The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

it was a little late but have seen worse in other fights but the ref clearly warns them that the end of the round is coming and to stop at the bell twice in the final 10 seconds

Full fight is on youtube (for now) if you haven't seen it or want to make your own mind up .

skip to 23 mins for the end of the fight

Edited by LakotaDakota

On 5/21/2017 at 11:49, LakotaDakota said:

Bet James DeGale can't wait for his next fight.

Andre Dirrell fought Jose Uzcategui for the interim belt to see who would be the mandatory challenger for Degale.

Dirrell won by DQ after being hit with a punch that KO'd after the bell.

Dirrells uncle (also his trainer) decided he didn't like this very much and did this..

giphy.gif

He is now wanted by maryland police on first degree assault charges after legging it from the venue

I saw this and that is absolutely disgusting and cowardly behavior. Hope they throw the book at him. 

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I expect Brook to have big problems tonight.

I'm not sure I can't really call it, if Brook can keep Spence at range then he has a good chance, Brooks got a great jab.

If Spence gets on the inside and can avoid Brooks punches on the way in then he has a good chance.

First time that Spence has fought anyone of Brooks standard but he certainly looks as though he won't have any problems with the step up.

If love to see Brook win purely because the yanks have Spence down as the next big thing and they think he is unbeatable.

Of course the weight could be an issue for Brook as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm not sure I can't really call it, if Brook can keep Spence at range then he has a good chance, Brooks got a great jab.

If Spence gets on the inside and can avoid Brooks punches on the way in then he has a good chance.

First time that Spence has fought anyone of Brooks standard but he certainly looks as though he won't have any problems with the step up.

If love to see Brook win purely because the yanks have Spence down as the next big thing and they think he is unbeatable.

Of course the weight could be an issue for Brook as well

I don't think Brook keeps anyone at range to be honest, he's more of a counter puncher, yes a very good jab, but isn't 'rangy', Spence has longer arms and a longer reach by some distance. 

Spence's blueprint will surely have elements of what Carsen Jones did to Brook in the first fight - Spence of course being much more powerful, a better body puncher and better at cutting the ring off. 

If Brook keeps large parts of the fight in the centre of the ring and at mid range he will have his biggest success, he should be able to take advantage of some of the crude things Spence does, but then Spence may not be as caviler with Brook in front of him, and Spence certainly can fight in the centre of the ring. That said, if Brook starts to step back and get pushed back he's going to be in a lot of trouble. 

Too much is being made out of resumes, all of a sudden Brook seems to be this massively experienced fighter who has top level experience? 3 fights ago he was fighting Frankie Gavin, two fights ago he was fighting Kevin Bizier. His only good name at welterweight was a very competitive (but clear) win over Porter, who is hardly an elite welterweight. Does getting bludgeoned by Golovkin count for much? Not for me. If you compare Spence's 21 fights with Kell's first 21 fights there's really no comparison, Spence all day, if you take out Porter from Brook's record then even then I'd say Spence has a better resume than Brook, with Bundu and Algieri being arguably better than what Brook has faced. 

Incidentally, an interesting dynamic is that Spence has never fought a puncher, his best wins (Bundu and Algieri) were against total non-punchers. He hasn't had a chin check yet and whilst Brook isn't Julian Jackson, I do believe he's hard, powerful puncher at welterweight. Not heard any sparring stories about Spence having a dodgy chin (his sparring stories are pretty legendary, including giving Mayweather a bit of a beating and KO'ing Broner) but I'm sure he will get a checking tonight. 

Word of warning for any one watching the fight later. As always take Carl Froch's expert opinion with a pinch of salt. In the Dave Allen undercard fight he has just scored it an easy one sided win for Allen only for the judges to have a split decision for the opponent :rolleyes:

Edited by West

@Dr_Pangloss i liķe to watch the odd boxing match that interests me, but I'm no expert. So i just wanted to say your posts in this thread are really interesting tbf. Instead of just watching 2 blokes belting each other I'll watch tonights match thinking about some of the tactical aspects you mentioned above. 

Cheers dude :thumb:

Edited by av1

Fight went as I thought, high class stuff, the commentary, as ever on Sky, utterly abysmal. Froch is a total joke, I have no idea how he had Brook 5 rounds up at one point, and Adam Smith was an annoying as ever. Neither of them called Spence's work properly, trying to portray him as wild early on when his jab was working well, body work excellent and some good short head shots landing. 

It was fairly even until round 6 and Spence took over for me. He adjusted to Brook's counterpunching, doing a better job of swarming him but also finding a home for the right hook, he really beat Brook up at times. I feel for Brook as that eye injury is a potential career ender, Second time in two fights it has flared up, a lot of boxers don't ever recover from a broken orbital bone. Spence is the truth and will go on to dominate the division, he will make mince meat out of Keith Thurman. Brook, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired, unless there's a fight with Amir Khan in the works. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I dont know if Spence is a better fighter. Brooks probably come back too soon. That golovkin fight has probably ruined his career

Spence was very good and tricky but i tjink if this was brook post golovkin  i think he would have won

Â