The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Brook comes out of this looking good regardless of how it ended. It will probably be easy for him to score a couple of big money fights in the States next year. 

He could definitely be a player at 154. I'd pick him over the Charlo brothers and Canelo, although he'd have his work cut out against Demitrious Andrade. I also think a fight against Lara would be very interesting styles clash. 

Middleweight is probably a bridge too far physically, Brook certainly is built to 'show' at that weight, but not built to 'go' IMO. 147lb is now surely too hard to make. He was pretty ripped on the scales at 159lbs so dropping 13lbs+ of muscle is going to disadvantage him.

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Why the hell would Floyd Mayweather, six months from his 40th birthday and with $500m in the bank, want anything to do with GGG?

Thats why I have more respect for Brook than Mayweather. Mayweather doesnt like risks in my opinion

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats why I have more respect for Brook than Mayweather. Mayweather doesnt like risks in my opinion

Would that be the same Mayweather that has beaten the likes of Hernandez, Chavez, Corales, Castillo, Gatti, De la Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Moseley, Cotto, Canelo, Maidana, Pac Man etc? He may have fought Pac Man late and teaken an easier option with Berto right at the end of his career but other than that you can hardly call him a non risk taker, Look at some of those names!

Brook can only ever dream of a record that good, he has made a career fighting total crap with the exception of Porter and Golovkin

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Would that be the same Mayweather that has beaten the likes of Hernandez, Chavez, Corales, Castillo, Gatti, De la Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Moseley, Cotto, Canelo, Maidana, Pac Man etc? He may have fought Pac Man late and teaken an easier option with Berto right at the end of his career but other than that you can hardly call him a non risk taker, Look at some of those names!

Brook can only ever dream of a record that good, he has made a career fighting total crap with the exception of Porter and Golovkin

Mayweather in my opinion should have stepped up as he obviously conquered that weight despite him putting off Pacquio until his career was finished. 

Brook did not embarrass himself against GGG, I think Mayweather would have done no better than Brook in this fight. But this will never happen unfortunately. 

I'm no massive fan of Mayweather but I do think it's harsh to expect him to step up to middleweight. Floyd is hardly a big welterweight and started his career at super featherweight. Brook is a massive welterweight and has really only ever fought at that weight until now. Sugar Ray Robinson is an exception who started at Featherweight and moved up as high as Light Heavyweight, but Mayweather is not cut from the same cloth as Ray Robinson. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm no massive fan of Mayweather but I do think it's harsh to expect him to step up to middleweight. Floyd is hardly a big welterweight and started his career at super featherweight. Brook is a massive welterweight and has really only ever fought at that weight until now. Sugar Ray Robinson is an exception who started at Featherweight and moved up as high as Light Heavyweight, but Mayweather is not cut from the same cloth as Ray Robinson. 

Be interesting to see how brook would do against mayweather doubt the fights big enough for him to come out of retirement for though

I'm a big mayweather fan but the last thing I want to see is him coming out of retirement. 

The only people calling for him to fight GGG are casual fans who are not clued up on the weight difference between the two and people who just want to see Floyd beaten by any means necessary so they can point and laugh.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we'll see Mayweather again - he seems to be enjoying life.

Mayweather I suspect will be back in a ridiculous money fight. I'm predicting he will box McGregor in some short of shite mega money thing that will without out a doubt make a lot of money

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Mayweather one more time.  Retiring on 50-0 and going past Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0 seems to be something which would be very appealing to him. 

Looking at him, he seems a little heavier and a lot more comfortable. So much of what made Mayweather great was in the speed of his reactions, his conditioning and his fitness; he trained like a monster, almost constantly - I think he'll know that getting back there would be very difficult. I think it's made more difficult in that he's not a fighter that can come back and try to win a different way, if he was a banger, then it'd be simpler, but Mayweather fights go a long way, he wears people down, I don't think he can reach that level of conditioning again.

On 9/14/2016 at 08:30, Demitri_C said:

Yeah in a guaranteed victory against that UFC fighter. Have no interest in seeing Mcgregor box Mayweather. Mayweather would humiliate him 

I think he will come back for one last fight, maybe Mcgregor. But he will only do it to win, so it will be a set up. Huge money involved so who ever he fights will lose just to take the money.

If you don't think this happens in boxing, you are very naive.

On 9/9/2016 at 20:37, leemond2008 said:

OH THANKYOU DR P

too many people let national pride get in the way of boxing skills

having said that, how do you think Beefy Smith and Canelo will go?, I really think that Beefy can cause an upset, I'm not saying that he will win but I think he will be a helluva bigger challenge than the yanks are expecting, I like his mentality, he knows that he is seen as the weak link of the division and he is playing on it.

I really like Beefy purely because he is a nasty little bastard, it ain't often that you see someone grin and hear them cackle when they hurt someone

I'm no Canelo fan and certainly want Beefy to win but nothing I've seen from Beefy tells me he has a chance, in fact to me he looks utterly tailor made for Canelo. Beefy tends to plod forward without cutting the ring off with a high guard, this plays into Canelo's hands, he's a very dynamic puncher who prefers to counter punch than simply just come forward. I think Beefy will be a sitting duck for the most part, Smith does have some craft and hits harder than his record suggests so wouldn't be surprised if he has a couple of good rounds but ultimately he won't offer Canelo too many major problems. 

Anyone staying up for Smith tonight? As much as i want to watch it i have had a long week and not sure i have another 4-5 hours left in me tonight :( The undercard isn't exactly thrilling and all of them are likely to go the distance making the main event even further away. Best case scenario is 4am start but more likely to be 5-5.30

I'm watching it, 3:46am at the minute the main event is on after the willie monroe v rosado fight.

I enjoyed the Diaz fight, he looks pretty good, only 23 I think, in 12/18 months he may be one to watch, you wonder about how much power he has although the fight was stopped.

He injured his right hand as well, he didn't want to throw it at all in the last rd.

The closer we are getting to the Smith v Ginger Pubes fight the more I'm thinking that Canelo will have an easy night, Smith gets tagged quite a lot, he may not have been in with the best opposition though so he may make more of an effort to avoid Canelo but I'm not convinced he will be able to, plus with Canelo's upper body/head movement I think he will struggle, and Canelo's punch variety/speed will cause him problems as well.

I know people have been saying that the size difference won't be as big as usual but I'm still expecting Canelo to look big compared to him when they are in the ring, I was hoping Smith would take it to points but unfortunately I don't think he will now.

Â