The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No one cares about that freak show, it deserves it's own thread if people want to talk about it, perhaps better fitting for the joke thread.

Sadly your right. If canelo couldnt get near mayweather McGregor has no chance in a boxing match

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Sadly your right. If canelo couldnt get near mayweather McGregor has no chance in a boxing match

McGregor wouldn't even win the Irish Welterweight title. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I can't believe Mcgregor has managed to blag a $100m payday against one of the greatest pound for pound boxers ever in a sport he doesn't even participate in. How on earth is that even possible?

I hope he gets decked in the first and there is absolutely no talk of a re-match.

I really hate Floyd Mayweather. He's brilliant at what he does but it's really not a style of boxing I enjoy watching. Yet somehow he always seems to make fights that I want to watch. Yet every time I come away bored and thinking what a waste of time that was. 

This will be exactly the same but yet I'll still watch it. I feel like a fly bouncing off a light. 

I don't think McGregor will hit him once. 

1 hour ago, West said:

Can't rule out a fix either. Here's your $100m Conor, try your best but make sure Floyd looks better kinda deal...

I wouldn't be suprised. Mcrgregor is all about the money

2 hours ago, West said:

Can't rule out a fix either. Here's your $100m Conor, try your best but make sure Floyd looks better kinda deal...

Yes, reading the between the lines, some kind of fix could definitely be on the cards. I'm fairly certainly Mayweather will make McGregor look more competitive than he actually should look. Hell, he may even let Conor land a few shots early. 

At best this should be an 'exhibition'. As I said, McGregor, as a boxer, wouldn't even be good enough to be Irish junior middleweight champion. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can you imagine though if Mcgregor somehow got a lucky punch and knocked him out? He definitely can knock him out but if Canelo couldn't lay a finger on him Mcgregor has no chance 

Striking and punching in boxing are different techniques. I doubt McGregor will have the 'power' fighting out of a boxing stance with 10 oz gloves on. 

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends in a DQ, Mcgregor gets caught by something and survival instinct takes over and hi kicks out.

Mayweather hasn't KO'd anyone for years so it will likely to be a long dull fight of him hiding behind his shoulder slapping McGregor when he lunges in but not coming from a boxing background Mcgregor may just catch him with a shot from a completely unexpected angle and from his KO record in UFC it seems he can punch.

There is a big difference in punching someone with 4oz ufc gloves to punching someone with 10oz boxing gloves though so who knows and Mayweather certainly isn't going to be charging across the ring at him

Might chuck £20 on a McGregor win by KO in rounds 1-3 just in case though

I guess the Vegas time will mean that the UK PPV will be £20-25 but showtime will be charging $125-150 which is just insane

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends in a DQ, Mcgregor gets caught by something and survival instinct takes over and hi kicks out.

Mayweather hasn't KO'd anyone for years so it will likely to be a long dull fight of him hiding behind his shoulder slapping McGregor when he lunges in but not coming from a boxing background Mcgregor may just catch him with a shot from a completely unexpected angle and from his KO record in UFC it seems he can punch.

There is a big difference in punching someone with 4oz ufc gloves to punching someone with 10oz boxing gloves though so who knows and Mayweather certainly isn't going to be charging across the ring at him

Might chuck £20 on a McGregor win by KO in rounds 1-3 just in case though

I guess the Vegas time will mean that the UK PPV will be £20-25 but showtime will be charging $125-150 which is just insane

LOL just LOL

For the boxing fans - what other events in history are comparible to this one as a spectacle?

The only one I'm aware of is Antonio Inoki v Muhammed Ali, which took place in Tokyo in '76. Everyone knows Ali of course, but for those who don't know Inoki he is one of the all time great Japanese professional wrestlers, trained by Rikidozan and Karl Gotch, the fathers of Puroresu (Japanese ProWrestling), and he founded NJPW which is probably the best wrestling promotion in the world and has been for some time.

Ali was the world heavyweight champion at the time, and Inoki was the heavyweight champion in the wrestling promotion he worked in at the time. The event was alledged to have been seen by hundreds of millions of people, with entire sports arenas being sold out to show the card. The fight was supposedly sanctioned under 'special rules', but they muddied the waters that much that it's unclear the fighters themselves knew what the rules were, let alone the fans.

Spoiler

140812-inoki-gp-5a_3_27d7f53e2bc6c98440f

It's worth reading about if only for it being a clash of sporting disciplines the likes of which the world probably hasn't seen since, but the fight itself was massively controversial, and ended in a draw on points. It also had repercusions on Ali's career afterwards, and paved the way for MMA in Japan, starting with Pancrase in the early 90s.

I couldn't quite believe it had happened when I first heard about it (not all that long ago), so I wonder if there are any other examples I'm not aware of.

As for this fight, it does make me wonder where McGregor goes from there. I can see him being battered and bruised at the end of the fight, hugging it out with Mayweather, then calling out, well, pick your weight class and whoever the champion is at that in the UFC. He knows the power he has, but as an MMA fan I really don't want to see him walking out of this circus in to a title fight at the end of the year in UFC. But he probably will.

Edited by hogso
Added a picture in spoilers for added context

i think it'll play out like the hatton fight, mcgregor aggressive in the first round, mayweather picking him off, frustrating him, after 3-4 rounds it will just be mcgregor aimlessly coming forward whilst mayweather gets his round winning punches in and dances off waiting for mcgregor to get tired and do something stupid that leads to the KO

the only interesting thing for me is i can picture mcgregor piling in thinking he's got a chin than can take mayweathers shots

28 minutes ago, hogso said:

As for this fight, it does make me wonder where McGregor goes from there. 

Im pretty sure this very easy to answer: he will retire!

Maybe the smallest chance of fighting for the belt at 170.

Hes never going to defend a title, its not the way he works, as he keeps pushing forward. if he lost a title defending it he would lose so much of his hype (Money) and Legacy (Controversial but he is probably been worth over $1bn to UFC). The only fight i see him going for is 170 belt, to be 3 weight champion.

As you can tell i love Conor and i think what hes done in promoting himself, to get to this stage, has been out of this world. He obviously has no chance in the fight though.

2 minutes ago, zak said:

Im pretty sure this very easy to answer: he will retire!

Yes, I could understand that. Maybe it's his charisma winning me over, but from what I've seen of the guy (which is quite a lot over the years), I've always felt he's quite a sincere chap, and if he can ride off in to the sunset with hundreds of millions of dollars in his pocket to spend real quality time with his family, it would make sense to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yes, I could understand that. Maybe it's his charisma winning me over, but from what I've seen of the guy (which is quite a lot over the years), I've always felt he's quite a sincere chap, and if he can ride off in to the sunset with hundreds of millions of dollars in his pocket to spend real quality time with his family, it would make sense to me.

Â