The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

OK lets switch the convo as this mayweather mcgregor talk is just nonsese as mayweather is going to win comfortably.

lets talk about a REAL fight this weekend. Ward vs Kovalev II

Now this should be a great fight, its a tough one to call but I expect Ward to outbox him again. Barring the second round knock down Kovalev could not touch Ward and I expect the same here. Ward is just a class boxer. Its such a shame he isn't a heavyweight would like to have seen him go up against Joshua 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

For the boxing fans - what other events in history are comparible to this one as a spectacle?

There have been a few the other way around (boxers in MMA fights) but they are usually well past their prime and rather tubby.

Most recently i guess 48 year old Ray Mercer KO'd Tim Sylvia (who had held the ufc title 2 years earlier) with one punch but he also got choked out by Kimbo Slice in a minute.

There are a bunch of UFC fighters that have also had pro boxing fights at low levels but many of them had been kickboxers first and made the switch to boxing before going on to UFC/MMA

Anderson Silva always wanted a fight with Roy Jones Jr (boxing rules) but UFC wouldn't let him although he did manage to box a few times including a 2nd round KO of Julio Cesar De Jesus in 2005 although this was de Jesus only fight that i can see so who knows if he was even a boxer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

OK lets switch the convo as this mayweather mcgregor talk is just nonsese as mayweather is going to win comfortably.

lets talk about a REAL fight this weekend. Ward vs Kovalev II

Now this should be a great fight, its a tough one to call but I expect Ward to outbox him again. Barring the second round knock down Kovalev could not touch Ward and I expect the same here. Ward is just a class boxer. Its such a shame he isn't a heavyweight would like to have seen him go up against Joshua 

Totally wrong, look at the fight stats, Kovalev landed more punches. Kov was robbed first time, should win this time. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zak said:

yep, it'll be forgotten in the light of this fight but he's spent years fishing for the WWE on social media, he's hounded Cena, he hounded mayweather, got his fight, will get his money, his missus will be wearing them red panties for the rest of this week

after that he'll be seen fighting jean claude van damme in a straight to DVD film...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Totally wrong, look at the fight stats, Kovalev landed more punches. Kov was robbed first time, should win this time. 

I thought ward just nicked it in the end, think he wins more comfortably this time.

Can Paul Smith finally land a world title this weekend?

He's had plenty of chances and churned out some piss poor performances over the years i don't rate him and this is definitely last chance saloon.

I remember him when he was on the contender 10 years ago barking on about how he was going to be a world champion.

Edited by AshVilla

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Can Paul Smith finally land a world title this weekend?

He's had plenty of chances and churned out some piss poor performances over the years i don't rate him and this is definitely last chance saloon.

I remember him when he was on the contender 10 years ago barking on about how he was going to be a world champion.

He's a word removed, I hope his career gets ended, Zeuge is shit as well, maybe slightly less shit than Smith. Total joke this is fight for a world title, pathetic indictment of the sport.

What an absolute joke that was. Kovalev was stunned, but the ref should not have stopped that fight at all, and what about Ward's medley of low blows? Ridiculous. Had Kovalev winning by that stage as well. Ward is one of the dirtiest fighters I've ever seen, and among the most boring. 

Tony Weeks needs to be investigated, the stoppage was 'forced' by nothing but low blows, utterly pathetic. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What an absolute joke that was. Kovalev was stunned, but the ref should not have stopped that fight at all, and what about Ward's medley of low blows? Ridiculous. Had Kovalev winning by that stage as well. Ward is one of the dirtiest fighters I've ever seen, and among the most boring. 

Tony Weeks needs to be investigated, the stoppage was 'forced' by nothing but low blows, utterly pathetic. 

Was a bit of a strange one, not sure why he didn't give him a count rather than stopping the fight. Looked like he was done at that point anyway

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've not seen the fight - how did the judges have it when low blows and dodgy refereeing brought it to an end?

Ward was up by one on two of the judges cards, Kovalev up by three on the other card. Steve Weisfeld, who is one of the better judges out there, is the one who had Kovalev up.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

40 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Was a bit of a strange one, not sure why he didn't give him a count rather than stopping the fight. Looked like he was done at that point anyway

I still can't really figure it out. Tony Weeks is certainly one of the better 'high profile' refs in boxing. It was an extremely bizarre decision to just stop the fight and it was gross incompetence to not pick up the low blows. Ward landed three clear low blows to force the stoppage, Weeks should have stepped in to take a point off Ward. 

When it comes to Ward, he's really just the spitting imagine of a younger Hopkins. Both are extremely dirty fighters, but both masterful at getting away with it. Clear fouls, such as headbutting, rabbit punching, low blows and wrestling on the inside excessively, are passed off as 'slick' boxing and 'veteran' tactics. How I long for the days of James Toney and Roy Jones. Both would have ran through Andre Ward. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â