• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey HT)
    • Delfouneso (for Delph 75)

People have been crying out for 4-5-1 (including me at times) as it seems to work, but only against the big teams, when you only switch to 4-5-1 when it's lower league opposition it's absolutely baffling. I know Gabby was out but we still had 2 international strikers and a very promising youngster.

I think Gabby's our only striker capable of playing up front by himself, Heskey has the workrate but not the ability where Carew has the Ability but not the workrate.

Knew it'd be tough. But when that free kick went in I thought it was game over. we showed good spirit to get ourselves back into it. Delph impressed as did Delf when he came on. I dont see the replay being anywhere near as tough if I'm honest though.

Palace getting outraged that we returned the ball to them for a throw-in when their goalkeeper threw it out because he wanted to tie his laces was hilarious, particularly given that they'd done the same thing when Warnock had to go off because one of their players elbowed him in the face, and then ruthlessly attacked the left back position the whole time he was off.

When Warnock pointed out that this had happened twice later in the game, the ref seemed to respond by sending him off to change his shirt because he had blood on it

Was the ref as bad as he looked at the game?

**** great goal by Ambrose

Others also agree with me :-)

That's the intarwebs for ye

I'm one of them.

Me too. Carew led the line as best he could. What do people expect from him if he's constantly being forced to play with his back to the goal.

Just got back from Selhurst Park, escaped to the safety of South West London!

That was a cracking game, a proper cup tie, and it was little to do with all the tactical/formation stuff that people have been posting about. It was all about emotion. Palace got on a roll, the crowd got behind them and it was a real test of Villa's character. I thought we had lost it in the first part of the second half, particularly when the defence (and Carew) started arguing amongst themselves. But the onslaught on the Palace goal in the last fifteen minutes was tremendous and the equaliser was the bare minimum we deserved.

So, well done, boys, you passed the bottle test. I think the atmosphere and the progress of the replay will be very different.

A few thoughts on performances.

We really missed Gabby's pace. When he doesn't play, you remember how much we rely on him. Heskey seemed to get injured in about the 2nd minute and we were slow and blunt up front from then on.

Cracking performances from Petrov and Delph, although the latter went and spoiled it again by losing his head & getting booked. I hope this isn't going to be a major problem in his career.

Carew looks to be getting back to some sort of sharpness so that is good news.

I had a birds eye view of the A Young penalty claim and I couldn't see from where I sat why it wasn't given.

£550. Ouch.

Mass changes? 4/5 changes? Who knows, might of battled harder.

4/5 Being the odds mate... Congrats to you and pals wanting mass changes!..

No, I'm saying how is 4/5 changes, mass changes?

Who knows, they might of competed better and Delfouneso's pace had he played might of got in behind alot more and caused more problems.

Guest Ricardomeister

A pretty poor performance with the usual predictable and one dimensional play but, on clear cut chances, we deserved a draw imo. Today showed how much we miss Gabby as an outlet. Carew, for all his laziness, at least threatened to score unlike Heskey again. Playing Heskey on his own up front was never going to work. Friedel made 2 big mistakes but is still our best keeper.

I hope we put out as strong a team as possible for the replay. A professional athlete should be able to recover between Wednesday and Sunday! We have been incredibly lucky with the cup draws and can now get to Wembley twice without having to face a single top 10 side. Playing our strongest team will give us the best chance of not blowing such a great opportunity.

Firstly how did Warnock see the ball bounce of Fonz's head from where he was sitting, now fair point he's right lets get that out the way regardless of what the Ref short changed us on, he's right, But, how did Warnock see that, at that speed and to be that sure to create such a din about it. I watched the replay having been told on TV by Warnock moaning and still struggled to see it.

Secondly, IMO take Gabriel Agbonlahor out of the Villa side and we cease to function as a unit from midfield to our front men, the side becomes distinctly average, Ash Young I swear god got down to the touchline got his head up more than once expecting Gabby to be there and yet knowing he wasn't still fired the ball straight across the goal, that's not shouting Gabby's praises its shouting we should have got a credible striker in because as we all can see Heskey don't do it for Villa, Carew I'm not sure if its just the way the fella is as a human being but the words Urgency and Carew just don't fit.

Fact is we have a replay and we have to make a decision as to what side we put out in this pressure game replay just a few days before we face Man Utd in a final at Wembley in a massive game, one things for sure Crystal Palace won't come to Villa park as just another replay from a team that over achieved, they are fighting for there lives as a club and they know the prize is Reading or West Brom which they will be slavering about and they will see a Semi Final and a dramatic easing of there financial problems, and of course do we want to risk again our better players to a club ready to make desperate tackles and commit everything.

£550. Ouch.

Mass changes? 4/5 changes? Who knows, might of battled harder.

4/5 Being the odds mate... Congrats to you and pals wanting mass changes!..

No, I'm saying how is 4/5 changes, mass changes?

Who knows, they might of competed better and Delfouneso's pace had he played might of got in behind alot more and caused more problems.

I take it your not very old kid... Hence odds 4/5.....

Never mind...

I had a birds eye view of the A Young penalty claim and I couldn't see from where I sat why it wasn't given

It wasnt a penalty from what I could see on TV. Right call from the ref, who otherwise was shit the whole game...

thought our whole midfield was poor today. Apart from Dunne, Collins, L.Young.

Not sure anyone else had a good game, perhaps Downing for his general delivery and creation of chances.

You don't seem to like giving Petrov any praise? The man was a real leader and battler today as he cannot be fully fit. Not just the goal but his all round performance. The goal did typify a captain's goal though.

poor performance again

A pretty poor performance with the usual predictable and one dimensional play
Sorry, it wasn't a poor performance.

It was a typical cup tie against a side from a lower division who have their tails up after taking a Premiership scalp and who fancied another one. Villa did well to hang in there and we now have a chance to calm things down and play a more controlled game at Villa Park.