The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

McGregor is going to get out classed and then knocked out, it will be the easiest fight of Mayweather's career, it will be easier than any sparring he has ever had as well.

I dont think he is going to knock him out, but Mayweather will outclass points win in my view. But if Mcgregor somehow lands a punch Mayweather is dropping

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

in america it is

And McGregor is of course from the famous American city of Dublin, there's no racism here. 

McGregor is a showman, Mayweather is a showman, they are here to sell tickets and PPV buys and they both know that talking smack is the way to way to achieve that.  I dare say they have a cordial, if not friendly relationship with each other when the cameras are not rolling.  It's a massive payday for both camps, Mayweather will win easily but McGregor gets to go back to UFC significantly richer and with his head held high because all he needs to say is that boxing isn't his sport and the tools he has used to great success in MMA aren't available to him under Queensberry rules. Leo Messi is a genus with a ball but he ain't going to open the batting for Yorkshire anytime soon is he? 

I'm not buying the fight at that price. I'll look for a dodgy stream if I'm awake or fine a video of it the next morning if not. It's a wide win for Floyd, I can't see him knocking Conor out cold but I'd not be surprised if it gets stopped by the referee or McGregor's corner at some point. 

I picture it going the way of the Gatti fight. I think this was Floyd at his absolute peak and obviously he's not as quick at 40 as he was when he was 28, but then Gatti was probably more of a threat to him than McGregor is. One way traffic until the 12th round or it gets stopped. 

I think the problem here is that all the experts & Mayweather himself think that Mcgregor is going to treat this like a traditional boxing match and stand there throwing jabs and trying to find an opening.

I do not believe this will be the case at all, at least for the first 3-4 rounds, Mcgregor probably has it in him to just go in there windmilling and chasing him around for 10 minutes or so before wearing himself out and this is probably his best chance of winning. He isn't coming from a normal boxing background so will be throwing punches from all sorts of weird angles that Mayweather will not be used to/expecting and he certainly would not be used to someone basically running at him.

Mcgregor hits hard and potentially only needs 1 or 2 to connect to achieve a KO and if he throws enough crazy shots for the first few rounds he may well just land one.

Mayweather isn't regarded as an especially hard puncher, in the last 10+ years he has stopped 2 people so i don't think Mcgregor will be that concerned about potentially leaving himself open to a big shot whilst he tries to knock his head off.

If he is unable to do this quickly i would imagine then that Mayweather will take over and it will resort to a more traditional fight but the first few rounds may just throw up a surprise

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think he is going to knock him out, but Mayweather will outclass points win in my view. But if Mcgregor somehow lands a punch Mayweather is dropping

No he's not. Do you really think, in a boxing match, with boxing technique, with boxing gloves on, that McGregor hits harder pound for pound than Pacquiao, Maidana, Canelo, Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya, Cotto? I don't think so. 'Striking' is very different from 'punching' (in the boxing sense).  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I think the problem here is that all the experts & Mayweather himself think that Mcgregor is going to treat this like a traditional boxing match and stand there throwing jabs and trying to find an opening.

I do not believe this will be the case at all, at least for the first 3-4 rounds, Mcgregor probably has it in him to just go in there windmilling and chasing him around for 10 minutes or so before wearing himself out and this is probably his best chance of winning. He isn't coming from a normal boxing background so will be throwing punches from all sorts of weird angles that Mayweather will not be used to/expecting and he certainly would not be used to someone basically running at him.

Mcgregor hits hard and potentially only needs 1 or 2 to connect to achieve a KO and if he throws enough crazy shots for the first few rounds he may well just land one.

Mayweather isn't regarded as an especially hard puncher, in the last 10+ years he has stopped 2 people so i don't think Mcgregor will be that concerned about potentially leaving himself open to a big shot whilst he tries to knock his head off.

If he is unable to do this quickly i would imagine then that Mayweather will take over and it will resort to a more traditional fight but the first few rounds may just throw up a surprise

I think you are massively overrating McGregor's power and his 'angles'. I can accept that if Mayweather doesn't take this serious, that an unorthodox guy could clip him with a few shots, but this is still unlikely. McGregor has no boxing acumen, he was getting schooled by Chris Van Der Heeden in sparring, he will not get through Mayweather's defence and will be getting potshotted and countered all night. 

Mayweather isn't a massive puncher but does punch hard enough to keep you honest, hence no one walks through him, he had Cotto badly hurt in their fight and Cotto is a pretty big guy. The way I see it, first 3-4 rounds will be relatively cagey, Mayweather will be defensive, will counter and pot shot. McGregor will eat these for several rounds and the damage will accumulate. Mayweather will then step forward as he can do and be more aggressive and get McGregor out of there on accumulation, he won't spark McGregor out but it will be stopped by the ref.

Question.  Does Mayweather have a good chin?  I mean surely he'll have been hit properly at some point in his 49 fights.  But his defence is SO well renowned that I'm wondering if it's his defence rather than his ability to take and absorb a punch on the noggin that has got him to here.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Question.  Does Mayweather have a good chin?  I mean surely he'll have been hit properly at some point in his 49 fights.  But his defence is SO well renowned that I'm wondering if it's his defence rather than his ability to take and absorb a punch on the noggin that has got him to here.

Yes he does. If you want to see him get hit flush watch his fights with Chop Chop Corley and Zab Judah. He also got caught flush at times by Maidana, De La Hoya, Pacquiao and Cotto. Judah actually knocked him down but it wasn't ruled. The most hurt I've seen Mayweather is round 2 of the Mosley fight, he took two enormous right hands and was very, very unsteady, but did not go down. 

McGregor won't hit as hard as these guys IMO, people need to stop making out that McGregor has Julian Jackson level one punch KO power with 10oz boxing gloves on.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes he does. If you want to see him get hit flush watch his fights with Chop Chop Corley and Zab Judah. He also got caught flush at times by Maidana, De La Hoya and Cotto. Judah actually knocked him down but it wasn't ruled. The most hurt I've seen Mayweather is round 2 of the Mosley fight, he took two enormous right hands and was very, very unsteady, but did not go down. 

McGregor won't hit as hard as these guys IMO, people need to stop making out that McGregor has Julian Jackson level one punch KO power with 10oz boxing gloves on.

Thanks :thumb:  By the way I'm in the 'Mayweather will win easily' camp.  I'm just asking the novice questions as they come to me :)  I've backed Floyd to win in each of the first 4 rounds because the odds were that good, and there is the scenario where Conor's 'windmill' is so enthusiastic and he is as outmatched as everyone is saying, that he does indeed walk straight onto a haymaker.  You never know :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coda said:

This is like Daley Thompson challenging Carl Lewis to a 100 metres.

I like that analogy :thumb: It's just the consequences that are more severe.

42 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No he's not. Do you really think, in a boxing match, with boxing technique, with boxing gloves on, that McGregor hits harder pound for pound than Pacquiao, Maidana, Canelo, Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya, Cotto? I don't think so. 'Striking' is very different from 'punching' (in the boxing sense).  

I dunno mate mcrgegor looks like he has a punch on him. Canelo never landed one on him clean I think if he did Mayweather wouldnt be getting up. Mayweather completely out boxed him. Canelo oculdnt get near him. Although I think if they fought now Canelo would probably win

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

If McGregor windmills in then he's getting counterpunched. Mayweather's ring craft is impeccable,  he's made a career from being able to be two inches out of range and ruthlessly exploiting opponents reaching for him.  

kSjwpeH.gif

Everybody knows he's going to do it but they still can't stop him. It's like defenders knowing Arjen Robben is probably going to cut inside and shoot. 

• Like 2

It's beautiful. Parry, shoulder block, straight right hand and it's all brains over brawn.  Canelo would beat McGregor in a boxing match pretty handily too. 

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dunno mate mcrgegor looks like he has a punch on him.

I don't think anyone suggested he can't punch.  The question was do you reckon he can punch harder than those career boxers within a boxing environment.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't think anyone suggested he can't punch.  The question was do you reckon he can punch harder than those career boxers within a boxing environment.

I think its impossible to say, from what I have seen in UFC and from what some boxers have said who have sparred with him, he has a hell of a punch for his size

1 hour ago, coda said:

This is like Daley Thompson challenging Carl Lewis to a 100 metres.

Best of 10.26 seconds vs 9.86 seconds, If Lewis blinked at the start Daley could have beaten him ;)

'84 Olympics Lewis won 100m gold with 9.99, Thompsons 10.44 decathlon time would have got him through all the heats to the 100m final

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

It's beautiful. Parry, shoulder block, straight right hand and it's all brains over brawn.  Canelo would beat McGregor in a boxing match pretty handily too. 

Frankie Gavin would beat McGregor in a boxing match with ease, let alone Canelo. 

Â