General Chat

Stevo985

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah my dad's generation in kiddy will all reference nights out in that place, never brum or Worcester or even really pubs in the centre of Stourbridge, it's all kiddy pubs, the stewpony and the cider house in quatt (still don't really know how they all got there)

Has he ever mentioned this old pub (now closed) near Far Forest? 

TEL-139-77951-horse-jockey-far-forest.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah knock all the pubs down then, build them all on the green land, supermarkets take up that land too, get rid of them, just to service the agong population.

Funny your the only one who had to be pedantic about it, ohh and ofcourse the standard from dig from the usual.

It's interesting to hear about this. I feel like it's telling that where I live the problem of overbuilding is consumer-goods distribution warehouses. That's America in a nutshell. It's an absolute scourge of the countryside and inhaler of communities. But we've had some controversial nursing homes go up, too, tbh. The beef people have is often when a home displaces affordable housing for the working class or messes up protected environments such as wetlands or legacy farmland.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

I think you should look up the word pedantic in the dictionary. It’s important that you know the meaning of the words you use. My comment wasn't in the slightest pedantic. I was criticising your imbecilic post. This post is pedantic though, just to help you out with what the word means.

And you want me to be really pedantic, you meant to use you're not your. The last bit also makes no sense whatsoever

I just want to say, humbly, too, that I appreciate how you focus on the post not the person. It's an interesting discussion, you two!

Edited by Marka Ragnos

To me as I walk down Kidderminster highstreet and see that it's absolutely dead, that more than 50% of it is now empty units why would pubs be any different? They don't serve the community any more, people don't use them, they might be traditional and well loved but they're not that well loved cos they're dying on their ass

Care homes on the other hand are seemingly hugely successful businesses and I know first hand they're great for the construction industry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To me as I walk down Kidderminster highstreet and see that it's absolutely dead, that more than 50% of it is now empty units why would pubs be any different? They don't serve the community any more, people don't use them, they might be traditional and well loved but they're not that well loved cos they're dying on their ass

Care homes on the other hand are seemingly hugely successful businesses and I know first hand they're great for the construction industry

My pub, the one I talk about, was always pretty busy. The problem we all had, was the brewery, gave in to an offer for the land disregarding anyone who used it. It also had a bowling green club which apparently had been there for 103 years, an was a big part of the community, they were the ones which fought for it staying open most. I think it was more likely down to greed this one, as in many businesses. We know a property developer who lives next door and used to drink in there often, he said it was done pretty under hand, ignoring objections. It also took around 3 years to get planning, so was just sitting empty and derelict, as it was originally going to be a care home, but they couldn't get planning permission, so ended up being a retirement complex, it's still being built now.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I know it is a different argument to the point being made, but 3 of my Grandparents just withered away physically and mentally before dying. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I'd like to think in future that people have the right to end their own life in a peaceful way before dementia/cancer ravages them. 

Have you considered joining one of the organisations campaigning for this?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Has he ever mentioned this old pub (now closed) near Far Forest? 

TEL-139-77951-horse-jockey-far-forest.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was mainly a restaurant by this point and the wet trade had moved down to the Royal Forester. It had an indoor well with a glass topped table over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend I went to work with and have kept in touch has Parkinsons.It is a terrible sickness to have.He is in a home now because he cant control anything from his neck down.So,while his body and various functions wither away his brain is still very much alert.He is virtually watching himself waste away.

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not really, I went in there a couple of times though, can't remember much of it

7 hours ago, limpid said:

I'm pretty sure it was mainly a restaurant by this point and the wet trade had moved down to the Royal Forester. It had an indoor well with a glass topped table over it.

My dad was born there, and my grandpa died there, upstairs, in the 1920s and 1930s. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That sounds like quite the protracted death.

Unless you took ill at 23.30 on 31 December 2029.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2023 at 06:22, villa4europe said:

The high Street ia dying. I mean when you have places like amazon that offer free delivery and same day delivery in some cases for same price most people will opt for amazon.

Alot of shops near me are empty too on high street. Barring clothes as i like to try them on i just go online most places. The rents for these empty shops as well are astronomical so why bother? Just work from home or your garage if you can

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do we need high streets?

Not in the same way as we used to for sure.

I think quite a bit of Tamworth is going to be converted to be residential rather than commercial.

Was speaking to a local councillor last year and he was speaking about Dudley high street as an example. His thoughts were that units would become mainly bars and food outlets, with living accommodation above these units? 

Alternatively, I suppose everything would become housing and big out of town shopping outlets become the norm or people buy completely online? 

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Was speaking to a local councillor last year and he was speaking about Dudley high street as an example. His thoughts were that units would become mainly bars and food outlets, with living accommodation above these units? 

Alternatively, I suppose everything would become housing and big out of town shopping outlets become the norm or people buy completely online? 

That's sort of what I had in my head. HIgh streets would become restaurants/bars/coffee shops etc and shopping would become something you do at specifically designed outlets or retail parks etc

I think the need to just wander down to the high street is dwindling more and more. I've been walking distance from sutton high street for 6 years and I don't think I've gone there since before Covid.

• Like 1

Â