way battling is not a valued commodity , so some tell me on here.

I don't think one person has said Heskey had a good game, it's just some people don't think Carew had a good game. Just clumsy and constantly giving free-kicks away, loses his battle with his man.

Not the first time Carew is constantly penalised by a referee for everything though.

A word on the linesman, how the hell were Delph and Delfouneso offside in the second half, deserves to be reported for those shockers.

Just got back from Selhurst Park, escaped to the safety of South West London!

That was a cracking game, a proper cup tie, and it was little to do with all the tactical/formation stuff that people have been posting about. It was all about emotion. Palace got on a roll, the crowd got behind them and it was a real test of Villa's character. I thought we had lost it in the first part of the second half, particularly when the defence (and Carew) started arguing amongst themselves. But the onslaught on the Palace goal in the last fifteen minutes was tremendous and the equaliser was the bare minimum we deserved.

So, well done, boys, you passed the bottle test. I think the atmosphere and the progress of the replay will be very different.

A few thoughts on performances.

We really missed Gabby's pace. When he doesn't play, you remember how much we rely on him. Heskey seemed to get injured in about the 2nd minute and we were slow and blunt up front from then on.

Cracking performances from Petrov and Delph, although the latter went and spoiled it again by losing his head & getting booked. I hope this isn't going to be a major problem in his career.

Carew looks to be getting back to some sort of sharpness so that is good news.

I had a birds eye view of the A Young penalty claim and I couldn't see from where I sat why it wasn't given.

You say Delph spoilt it by getting a yellow but you musn't have saw it properly.

I saw it on TV and Delph kicked the ball out for a throw in and didn't even touch the Crystal palace player and then the Palace player started rolling around. You could tell it wasn't a foul, especially when you could see Delph's face, he was thinking like 'WTF?'

Not a single player put in a man of the match performance for Villa today. Everyone has distinctly average. As posted earlier, our midfield was out-fought and we never really got going.

The officials today were appauling. Quite possibly the worst performances I have ever seen. They got nearly every single decision wrong - the only one that was right was the penalty.

Relieved we got the draw.

So uninspriing as an attacking force.

And Heskey didnt disappoint with his getting hurt routine. If only we got points for that, he'd be lethal for us..

The disappointment for me is how the likes of Heskey can carry on with poor performances and a "sick note" injury record and other players get hit much easier for what appears far less.

Not the first time Carew is constantly penalised by a referee for everything though.

A word on the linesman, how the hell were Delph and Delfouneso offside in the second half, deserves to be reported for those shockers.

Well if you look at the free-kicks that were given against him, the defenders get infront and he just literally pushes them off balance. Of course he's going to give away free-kicks if he does that. He doesn't battle with his defender enough in terms of getting infront of his man and securing the ball. It's like he isn't that bothered and defenders simply get infront of him way too easily and he just doesn't retain possesion.

As others have said 4-5-1 with Heskey just didnt work.

I would have had Ash Young on the bench and played Carew and Delf up front.

We got balls into the box but nobody gets on the end of them.

As a manager Carew would do your fruit in giving away needless frekicks which just took the pressure off their back-four.

Pretty confident that we will do them at Villa Park and we should have enough to get through to the semis.

Don't know why Petrov has got so many votes. I thought he was anonymous for the majoirty of the game. Delph and Milner weren't great either. We just out fought in midfield, that was the main problem today.

The Fonz, Downing and Young provided our threat today.

Warnock looked very rusty.

Thought it was a typical cup tie all kick and rush without much quality. Warnock sent his team out to rough us up and generally it worked. We didn't have enough steel in our midfield to win the battle and certainly not enough ability to enforce a passing game on them. Palace deserve great credit for their performance, while we have produced another poor performance in a season full of them.

Our football is putrid to watch and we lack vital incrediants in certain areas.

For a team suppose to be full of pace, we have very little in the centre midfield positions where it is vital to have as an attacking option. Our midfield also lacks bite which was pretty evident today again.

Young and Downing being our most creative outlet in wide areas simply don't create enough and as for our forwards....Jesus!

With the exception of Gabby, who still has a way to go to be the forward we need, the rest of our strikers don't score enough, or carry enough threat.

There is a lack of balance in our team, not enough pace in centre midfield, pace on the flanks and in our forward line when Gabby plays, but not the creativity we need and strikers who don't score enough.

On a brighter note, Fonzie again looked good when he came on and looked a threat whenever we got the ball to him. Our best two strikers then, not purchased by Martin, but born from our academy. Maybe now is the time to unleash the Gabby Fonzie partnership on the Premiership? At least it might promote more of a passing game through the middle for us and kick the hoofball out the window?

It might also give us better balance if we switch Downing from wide areas to centre midfield, just to see if he could become our midfield playmaker?

I've seen enough of Milner in midfield now to say that he is not the answer to our lack of creativity and he also lacks pace.

I'd say it would be a lot easier than the Carling Cup Final

To be honest if Villa did get to the semi's, I'm not sure whether I'd go because it is a lot of money and hopefully I'd save my money for the FA Cup final ;)

I'm a season ticket holder by the way