The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont know if Spence is a better fighter. Brooks probably come back too soon. That golovkin fight has probably ruined his career

Spence was very good and tricky but i tjink if this was brook post golovkin  i think he would have won

I'm pretty convinced Spence is the better all rounder. Brook is flashier but Spence is great up close and can fight long too, also has more power. Not sure any version of Brook beats him, Brook didn't look damaged goods early on, Spence just got to him, finding nice little adjustments and grinding Brook down. Spence has a similar style to Hagler IMO. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Fight went as I thought, high class stuff, the commentary, as ever on Sky, utterly abysmal. Froch is a total joke, I have no idea how he had Brook 5 rounds up at one point, and Adam Smith was an annoying as ever. 

Big loss to have no Paulie in the box. Froch is embarrassingly biased on his cards towards any British fighter. 

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm pretty convinced Spence is the better all rounder. Brook is flashier but Spence is great up close and can fight long too, also has more power. Not sure any version of Brook beats him, Brook didn't look damaged goods early on, Spence just got to him, finding nice little adjustments and grinding Brook down. Spence has a similar style to Hagler IMO. 

The thing is brook was dominating early rounds and he had spence where he wanted him. Then once again he suffered a eye injury which seems to have played a role as he couldnt seem to hit him in the later rounds.

I think the weighy perhaps was a issue. Spence was goof though very good.  Im not sure he will dominate the division like you say but we shall soon see. He needs to stop fighing bums now as really brook is only guy he has fought. Algeri is probably the only credible fighter he has fought other than brook. 

Thurman vs Spence should be the next one

As for brook he needs to take a very long break. Khan hasnt boxed in how long? Brook came back to early in my view

Edited by Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is brook was dominating early rounds and he had spence where he wanted him. Then once again he suffered a eye injury which seems to have played a role as he couldnt seem to hit him in the later rounds.

I think the weighy perhaps was a issue. Spence was goof though very good.  Im not sure he will dominate the division like you say but we shall soon see. He needs to stop fighing bums now as really brook is only guy he has fought. Algeri is probably the only credible fighter he has fought other than brook. 

Thurman vs Spence should be the next one

As for brook he needs to take a very long break. Khan hasnt boxed in how long? Brook came back to early in my view

I have to disagree. Brook was not 'dominating', he won some of the early rounds not all, he was boxing very well, but Spence was landing shots and doing good things too, including working Brook's body which IMO slowed him down in from the 6th onwards, even before the eye injury you could see a visible change in Brook's energy levels. The fight was fairly even before the eye injury (don't be fooled by Sky team's bias) and even then, the injury was caused by a punch so not really 'unlucky'. I just don't think there's any excuses other than Spence being the better fighter.

Harsh to say Spence needs to stop fighting bums lol, he's had 22 pro fights, Brook is a great win, Algieri is respectable given it was a knockout win, he is being moved up quickly, he has been a pro five years and now has a legit world title winning it against a legit welterweight in his own backyard by stoppage. Brook was still fighting journeymen after 22 fights. He was still fighting Frankie Gavin after more than 30 fights lol. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

5 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Brook is done

Cue his obligatory fight with Khan before he retires

Hearn hype train in overdrive zzz

It was an excellent match up (another good fight brought to British soil thanks to Eddie Hearn) culminating in Brook being outclassed by the better man. Not sure you can really say there was any overhyping of Brook. 

35 minutes ago, West said:

It was an excellent match up (another good fight brought to British soil thanks to Eddie Hearn) culminating in Brook being outclassed by the better man. Not sure you can really say there was any overhyping of Brook. 

Agreed, Brook is an excellent welterweight, would pick him over Thurman, Pacquiao, Khan, Vargas, Bradley and Garcia, Spence is just a special fighter. I think Kell could have been better if he wasn't overprotected over the course of his career mind, I think he has missed out on some good learning experiences and that Golovkin fight was a bad idea, think it has shaved a year or two off his career. But yeah, still an excellent boxer.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agreed, Brook is an excellent welterweight, would pick him over Thurman, Pacquiao, Khan, Vargas, Bradley and Garcia, Spence is just a special fighter. I think Kell could have been better if he wasn't overprotected over the course of his career mind, I think he has missed out on some good learning experiences and that Golovkin fight was a bad idea, think it has shaved a year or two off his career. But yeah, still an excellent boxer.

So his first 20 odd fights were against nobody's, and his last 2 fights were guys many thought would outclass him?

I may not be a huge boxing fan but I'm beginning to see why Hearn gets booed. That is terrible management from start to finish. 

Just watched the fight again i had Brook about 4 rounds up going into round 6 then the fight just turned massively in Spence favor i'm not sure what adjustments he made or if kell switched off but round 7 was definitely the turning point.

Spence is one of the most vicious body punchers i have seen

14 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Just watched the fight again i had Brook about 4 rounds up going into round 6 then the fight just turned massively in Spence favor i'm not sure what adjustments he made or if kell switched off but round 7 was definitely the turning point.

You answered your own question. It was the body shots that slowed Brook down.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

14 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I do think it was a mental thing for brook. He even admits he had the eye in his thoughts of when consultant said to him if he boxed any longer agianst golovkin that he could have been blind in that eye.

Hearn poorly advised him and that fight has ruined his career. He should have had his fight with spence then unify agianst Thurman if he got past spence. Then go up have a warm up fight at middleweight then fight golovokin. Hearn just cares about the money not hos boxers.

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do think it was a mental thing for brook. He even admits he had the eye in his thoughts of when consultant said to him if he boxed any longer agianst golovkin that he could have been blind in that eye.

Hearn poorly advised him and that fight has ruined his career. He should have had his fight with spence then unify agianst Thurman if he got past spence. Then go up have a warm up fight at middleweight then fight golovokin. Hearn just cares about the money not hos boxers.

No version of Brook beats Spence.

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

The version that didn't have his eye seriously messed up by Golovkin would have a much better chance.

I think it might have been the difference between a stoppage and the fight going the distance, but that's it. The eye injury probably would have happened anyway given it was Brook's other eye, the Golovkin experience probably influenced him to quit. 

I said before the fight that Spence's style is quite a bad one for Brook. He doesn't really cope well with pressure (Carsen Jones first fight and spells in the Porter fight), and Spence has a lot more skill and power than those fighters he struggled with (GGG aside).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

44 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No version of Brook beats Spence.

That's debatable in my eyes mate although you do raise some good points. I think brook was in control for the first six rounds then the eye started to swell up again and it caused brook problems in top of Spences change in tactics.

i think if this was pre golovkin he may have won this fight

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That's debatable in my eyes mate although you do raise some good points. I think brook was in control for the first six rounds then the eye started to swell up again and it caused brook problems in top of Spences change in tactics.

i think if this was pre golovkin he may have won this fight

I'd implore you to watch the fight again, ideally with the sound off, he wasn't in control, he was winning rounds, but it was competitive, and Spence won at least 2 of the first 6 rounds, Brook slowed down before his eye blew up due to Spence's body attacks.

• 2 weeks later...
Â