The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ortiz really isn't very good at all.

Ortiz should fight wilder in my view. It's a dangerous fight for wilder so he probably will avoid him and fight bellew instead which in my view a complete waste of time

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ortiz should fight wilder in my view. It's a dangerous fight for wilder so he probably will avoid him and fight bellew instead which in my view a complete waste of time

Every fight is dangerous for Wilder, he is a dreadful boxer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Joseph Parker is live on Sky Sports 3 at 11am today if anyone fancies watching some live boxing with their corn flakes

How is this guy a world champion. AJ would deal with him quite comfortably. Heck even Bellew would fancy his chances. 

Two years ago I thought Parker would be a genuine player, as a 23 year old he had a unique skillset, very fast hands and explosive combinations, he could do this in the pocket as well, which was more 'unique' at heavyweight where closer quarter fighting had long died a death as the super heavyweights took over the division (Vitali Klitschko aside). 

It's clear to me, having turned 25 this year, he hasn't really developed much at all. It's good that his level of competition has been stepped up, Carlos Takam and Andy Ruiz were very respectable opponents for a young fighter, technically he has a better resume than Deontay Wilder and before Joshua fought Klitschko, you could make the same argument about him as well (although Parker hasn't looked anywhere near as impressive). His fundamental problems are that he doesn't establish the jab well enough, he has a decent jab, but doesn't work off it effectively, and that's a real prerequisite in this division. His power increasingly doesn't look great, more of a 'hit's hard enough to keep you honest' puncher rather than a knockout puncher. He also isn't particularly intelligent, doesn't have much of a plan and doesn't really adjust to what's in front of him, if plan A doesn't work he tends to box in a pretty confused manner. 

I do believe that his trainer Kevin Barry is a problem. Whilst Barry is very much the 'go to guy' in NZ for a heavyweight boxer, I've never felt he's that good. He was long time trainer of David Tua he couldn't get Tua to be anything more than a one dimensional puncher, and in Parker you just see a very one dimensional boxer. A switch in trainer should help him but that's not going to happen. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

He was fighting his ex sparring partner

It was like an exhibition bout for him and a comfortable points win he didn't need to get out of first gear

Edited by AshVilla

Some fairly decent action on later. I have a feeling Chavez is going to give Canelo a lot of problems, I just do not see being the cake walk a lot are making out. Chavez made weight, will rehydrate to close to 190lbs and has looked more motivated for this fight than I have ever seen him before. Undercard is decent as well, Matthysse vs Taylor should be a fun fight. Lucas is definitely on his way out but can still punch, Emmanuel Taylor is a solid boxer and doesn't shy away from action. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think bellew will beat Parker personally. If I was him go for that and then wilder

Parker will smash him up. Don't be fooled by the Haye fight. Parker is a real heavyweight who isn't in his mid 30s with an exploding achiles.

Something really fishy about the Canelo fight. Chavez looked gun shy throughout, barely threw a punch and barely tried, and then, a fight with Golovkin was announced immediately after, GGG entering the ring to his theme on some WWE shit. I'd be inclined to check Chavez' bank account after this.

Matthysse looked really good last night, Taylor is not a bum but Lucas made him look like one. Whilst at 34, I do not expect Matthysse to be a serious player at welterweight, he's never the less a dangerous opponent for most and I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up one of the minor titles.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Quality, I do like Furys playful character I have to admit. He looks really out of shape though. 

I really want to see him fight Wilder before AJ. 

• Like 2

It's a great fight for boxing, a real 'pick em' fight IMO. Spence is a real talent and a rising tide. A lot is made of Spence's resume being weak, but outside of Shawn Porter (and if you count getting the dog shit beaten out of you by Golovkin  as meaningful), Brook's isn't better. 

Spence is very strong, very aggressive, and punches with power and accuracy with both hands, he can also box if he wants to. His tactic should be to jump on Brook because IMO Brook doesn't handle effective, front foot aggression that well, as we saw in the first Carsen Jones fight and in spots against Porter. Spence's weaknesses is that he can often be open to counters when coming forward and Brook is an excellent counter puncher.

Genuinely can't wait for this, it's a rare fight between two top welterweights. 

Lock Fury and Wilder, together in a phone box ,and Wilder would still have difficulty laying a glove on Fury . An unfit, unfocused Fury would give both Wilder and AJ problems. For me , I'd rather see AJ fight Wilder ,career wise it makes more sense, maybe business wise too, giving AJ the chance to shine in front of an American audience on a hot , Las Vegas, desert night , whilst , hopefully pounding to defeat, on his very own doorstep, the big American hype, that is, Deontay Wilder. 

Forget Fury for the time being. 

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Brook fight, although I'm a little apprehensive concerning Brooks task in making the weight ,sometimes a fighter drains himself that much in an attempt to make weight, that come fight night the energy tank is empty . I'm thinking of a drained Don Curry when he was soundly beaten by the brash , up and coming Lloyd Honeyghan. If Brooks isn't at his best then he's in for a hard night. Kell Brook at his peak and as a welterweight is a beast, and this is a significant step up for Spence ,this fight determines his whole future . The best welterweight performance I saw was when Don Curry dismantled Colin Jones in 6 rds at the NEC, and the way Spence is being hyped I'm expecting something very special from him . We've seen Yanks hyped up before , only for them to crumble in the moment , Jeff Lacey, anybody ?

You have to respect Brook for not relinquishing the belt , fingers crossed ,he hasn't bit off more than he can chew .

Â